Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your SNR & AGC on your VU+DUO, what do you get ?

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxylady View Post
    This is showing quality i.e. snr which is why i took it to prove how good the lnb's are.
    If your on a communial dish, that's your issue for sure, as how many people are on that one dish lol.
    Here's me thinking you got your own bud

This is my setup, as you can see the motorised is not plum, but i got a got signal as best i know how without any meter's etc.
    The standard dish is one from ebay approx £20 and standard lnb comes with it, on that i get 90% on nearly all channels, fta i get above 95%
    As you can see not one bit of rust appearing on motorised due to spraying laquer on, this was put up approx 17 month ago.

You were not joking when you said it was not plumb
    Vu Duo 4K - Vu + Solo4K - Vu + Uno4K - Vu+Uno - Vu+Ultimo4K - Vu+ Zero - Vu+Solo-SE (In Black Evo ) - PrismCube

Title
    Thanks
    I know i wasn't lmao.
    I got good signals and get all the sats without issue, not bad for a non expert lol.
    But i made sure it is bolted tight as no point in paying out more money to have someone get it straight as it is working for good few months now perfectly.
    Did pretty spot on with the uk dish thou, give me some credit

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxylady For This Useful Post:

Donnie (02-03-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    well here we go with this thread again, please read the whole thing if you havent read it before so that you know whats been going on, thanks.

I have tried everything now !

Tried both feeds one at a time in each tuner ( A & B) and exact same result tonight (i have twin feeds from the LNB), poor snr levels on the pay channels, few channels earlier were even breaking up etc like I have said before.

Strange thing is though as I have mentioned before too is that past couple of days the snr levels were actually pretty good or at least as good as they used to be like 70%-75% etc, sometimes more, again I am talking about the pay channels.

The FTA channels are litrally off the scale, they have excellent strength and quality on both the vu duo and on my freesat receiver too and thats on either feed as I have twin feeds from the LNB.

I am really struggling now for an answer to this and if we get another tech out to work on the dish, LNB and/or cabling then if there is no fault found we will be charged.

Its like lets say the guy comes out and its all working good like it was for past couple of days then hes going to stick a meter on the feeds etc and say "no problem here" and that will be that, we would have to hope that its a bad day when the guy comes out and then maybe he might detect something somewhere, I dont know.

Maybe we could try telling the guy whats been happening if everything happens to be ok when he comes out, we could say just exactly what I have been saying in this thread all along, but question is, will he go for that ?? are these contractors that are sent out more liable to want to do extra work to get more money or are they likely to just check at the feeds in the house (if its a good day) and say nothing wrong here and therefore we get charged for the callout and he goes away without doing nothing ?

I would be happy if the guy said ok I will replace everything, cabling, the dish, the pole, the LNB, the electrical box in the attick, everything, as it wouldnt then be coming out my pocket because he would be saying there was some sort of fault, I just dont know how much these guys will bend the rules if you ask them too, I guess thats what I am trying to say, lol.

But, still, to me it all seems so very strange why this is just happening on the pay channels and not at all on the FTA channels on the duo, or the channels on the freesat receiver, now, I'm not a sat dish installer guy etc, but to me that statment alone says theres nothing the matter with the dish, LNB or cabling, but who am I, lol, nobody.

I guess we could tell him its happening intermittantly as that is infact the truth, and then see what he does from there, eh ?

What should he do in that circumstance then ? because if you tell me what to say then I will tell him to do it and then hope for the best, cause theres one thing for sure, something aint right, but what that is I only wished I knew

p.s
    I even put in the latest xml sat freq file too and that didnt make one bit of a difference at all either, got a few extra channels yes but the snr that I am on about stayed the same poor level.
    Last edited by BRAVEHEART; 04-03-12 at 04:19.
    VU+DUO (Genuine box - not a clone)
    FIXED 28.2e DISH
    System OE:OE-Alliance 3.4
    Firmware version:OpenViX 4.2.021 (2016-12-06)
    Kernel / Drivers:3.9.6 / 20151124

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    I even put in the latest xml sat freq file too and that didnt make one bit of a difference at all either, got a few extra channels yes but the snr that I am on about stayed the same poor level.
    1- As the satellites.xml is only used when scanning, this means you've done a scan. I didn't notice you mentioning that.
    2- How could you expect this to have any influence on signal quality?

Don't forget: on tuning to a station only the lamedb is being used.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    1- As the satellites.xml is only used when scanning, this means you've done a scan. I didn't notice you mentioning that.
    2- How could you expect this to have any influence on signal quality?

Don't forget: on tuning to a station only the lamedb is being used.
    Thanks for the reply.

1. after installing the latest sat xml yes I did do a scan, purpose of even doing this is that I am running out of options and only trying things that other people have mentioned and ive been in sheer hope that something/anything helps, I am only a novice so therefore can only try different things in the hope that something works, thats all, I hope that answers question 1 & 2 for you a bit clearer.

3. I wasnt too sure what you meant with "lamedb" so I googled it, I think but still am not too sure if this is what your getting at, after installing the sat xml file I then done a scan etc, I then compared the snr levels from the channels in my bouqets with channels in my "ALL" channel list and could see there was no difference what so ever to the snr levels, there is always just 2 channels I need to check although when the snr gets poor it effects all pay channel snr levels as i have mentioned multiple times, but for quickness I just check sky movies drama HD and sky sports 3 HD and then if they are bad then I know the rest will be too, saves a lot of channel hopping. (hope that kind of answers your question about the lamedb thing as I am not too sure).

But anyway, here we go again, just now today at this precise time, the weather is a little breezy (not very breezy, just a bit), bit cloudy with sunny intervals and rain showers now and then, Ideal weather really as in that its not bad weather, but guess what, those snr levels on all the pay channels are all back up to nice and good snr now, yet approx when I left my last message the snr levels were all garbage, and the weather is just the same really apart from it now being daytime obviously, lol, weird situation, eh ??

Anyhow, to get back to my last post, I think I will do what I was talking about and just call out the sat installer guy again like I said as I am getting sick of going on about this, could someone please read my last post and then tell me exactly what to say to the sat installer company guy please ?

I will basically just say to him that I have a family member that suggested a few things that either are needing checked, fixed or replaced or whatever you guys tell me exactly what to say to the guy, and my covering story is quite obvious, my family member I shall say works for sky but says he cannot touch the dish or cabling etc as its a communal dish and also on a neighbouring building too and he cannot touch it as hes simply not allowed to, but I will make out that after explaining everything to my family member, he came round on a day when the snr levels were bad and attached some sorts of meters or something like that to the sat feed at the tv (I will play dumb and read from a note, lol), and then say my family member said that it either has to be >

1. xxxxxx
    2. xxxxxx
    3. xxxxxx
    or
    4. xxxxxx
    or all of the above
    ( xxxxx = possible problems obviously, lol)

now all I need is for you guys to tell me exactly what to say now please and then I can make the call tommorow or whenever, can you do this for me ?

Appreciate it, thanks.
    Last edited by BRAVEHEART; 04-03-12 at 16:56.
    FIXED 28.2e DISH

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Just to explain: the satellites.xml is the complete satellite and transponder database of the box. When doing a scan, the data in there is used: the box tunes to the transponders, listens for services and if received saves them.
    When tuning to a service (as you normally do when zapping) the data of the lamedb (in etc/enigma2) is used. Only the satellite position from the satellites.xml is also used then.

In other words: even if no transponders at all are in the satellites.xml, zapping goes on as usual. You won't even notice it. Hence there's also no influence on the signal quality when changing the data in the file.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (04-03-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Brave,
    We'll discuss on live fella and go through all the motions to resolve the issue bud.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxylady For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (04-03-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Just a thought with you mentioning the weather being a bit cloudy/rainy, it is possible that you need an attenuator fitting, you could possibly have too much signal which is just as bad and has the same symptoms as not enough.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (04-03-12)

Title
    Thanks
    With it being communial it is no the same as single household as lots of cables/signals are being split are running off one dish, you need to find out what they are using to save the signal being dropped and to be devided evenly as the cabling will be massive and as it goes longer the weak the signal
    Tell them to check your cabling going to your property as if no one else is complaining about it, tell them to re-wire yours or even get off there backside and fix the fault they were originally paid for as never ever have i with any type of box inc any vu's have suffered snr issues UNLESS the dish was out of alignment due to winds, break in cable or water getting into the lnb etc.
    You can never ever rule a faulty box never, no matter how good they are, like with anything.
    From speaking to you, your box is setup right, man even my 12 year old could do it so i am not disputing even thou your not an expert like i am not, you know what your doing like i do as regards images etc.
    Tell the sat people you've spoken to friends and others on the net that know there stuff and you want the fault finding as it is clearly points toward your dish, cabling etc as mentioned before fella.
    But obviously they are iusing some type of booster and this could be the issue, as your feed has to go through some kind of power booster in order to boost signals to all properties when on one dish
    If no joy slap your own up mate, be selfish and have a dish for yourself, least you know it fresh cabling, new dish and lnb and no issues.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxylady For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (04-03-12)

Title
    Thanks
    i would really consider getting that pole plum other wise your lnb is not set straight it will be picking more satelittes from one side and less from the other and i would defo get a INVERTO Black Ultra High lnb , i put one on mine this weekend and gained 10% extra on all sats. the best way i found to see if my dish is set right is to level out the signal between 28east and 30west, if you get them two right everything else should flow.

digi247
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Here is a screenshot from my Duo, I have watched this channel for over 15 mins with no break up.
    Really this does prove what I am saying.
    A properly configured emu is the key to viewing your card or other channels

Attachment 15351
    Donnie i have no idea where your located but if your in the UK and using a Mini dish for 28.2° east and only getting 39% snr you have a serious problem you should be gettting on the Duo's SNR level around the 80% mark

Quote Originally Posted by wazza_2 View Post
    i would really consider getting that pole plum other wise your lnb is not set straight it will be picking more satelittes from one side and less from the other and i would defo get a INVERTO Black Ultra High lnb , i put one on mine this weekend and gained 10% extra on all sats. the best way i found to see if my dish is set right is to level out the signal between 28east and 30west, if you get them two right everything else should flow.

Wazza if you look closely at the Pics its an Orbital dish with an Inverto Black Ultra, Just a bit worrying about the pole Not being Plumb and also the Spacing of the T&K's are a little on the short side, Ideally they should be at least a meter apart and with the motor in between the T&K and not above it helps balance the wind load and minimise vibration. But each to there own.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,276 Posts
    Braveheart, if you are getting more than 30% SNR on Sky channels that is plenty for the tuner as these are 2/3 FEC. What you need to know is if the problem only affects pay channels.

When you are having trouble with a channel press the up arrow, then green (satellites), then select current transponder and flick through all the channels on that trying to find one that is not encrypted. This will tell you if the glitching is to do with local interference or a problem with the way your softcam is set up to read your subscription card.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Braveheart, if you are getting more than 30% SNR on Sky channels that is plenty for the tuner as these are 2/3 FEC. What you need to know is if the problem only affects pay channels.

When you are having trouble with a channel press the up arrow, then green (satellites), then select current transponder and flick through all the channels on that trying to find one that is not encrypted. This will tell you if the glitching is to do with local interference or a problem with the way your softcam is set up to read your subscription card.
    Mate, I appreciate your input, but if you read the thread correctly I have said repeatedly that it is only pay channels and not FTA mate

This just started to happen a week ago and then someone in here suggested I update to the latest vix image which I have done few days ago and it didnt make any difference either, and also have the enigma2-plugin-cams-cccam.2.1.4_1.1-r2 installed, and latest sat xml file etc etc etc, pretty sure its all set up correctly, well put it this way, it was ok on the old image up until a week ago and then the problems started and since then I have updated everything and that hasnt helped either, so I'm still at a lose as to what the heck is causing this prob, its a strange one

p.s
    I dont know how the heck you can say you can watch pay channels with an snr of 30% on a vuo duo, no chance mate, please show me/us the proof as I cant beleive that until I see it, soon as mines goes anywhere near 55% or less the picture will freeze up or the channel just wont appear, maybe you have some kind of magic fix for this, if so can you please tell me more as that would sort me right out mate, cheers
    Last edited by BRAVEHEART; 04-03-12 at 21:47.
    FIXED 28.2e DISH

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
    Mate, I appreciate your input, but if you read the thread correctly I have said repeatedly that it is only pay channels and not FTA mate

This just started to happen a week ago and then someone in here suggested I update to the latest vix image which I have done few days ago and it didnt make any difference either, and also have the enigma2-plugin-cams-cccam.2.1.4_1.1-r2 installed, and latest sat xml file etc etc etc, pretty sure its all set up correctly, well put it this way, it was ok on the old image up until a week ago and then the problems started and since then I have updated everything and that hasnt helped either, so I'm still at a lose as to what the heck is causing this prob, its a strange one

p.s
    I dont know how the heck you can say you can watch pay channels with an snr of 30% on a vuo duo, no chance mate, please show me/us the proof as I cant beleive that until I see it, soon as mines goes anywhere near 55% or less the picture will freeze up or the channel just wont appear, maybe you have some kind of magic fix for this, if so can you please tell me more as that would sort me right out mate, cheers
    isnt there a simple snr booster or summit I can buy that will sort this (cost doesnt matter), getting super pizzed off with it now man even though snr signals are good tonight, gauranteed they will be rubbish again later on or tomorrow or whatever, Ive never heard of such a booster and therfore dont think there is such a thing, I am sure someone will put me wise to the answer though please ?
    FIXED 28.2e DISH

Title
    Thanks
    Wazza,
    I still get same sats i did when it was plum.
    Like i say fella i don't see the need or importance to shell out more money on it if it is doing the job, which it is very well.

Brave,
    Boosters do exist for the sat setup
    Last edited by Foxylady; 04-03-12 at 22:41.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast