Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: most likely old news, but Sky are at it again

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts

most likely old news, but Sky are at it again

GAS meter readers are being asked to spy on pubs which may be illegally showing football matches, The Press can reveal.

Security company G4S has admitted asking its meter readers to work “out of uniform” while carrying out certain “non-utility data collection contracts”.

G4S staff have been sent into pubs in York and North Yorkshire to carry out undercover checks as part of a nationwide policy, according to one whistleblower.

The practice came to light after The Press was contacted by a member of G4S staff who said he and other meter readers felt uncomfortable carrying out the covert checks on behalf of TV company Sky.

The employee, who asked not to be named, said: “We are told to take off our uniforms off, leave our handhelds
    (meter readers) at home and not to make ourselves known to anyone in the pub.

“That’s not what I joined up for - it just does not feel right. If I could go in and say why I was there and
    give them a chance then it would feel better, but this is just not right.

“We have been told to sit and watch telly and the details.”

The worker, who has carried out the undercover checks a number of times, said he was also concerned for his
    safety should his cover be blown during one of the covert visits.
    The employee, who asked not to be named, said: “We are told to take off our uniforms off, leave our handhelds
    (meter readers) at home and not to make ourselves known to anyone in the pub.

“That’s not what I joined up for - it just does not feel right. If I could go in and say why I was there and
    give them a chance then it would feel better, but this is just not right.

“We have been told to sit and watch telly and the details.”

The worker, who has carried out the undercover checks a number of times, said he was also concerned for his
    safety should his cover be blown during one of the covert visits.

“We call them Sky spy jobs,” he said. “I know there’s a lot of people don’t like doing them.”

A G4S spokesman said: “We have a number of utility and non-utility data collection contracts and can confirm
    that some of our employees carrying out those services will do so without wearing G4S uniforms, although they
    will always carry identification which will be shown when asked.”

A Sky spokesman said: "Sky's committed to protecting the interests of its legitimate commercial customers.
    Sky therefore employs a number of companies, including G4S, to visit pubs across the UK to help identify pubs
    who use residential viewing cards in breach of their Sky contract. Those premises found to be accessing Sky
    unlawfully may be subject to legal action - much in the same way as they would if they didn't have a TV licence.
    "

Dave Woods, who ran the Cross keys pub on Tadcaster Road until January this year, said he was asked to pay
    £1,600 every month to show Sky in his pub.

“It’s way too expensive,” he said. “You have to sell a lot of beer to cover £1600 a month. I was surprised to
    hear a company like G4S would be involved in something like that but when you look at it I’m not surprised.
    They are trying to catch you out.”

HTML Code:
    http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9696731.Sky_pays_gasmen_to_spy_on_pubs/
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

2. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (27-06-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    'illegally showing football matches', £1,600 every month; wow, what a company!
    De facto that means that watching telly in a pub just isn't possible; is that what Sky really is after?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    The rate Sky charge for a pub is dependant on its rateable value it can be much more than £1600, they wanted £3400 per month from one landlord I know needless to say he told them to shove it and installed a 'continental' system.
    Maybe we should design a skin that constantly displays a pint pot icon
    Last edited by Maxwell; 27-06-12 at 06:55.
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion
    I am not responsible for what you do with it

Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Want clone support see Here

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

Rimmel (27-06-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Surely if you have an offical subscription card for a foreign channel then its not illegal is it. I know there the fact of boundaries but you have paid for a sub then you should be entitled to watch it.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    The issue is with Sky UK channels not the foreign ones - they lost that court case
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion
    I am not responsible for what you do with it

Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Want clone support see Here

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell4321 View Post
    Maybe we should design a skin that constantly displays a pint pot icon
    Now that's a good idea!
    Is definitely the most misspelled word on the internet?