Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Multiple receivers, motorised dish

Title
    Thanks

Multiple receivers, motorised dish

Hello everyone,

I've got a 9-input Triax multiswitch to which I have connected my fixed Sky dish and terrestial TV aerial. I am getting SKy and Freeview on all outputs, but I now want to connect another dish to the second input. This dish will be motorised.

I understand that I cannot control the rotator from every receiver, but have been advised that I can connect one of the outputs from the multiswitch (probably the one for my primary receiver) to the rotator's input, and connect the rotator's output to my receiver. This should allow me to control move the dish from my main receiver.

I have three questions:

a) How would this affect the other receivers? For example, if I moved the motorised dish from the Italian TV satellite to the German TV satellite, would the other receivers in the house automatically find the German channels, or would they still be searching for the Italian channels?

b) I was wondering if anybody knows of a plugin or piece of software that would run on Linux-based receivers that would allow you control the rotator connected to another receiver. For example, if all my receivers are connected to my home network via ethernet/wi-fi, I would put in the IP address of my main receiver and be able to control the rotator. I have searched but can't find any such software.

c) Does anybody know of a positioner (V Box or whatever) that connects to your home network and can be controlled via a web browser?

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    I have three questions:

a) How would this affect the other receivers? For example, if I moved the motorised dish from the Italian TV satellite to the German TV satellite, would the other receivers in the house automatically find the German channels, or would they still be searching for the Italian channels?
    they will be able via the sat listings, be able to view the sat you ate on, but would remain on the channel they happen to be on, so no piccy

b) I was wondering if anybody knows of a plugin or piece of software that would run on Linux-based receivers that would allow you control the rotator connected to another receiver. For example, if all my receivers are connected to my home network via ethernet/wi-fi, I would put in the IP address of my main receiver and be able to control the rotator. I have searched but can't find any such software.
    web interface would sort this out, best to use firefox ( web browser ) in the address bar, type in the units addy ie, 192.168.1.65:80 ( this can be used for all your units, but on the others, port 80 would need to be port 85,for no 2 unit 90 for nim 3 unit and so on

c) Does anybody know of a positioner (V Box or whatever) that connects to your home network and can be controlled via a web browser?
    as per "B"
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply basilyoung!

As for a) - I guessed as much. Obviously if any of the receivers were watching a channel on the motorised dish they would lose the picture when the dish is moved. So going by what you're saying, I guess they'd be able to change to a channel on the new satellite or via the fixed dish by simply accessing the listings and selecting a channel.

For b) - I still have not bought any Linux receivers as the building work in the house is still not complete, so I have no idea about them! So does the Enigma2 WebInterface have an option to actually control the positioner, or will I need some sort of hack?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    via the web interface, on the motorized unit, you simply select a channel on what ever sat, and the dish will go to that sat, as the unit would have the settings to move the dish, ( v-box or usal,s ) further more if its a twin reciever unit
    you could watch tv from the fixed dish, on the unit/tv...and stream what ever channel you like to your comp/i-pad or phone

the other units, can be controlled in the same way, but on another port setting, ie, 85, with multy windows open,..you could in fact watch all sat units via streaming, change cams or send on screen messages, if you allow port forwardinf to WAN..you cand also do all of the above away from home
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    I would suggest the following:
    connect one receiver (your main-receiver) to the motor, as you suggested. And indeed: from now on that receiver will control both the motor and the LNB.
    Provided you use the ViX-image, other receivers can use the main receiver as virtual tuner. There is a plugin that can convert bouquets from the main receiver to be viewed on other receivers. Once done that you can zap to any channel on any box, using the main box as tuner.
    Of course there are limitations: the main box will regard requests from other boxes as a request to record; any recording will have to fit into the existing use of the main box (life-TV and planned recordings). So best use for the mainbox a box with as many tuners as possible (e.g. an Ultimo filled with 3 x DVB-S2 + USB DVB-T).

BTW: All boxes can also watch any recordings the mainbox has available.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.