Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vix 3.0 ImageManager Crashes at 70% and box needs reflash

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Vix 3.0 ImageManager Crashes at 70% and box needs reflash

ImageManager crashes at 70% saying device busy, box stays on but drops telnet and ssh requests, when box is rebooted it doesn't start and needs reflash, it's happeded twice now, don't want to go for a third without a fix. Should I roll back to 2.4, is ImageManger more stable in that version.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge121 View Post
    ImageManager crashes at 70% saying device busy, box stays on but drops telnet and ssh requests, when box is rebooted it doesn't start and needs reflash, it's happeded twice now, don't want to go for a third without a fix. Should I roll back to 2.4, is ImageManger more stable in that version.

Which exact build(s) have you had this problem with, so that we can at least try to replicate your problem ?. also for the record i have made approximately 100 full image and settings backups from within the 3.0 image series on 3 different receivers and all work fine for me.

please provide us with as much information as you can such as which builds this is happening with and where the backups are being created such as a internal HDD or a mounted USB stick etc. also are you doing any thing else on the receiver while the backups are being created ? again provide as much info as you can so that we can start to look at where the problem may lie.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Debuglogs are essential to find a problem.
    And indeed making and restoring backup (both settings & image) are an integral part of our beta-testing; sofar we found no problems in this area. So if you do: logs please!

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    All I was making a backup on my SOLO yesterday evening before updating from 242 to 250 (vix 3.0) and the exact same thing happened.
    It was running in the background so I dont know at what stage it failed. I backup to HDD on my DUO (done that 100s of times). The box froze and when I powered it off the box didnt do anything.. I reflashed with 204 backup I had and applied updates to 250 and did new backup and it worked 100%.
    Thought I might have backed up to flash but the temp folders are there on the DUO where they should be.
    Will check later if there are any logs I can send...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi guys, thanks for the responses, I am using the following

Openvix 3.0.245 vusolo
    CCcam 2.3.0 (connection up)
    OpenVPN using PKI certs (tunnel up)
    CrossEPG with EPG stored on USB
    Sandisk fit 8GB (loads of space)

All config and settings work as expected, then I go into ImageManager and select new backup, it hangs around for an extended period at 40% then jumps to 70% and an error box appears on the screen, the error says something about device busy, when I press ok ImageManager says failed and stays at 70%. At this stage I can still see and hear the TV programme but cannot telnet/SSH to the box or change channel, after a reboot the box is hosed and needs a reflash.
    At first I thought it was a USB stick issue so I tried a new sandisk cruzer blade 8GB but exactly the same happened, any advice is welcome.

Thanks
    Sledge

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Actually Sledge I think mine was 245 as well.
    As I had a backup from 3.0 204 I flashed with that and did online update to 250.
    The imagemanager worked fine after that.
    Try a different version of 3.0 and do online updates (you need to turn off stable updates to in Online Updates Settings ) to 250.
    Should be OK after that. Or maybe do online updates to 250 with 245 to see if that solves it...

Hi guys, thanks for the responses, I am using the following

Openvix 3.0.245 vusolo
    CCcam 2.3.0 (connection up)
    OpenVPN using PKI certs (tunnel up)
    CrossEPG with EPG stored on USB
    Sandisk fit 8GB (loads of space)

All config and settings work as expected, then I go into ImageManager and select new backup, it hangs around for an extended period at 40% then jumps to 70% and an error box appears on the screen, the error says something about device busy, when I press ok ImageManager says failed and stays at 70%. At this stage I can still see and hear the TV programme but cannot telnet/SSH to the box or change channel, after a reboot the box is hosed and needs a reflash.
    At first I thought it was a USB stick issue so I tried a new sandisk cruzer blade 8GB but exactly the same happened, any advice is welcome.

Thanks
    Sledge

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I like the fact that it doesn't happen in 250 but I dont like the idea of 250 being an unstable release.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Maybe go back to 242 or earlier...
    250 has been going as good as 245 or 242 for me anyway on the SOLO...

I like the fact that it doesn't happen in 250 but I dont like the idea of 250 being an unstable release.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    dfdream, did you have the exact issue I was having.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I just did a full image backup on my ultimo build 255 ( i recently cleared out my backups but i also have backups from builds 204 and 249 ) directly to a 8GB sandisk cruzor blade memory stick and it all went fine, it is perfectly ok and expected to hold a while on 40%. also make sure that while your creating the backup your not doing any thing at all on the receiver, dont even touch the remote.

i'm just about to update this box to the latest build then i'll test a image backup on that one too.

as for the image being "unstable". just because its set as unstable does not necessarily mean some thing is wrong with it, we set images as unstable for many reasons, some as simple as we may not have tested a certain bug fix prior to release.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Only once...
    Flashed back with 204 backup and did online updates to 250 and backup ran fine.
    Dont know if its just a 245 issue.

D

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I just reflashed the box, stuck my config on, upgraded to 250 and the crash happened again, see error below (I typed by hand from the on screen error as the box is now hosed and needs a reflash, well, when I reboot it)

imagemanager
    error:[failure instance:traceback:<type
    'exceptions.OSerror'>[erno 16]device or resource busy:
    '/mediad/hdd/imagebackups/vusolo-mount/root/dev'
    /usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py:525:_bootstrap
    /usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py:552:_bootstrap_inner
    /usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py:505:run
    ---<exceptioncaught here>---
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-
    packages/twisted/python/threadpool.py:207:_worker
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-
    packages/twisted/python/context.py:118:callwithcontent
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-
    packages/twisted/python/context.py:81:callwithcontent
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/systemplugins/vix/imagemanager.py:1019:dobackup3
    /usr/lib/python2.7/shutil.py:244:rmtree
    /usr/lib/python2.7/shutil.py:244:rmtree
    /usr/lib/python2.7/shutil.py:253:rmtree
    /usr/lib/python2.7/shutil.py:251:rmtree
    ]

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Not sure what you mean by 'stuck my config on'?
    If there is a crash, there will be a crash log created in /home/root/logs/
    Upload that to save you typing what's displayed on screen.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    also try setting your USB as the default logs location so that if you have to reflash you dont loose any of those precious logs.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    By stuck my config on I mean Openvpn, bouquets, picons, satellites file, cron, CCcam etc, the imagemanager is so that I have a full backup of my system and to save me time provisioning another box of the same type. It takes me about 45 mins to configure it from scratch, I will have another go and change the log location as you say, after the imagemanager fails it wont allow any access and after a reboot it won't start. Does the above error shed any light on whats happening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast