Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: AntiVirus protection for the VU+ Duo?

Title
    Thanks

AntiVirus protection for the VU+ Duo?

Hello all,
    Recently looking through the setup of my mobile phone, I found the option of "antivirus protection", whereby I could download this from my mobile phone provider. Strange thing is, I've never considered that a mobile phone could be infected with viruses but of course, as it's a kind of mini digital computer, the possibility must be there.
    With this in mind, my VU+ Duo is permanently connected to the internet and as far as I know, dos'nt have a resident anti-virus program - am I correct in thinking that the reciever is dangerously open to these virus attacks and if so, should't there be a downloadable anti-virus program for it ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    the Duo and all other E2 receivers run on a version of linux, linux being the most secure OS on the planet. dont get me wrong i'm not saying that linux os's can not be infected but it would be total overkill on a satellite receiver and just imagine the problems a piece of Antivirus software would cause for your daily viewing etc.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Point taken but we do live in a world where some people like to destroy systems just for the fun of it by introducing rouge software - not only pc's but also - god help us - nuclear power plants (thinking of that attack on the Iranian plant not so long ago). Anyhow, maybe the thought of a virus protection add - on for the Vu is'nt such a bad idea then? (I expect one of the big anti virus compaiies would have to be contracted to compile the anti virus programme which would significantly increase the cost per reciever?)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conaxthewarrior View Post
    my VU+ Duo is permanently connected to the internet and as far as I know, dos'nt have a resident anti-virus program - am I correct in thinking that the reciever is dangerously open to these virus attacks
    No it is not open to attacks. The receiver is behind a hardware firewall (your router). That means no one on the net can see your receiver unless you give it a static ip and open some ports.

Without the firewall in the router it would be easy to interfere with, as telnet, ftp, webif, etc. have root access and no (or known) passwords by default.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Conaxthewarrior (14-07-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    No it is not open to attacks. The receiver is behind a hardware firewall (your router). That means no one on the net can see your receiver unless you give it a static ip and open some ports.

Without the firewall in the router it would be easy to interfere with, as telnet, ftp, webif, etc. have root access and no (or known) passwords by default.
    I had my Vuduo open for experimenting, after that I could not have any updates (plugins) anymore, after a while I found that wget was renamed in -wget, so I could not connect with the server anymore.
    If you have a similar problem go to usr/bin/wget to see if it has still the name without the -
    If so rename -wget to wget and everything is alright.
    I don't know if there is still a virus in my VuDuo, so |I would like to know how to check that.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Have a look at this WGET-renamer:
    Code:
    http://vierko.org/tech/lightaidra-0x2012/

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

iceman214
    hi all im looking on my box to see if i have a virus as ive been pointed over here by a member and the file in question ( usr/bin/wget) isnt there can anyone help with this?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Best thing to do if you suspect that your receiver may be infected is to reflash it but you also need to purge the router too and any other attached devices. a full power down for say half a hour should be enough for the router but also change all passwords on the router and receiver as a precaution.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

iceman214
    ok is there any plugins i can get for security for my box?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    no but taking some simple measures as not port forwarding and enabling passwords for telnet / FTP on the receiver and changing the login details on the router should be enough.

SIMPLES.

iceman214
    cool im new to all this where cani find the option to password the ftp/telnet on my duo2

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Simply start a Telnet session the default login details are as follows.

USER = root
    Password = blank / ie nothing is set.

once logged in type passwd ( this exact spelling not password ), you will then be prompted to enter a password followed by enter ( you do this twice ). once completed your new password will be what you use to login to both FTP and Telnet.

SIMPLES.

iceman214
    thanks for the info i cant find where to login now im using dcc

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'm not familiar with DCC i use the inbuilt telnet client in windows 7.

How to enable the default Telnet client in Windows 7 - Click Here

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi

if you press your start button and type "cmd" without the quotes your get the dos box
    now type telnet and press return then type open 192.xxx.xxx.xxx your receiver ip address
    your will then note it will welcome to openvix and asked you to log in

if your telnet does not work you have to go into program features to enable telnet client do a google search to show you if your not sure