Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your SNR & AGC on your VU+DUO, what do you get ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Cool Your SNR & AGC on your VU+DUO, what do you get ?

ok, on my VU+DUO over the weekend I had terrible problems with all my pay channels signal quality and strength (snr & agc), but especially the snr level, BUT, for some weird reason tonight everything is looking a heck of a lot better and I am totally lost for an answer to why or what happened, maybe someone else will know though if you care to comment please ? (p.s, there has been no windy weather, not even a breeze for days, so as I say, it defo has nothing to do with the dish, and the dish was only reset after the storms about a month ago too, done by a proffesional, also fitted brand new LNB too).

All my FTA channels were perfect and strong, but the pay channels were either not even strong enough to give any picture at all or if there was a picture it would freeze up every few seconds or a minute or so, but as I say, the FTA channels were all perfect and strong, even my seperate freesat tuner was perfect too, so it was defo nothing to do with the dish for a fact.

Anyway, as an example right now (tuesday morning 28th feb 2012) on the VU+DUO box I have choosen some channels at random and will tell you the snr (quality) and agc (strength) levels for each one and I would really really appreciate it if some other people in the uk with a perfectly fixed dish and a VU+DUO could also tell me thier snr & agc levels for these channels just as refrence please.

BBC one HD - SNR 93% - AGC 93%
    ITV 1 HD - SNR 93% - AGC 93%
    CHANNEL 4 HD - SNR 96% - AGC 93%
    SKY SPORTS 1 HD - SNR 74% - AGC 95%
    SKY MOVIES PREMIER HD - SNR 73% - AGC 86%
    SKY MOVIES DRAMA HD - SNR 72% - AGC 86%

Would I be correct in saying those readings now are very very good or are they average ???

Thats why I would really appreciate if anyone in the uk with a VU+DUO could also tell me thier readings for those channels please, eh ??? Thank you so much if you can spare a few seconds to do this

Those readings of mines you can see that I have just given you were nothing like that at the weekend past, as I said, the pay channels most of the time were so bad that a picture wouldnt even appear on the screen, but the FTA channels didnt really have any problems at all, although even the FTA channels look a bit stronger and better quality signals now too.

I am clueless to what happened , and then all of a sudden everything is looking a heck of a lot better, hmmmm ?

Anyone with any comments then please post up, and even better still could some people give me thier readings for those channels just for reference purposes.

Thanks again.

p.s
    at the weekend when there was a lot of problems the SNR on just about all pay channels was only reaching about 54%-60% and the AGC levels were lower than what they are now too, and as I said, picture freeze or no pictures at all.
    Last edited by BRAVEHEART; 28-02-12 at 02:13.
    VU+DUO (Genuine box - not a clone)
    FIXED 28.2e DISH
    System OE:OE-Alliance 3.4
    Firmware version:OpenViX 4.2.021 (2016-12-06)
    Kernel / Drivers:3.9.6 / 20151124

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    As has been said in another thread: STB's are no (calibrated) meters. You can't compare the figures of one box with those of another.
    They are only meant to be able to allign your dish; for that it does a good job.
    And about the AGC: you shouldn't even be looking at those values, it's SNR that counts.

So: get your own SNR as high as possible on all satellites and you're fine. And never try to compare with others/other boxes, there's really no point in that.

BTW: Why are you using such an old image?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (28-02-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    As has been said in another thread: STB's are no (calibrated) meters. You can't compare the figures of one box with those of another.
    They are only meant to be able to allign your dish; for that it does a good job.
    And about the AGC: you shouldn't even be looking at those values, it's SNR that counts.

So: get your own SNR as high as possible on all satellites and you're fine. And never try to compare with others/other boxes, there's really no point in that.

BTW: Why are you using such an old image?
    Only was wanting a rough guide mate to what other peoples readings are after the problems that I explained I had at the weekend, that was all, no big deal in just asking is there ??

And I do understand what you mean too mate

As far as the image goes, I was just always under the impression that if its not broke then dont try and fix it, and its always been fine before, but your right, maybe its time to update to the latest version of VIX , dont quite know if it would have been that that was causing the weekend problems though, but I guess it still a good idea to update, thanks.
    FIXED 28.2e DISH

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    1) regarding the issues you mentioned on pay-channels: as FTA channels were apparently not affected, a local dish issue seems to be unlikely. But even so: comparing with others seems rather pointless;
    2) for sure an old image is not causing the effect you described. But using such an old version means that you don't benefit from all the improvements that have been made available. Up to you of course.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (28-02-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Cool

1) regarding the issues you mentioned on pay-channels: as FTA channels were apparently not affected, a local dish issue seems to be unlikely. But even so: comparing with others seems rather pointless;
    2) for sure an old image is not causing the effect you described. But using such an old version means that you don't benefit from all the improvements that have been made available. Up to you of course.
    cheers, going to flash the latest image now, could you confirm if these are the two files I need, flash the small size one first and then the larger sized one, yes ??? (see the files mentioned).

this small one "duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip (117.8 KB)"

and then this larger one "ViX-2.3.204-vuduo_usb.zip (48.77 MB)"

Thank you.
    FIXED 28.2e DISH

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Yes, correct. And if you make a settings backup first, all your settings can be re-installed during the first install wizard (plugins will have to be installed by yourself at a later stage).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (28-02-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes, correct. And if you make a settings backup first, all your settings can be re-installed during the first install wizard (plugins will have to be installed by yourself at a later stage).
    ok think that worked well enough for now, reinstalled my backup settings tooo and everything looks like it was before with my boquets etc, happy days, just need to get my channels working now, lol.

Anyway, just to make sure, where is it in the menu again i look to see what is the version of vix that is installed, i am 99% sure it is installed but just cant find the option that shows me, can someone tell me please ??
    FIXED 28.2e DISH

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Menu --> Information --> About

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (28-02-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
    ok think that worked well enough for now, reinstalled my backup settings tooo and everything looks like it was before with my boquets etc, happy days, just need to get my channels working now, lol.

Anyway, just to make sure, where is it in the menu again i look to see what is the version of vix that is installed, i am 99% sure it is installed but just cant find the option that shows me, can someone tell me please ??
    found it, its cool, took some time to find that option though but eventually i did, got version 2.3 build 204 installed , great stuff, now just to work out how to do the rest and get everything working, at least my backup settings worked good, all boquets and channels as they were before, now just to get it fully working
    FIXED 28.2e DISH

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,276 Posts
    Braveheart, all the public service channels (BBC1/2/3/4, ITV1/2/3/4, C4, More4, E4, C5, Fiver, 5*, etc) are on the new satellite (Astra 1N). That satellite is miles stronger in the UK than anything else at 28E. Pay TV channels on the other hand are mainly on Astra 2A, 2B, and EB1. So if you are getting the PSBs but not the pay channels there is probably something wrong with your install, maybe an alignment problem.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

BRAVEHEART (29-02-12),Donnie (28-02-12)

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    The reason for the improvement is a whole load of BBC channels moved to Astra 1N last Friday, ITV was a few days before so anything you get on 1N will be much stronger.

oops did not finish reading all the replies namely the one above mine
    Vu Duo 4K - Vu + Solo4K - Vu + Uno4K - Vu+Uno - Vu+Ultimo4K - Vu+ Zero - Vu+Solo-SE (In Black Evo ) - PrismCube

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yes but I see the point of the free channels being stronger for the reasons mentioned, but for the pay channels to be so poor of quality signal (or whatever it is) then that part I cant understand, I mean so poor of quality that the picture freezes up or simply doesnt even give a picture at all, I have said all this earlier in the thread anyways if you read back all the details are there.

Getting sick of this now, the Vu duo is getting closer n closer to the bin, lol (and I aint joking), as the same problem from the weekend has started to happen again tonight, all FTA channels strong as can be and pay channels very very poor, somethings not right and its not down to me, all my stuff is fine, my dish is obviously fine as all the FTA channels on the vu duo and on my freesat receiver are fine and strong and good quality, but soon as I go near the pay channels its very different, last night for some reason out of the blue the pay channels signal strength and quality increased dramatically, and then now tonight as we speak they have went bad again like they were last weekend there.

I dont know whats going on
    FIXED 28.2e DISH

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    It sounds like you have a problem with your installation even though you get the FTA channels ok - the encrypted channels signal also carries the encryption information, if the signal is not as good as it should be the encryption data will be corrupted and can give the symptoms you describe.
    I would start by checking the cable and F connectors paying particular attention to possible water ingress at the dish end once you are sure this is ok I would be looking at dish alignment and LNB skew and if all is good look to replace the LNB, a noisy LNB especially if it has too much Phase noise will destroy encryption data and the receiver will not be able to acheive phase lock.
    You cannot rely on a sat receiver signal strength meter you need a proper dedicated one to be accurate.
    A sat receiver will display a combined amount of both signal and noise, because this reading is taken from the Tuner before filtering this means that it could show a signal strength of say 95% but 25% of that could be noise so your actual signal would be 70% so for instance you could fit a new LNB but the receiver signal strength actually goes down (less noise) but your channels a received just fine because of the cleaner signal.
    You say you had a day where the encrypted channels came up good and then reverted back to being crap - this is an indicator that something is wrong with the dish end of things as its possible that the weather conditions were just right or wind nudging the dish
    Last edited by Maxwell; 29-02-12 at 09:42.

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    I assume the pay channels you view you have the card for ?

With the SNR you list I can not see the signal being the problem, I can watch with a SNR of 50% with no issues.
    Vu Duo 4K - Vu + Solo4K - Vu + Uno4K - Vu+Uno - Vu+Ultimo4K - Vu+ Zero - Vu+Solo-SE (In Black Evo ) - PrismCube

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnie For This Useful Post:

Maxwell (29-02-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I assume the pay channels you view you have the card for ?

With the SNR you list I can not see the signal being the problem, I can watch with a SNR of 50% with no issues.
    Good point Donnie I was assuming a local card

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast