Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Corning shows off slim flexible 'Willow Glass'

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

Corning shows off slim flexible 'Willow Glass'

Corning has revealed their "ultra-slim," flexible Willow Glass.
    The glass "could revolutionize the shape and form of next-generation consumer electronic technologies," says the company.

Reads the press release: "Corning Willow Glass will help enable thin, light and cost-efficient applications including today's slim displays and the smart surfaces of the future. The thinness, strength, and flexibility of the glass has the potential to enable displays to be "wrapped" around a device or structure."

Notably, the Willow Glass is processed at temps up to 500 degrees Celsius, a condition not possible with older polymer films. The glass can support thinner backplanes for OLED and LCD devices. The company hopes to use the glass in the future to develop curved displays for "immersive viewing or mounting on non-flat surfaces."

Concludes Dr. Dipak Chowdhury, division vice president and Willow Glass program director: "Displays become more pervasive each day and manufacturers strive to make both portable devices and larger displays thinner. Corning Willow Glass provides the substrate performance to maintain device quality in a thin and light form factor. Currently manufacturing in a sheet-to-sheet process, we expect Corning Willow Glass to eventually allow customers to switch to high throughput, efficient roll-to-roll processing, a long-awaited industry milestone."

Code:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/06/05/corning_shows_off_slim_flexible_willow_glass
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (07-06-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Wow i thought gorilla glass 2 was the top teir! Amazing!