Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: box is freezing constantly/won't start from standby

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    did you by chance restore your plugins and settings from 2.3 as almost every single case to date of some one suffering this kind of problem on 2.4 has resulted from users restoring backups from 2.3 and even one case of a guy restoring from 2.2.
    Nope, fresh flash and everything manually setup from scratch

Title
    Thanks
    Same problem here (Purple screens, unresponsive in morning), went to 2.4 and things are worse. Hard reset needed every morning. I too did a fresh flash. I also was a bit suspect of the HDMI CEC so I disabled it but this was the case on 2.3 as well. The only thing I have done different is switch the epg from internal flash to usb stick. I have read somewhere that it could be a generic usb stick at fault when the epg is on auto update (which mine is 04:00). The next logical step would be to stop the auto update and do it myself (which works fine) and/or change the usb stick. For tonight I've opted to do a reboot at 05:00 with power manager.

Could deep standby be at fault? Or does that only happen if you enable it in power manager as I have left it at "no" but only enabled reboot.

I'm more than prepared do do some stringent testing if anybody with similar problems was to start from scratch and maintain a constant regarding our setups.
    I want to make this box work as when it works its an awesome piece of kit! I've gleamed so much from these forums and the excellent community I've never really needed to ask for help! Just hope in my hour of need if I can help by testing with a few others I can repay the debt.

Crikey, I should post less stuff more often. I'm rambling on a bit....!

Title
    Thanks
    I take it you have a Vu+ Duo m8, dont you have a hard drive fitted ?, if so save epg to there to see if it's any better, also what epg are you using ? try open TV instead of rytec one.
    HTH

Title
    Thanks
    Yep Vu duo. I have got a 1TB drive installed as well as a mounted 2TB NAS. I could be wrong but I could have sworn I read somewhere that epg was better on usb than HDD? Picons as well. Something to do with spinning up the HDD unnecessarily.

PS Im pretty sure Im on open TV.
    Last edited by mav2020; 14-06-12 at 00:33.

Title
    Thanks
    Yes I read that all the time, never used a usb for picons or epg in my Duo or Ultimo, ok the zap time is slightly slower :-(, but so what, anyway worth a shot, you can always change it back.

Title
    Thanks
    Fair point. Will give it a go, along with changing the usb stick to be thorough!

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    EPG will be fine on a internal HDD as it's stored in live memory and only read from or written to at bootup and shutdown. I would not however store the EPG on the internal flash as the EPG can easily become corrupted and eat up all the space on the flash to the point where you have to do a full flash as the box will become non responsive or go into a bootloop. picons on the other hand are fine on the flash but i personally always store EPG and picons on a USB stick along with my daily backups, crash logs and debug logs.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

mav2020 (14-06-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Indeed, so once again (although the forum has now been filled with this very same advise over and over): EPG to HDD will never let a HDD spin up (for the reasons Pheonix explained again above).
    Picons on the other hand do: they should never go to a HDD (it even slows down zapping considerably). Picons are fine in flash (my favourite) or USB, but not on HDD.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

mav2020 (14-06-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the clarity Pheonix. In fairness I've seen alot of info/contradiction for the epg on usb/HDD debate but I appreciate the responses Rob considering it has been discussed alot on the forums. Still I'd like to return to what I mentioned about the morning crashes (same as op). This morning my box was responsive for the first time since 2.4 and all I did was enable power manager and force a reboot. Coincidence?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12