Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Video Editing Software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Title
    Thanks

Question Video Editing Software

I am looking for a simple editing package to remove ads and top and tail recordings. My preference is to do this on my Mac computers. I do run Windows under Parallels but would prefer to do it native. I also have a Fedora Linux machine so could consider options for this.

I have tried Avidemux2 - I find there is a sound sync problem with the current build 2.5.4.
    I also have Toast11. This is has lots of output options and I am working through which to use. Any recomendations for which output image size to use would be helpful. This does take a long time to generate output.
    Editing in iMovie is just too heavy for the task.
    I have just tried "Video Editor for Mac", this does not work at all for these video images.

I use EyeTV Sat Free on the Mac as well. The editing facilities that are part of this are ideal ( apart from not being able to merge clips). So something similar for the .ts files from the receiver would be great.

I generally use VLC to view the stored videos on my computers, this works nicely. It would be important to make sure that whatever format is used that the files can also be viewed via my VU+Duo from my NAS server. I use NFS to mount the video library onto the VU+Duo.

Title
    Thanks

Smile Resolved - Video Editing Software

I see that quite a few have read this post, so possibly I am not the only one wanting to do this. Here is an update to help those interested.

I tried to build VLMC on my Mac, this failed but I was able to install it on my Linux box to see if it was worth pursuing. It does not load .ts files. It is Alpha-ware, so it might get there in the end especially as VLC does play them.

I have also tried Kino on Linux, this reads and converts (takes about an hour for 1 hour of video) the files but has a 3 second offset with sound sync. It also takes about the same time to export as it does to read. It appears that this is no longer supported although if anyone was interested it is open source!! It does have the facility to merge clips and it had a nice but slightly quirky interface, pity about the bug.

I also tried Lombard Video Editor on Linux, does not read the files.

So, I went back to Toast11. After the data collected from the above trials I have settled on SD 768 × 576 output in H.264 for standard recordings. I have not tried any HD recordings yet. The output takes about the same time as Kino but these can be batched and scheduled so you could always set it to output overnight. This seems to fit my needs for the moment and Toast also has the option (at extra cost) for BluRay disk writing.

Hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to psitech For This Useful Post:

tristen (06-10-14)