I am looking for a simple editing package to remove ads and top and tail recordings. My preference is to do this on my Mac computers. I do run Windows under Parallels but would prefer to do it native. I also have a Fedora Linux machine so could consider options for this.

I have tried Avidemux2 - I find there is a sound sync problem with the current build 2.5.4.
I also have Toast11. This is has lots of output options and I am working through which to use. Any recomendations for which output image size to use would be helpful. This does take a long time to generate output.
Editing in iMovie is just too heavy for the task.
I have just tried "Video Editor for Mac", this does not work at all for these video images.

I use EyeTV Sat Free on the Mac as well. The editing facilities that are part of this are ideal ( apart from not being able to merge clips). So something similar for the .ts files from the receiver would be great.

I generally use VLC to view the stored videos on my computers, this works nicely. It would be important to make sure that whatever format is used that the files can also be viewed via my VU+Duo from my NAS server. I use NFS to mount the video library onto the VU+Duo.