Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: dark motor and a 1.2 dish

Title
    Thanks

dark motor and a 1.2 dish

for the last 15 years plus iv'e had a 1.2 chn master
    with a 36v 18" superjack motor , the superjack swivel joint seized and the motor kept going twisting the arm on the polar mount in to a knot and snapping it, there ar no parts now for this polar mount plus there's lots of free play in the mount. so iv'e decided to go for a diseqc set up and want to keep to the same size of dish if i can. the question i have is this
    will the supreme dark motor drive a 1.2 dish from a vu duo.

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    it would drive a 1.2 dish, ( but not the channel master, or at least not for long ) is the required setup going to be ground mounted, or wall mounted? the reason for the question, is weather related, ie, if its prone to strong winds etc, you might need to concider anther 36v motor with the Channel Master
    but a light weight 1.2 dish will be ok, but likely to develop "wobble" in a short time, if the above conditions exist
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

3. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

rumpole (24-05-12)

Title
    Thanks
    i have searched every where for anouther polar mount i have only found one a raven mount that fits on the chn master dish it is different to my polar mount and fits at 90% to the dish and this wont fit on my wall mount the house wall is to near so it wont fit, hence the need to change as for the dish i was'nt going to use the chn master dish
    but get a new dish and motor, the dish is on the side of the house about 15ft up and below the gutters and the next house is about 20 feet away so i dont get much strong wind, and if wind blows strong between the houses if i leave the dish on 1w it's side on as the side of the house faces dead south, but at least it's good to know it will work.

Title
    Thanks
    I have a Channel master 1.2 with a 36v motor, ( HtoH ) with a V box, the motor cast me around £200, and is still available on the open market, its more expensive than the polar mount, the Dark motor will do the job, but it might be best to concider a seperate power supply, also its life span will most likely be limited, but pro rata, cheaper, ie, 4 Dark motors ( at worst ) and you would still be in pocket, but have a word with the Forum sponcer, they are very helpfull,

Title
    Thanks
    i think i need more research on the dark motor and the max dish size it can work with, i'm finding conflicting reports i have spoken to two other people who say they run a dark motor on a 1.1 triax dish and one lives on the south coast and he say's it's been set up for a couple of years and never gives a problem and the other person says his is very good with this dish size but both say the triax 1.1 has a slide on the rear to set the elivation
    and say go for a dish with a mount that has tilt type action with the scale and a single bolt to lock it off as it better to get the elivation set.
    i have also been told the spec in the booklet with the dark motor says [antenna size 100cm max]. also i have read while researching using it with a 1.2 dish that it can drive dish's up to 1.4 mtrs
    so it looks like more research to find out exactly which way to go and get the best dish size for the motor.

Title
    Thanks
    the channel master is a very solid/heavy dish, not a light wieght dish, hence my previous post

and wall mounted as in your case, I think it could be a bit risky,

Title
    Thanks
    your right mate it took it down and had to remove
    the dish from the mount and it down first then the
    mount came down, but i have left the 3" L shaped post to fit the new set up on it, i never had any intention of using the chn master dish i think without modification i guess it would impossible the chn master dish got the elevation by adjusting the polar mount, i had see a 1.2 dish with the same type of lnb arms and holder as used by chn master but made a lot lighter in powder coated metal. but as i said i need more research i dont want to put it up and then find it wont work correctly

Title
    Thanks
    The aluminium gibertini 1.2 is a great dish in my opinion i used a motec motor for almost four years with it till it finally gave up the ghost i now have a technomate 2600 which has good reviews.

Title
    Thanks
    thanks for all the help and info, i have now
    got a new 1.2 dish, free from a mate that has never
    been used. so i will get a dark motor and go this way
    i have no idea what make the dish is but it's not as big
    as the chn master dish but it measures 47" x 44" and it's oval
    plus it's a lot lighter than the fibre chn master dish.from what
    others have said about running a 1.1 dish on the dark motor
    i dont think a couple of inches all round will give a problem,

Title
    Thanks
    Its a 1mtr Dish ...so should be ideal