Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Day One with VU+ Duo.. Questions!

Title
    Thanks

Day One with VU+ Duo.. Questions!

Hi Folks,

I have my VU+ Duo since last night. Got it connected to the net etc but have a few questions. On latest Vix image

1) What are picons? I am assuming they are like channel logos for the epg?
    2) How do i install/see picons?
    3) Can i change the default epg? Some of the channel names are two long for the first column so cant see full name. I have the crossepg plugin - have downloaded data etc - is that just for gathering epg data?
    4) Is there an easy way to change bouquests? I have one that i want to delete already
    5) Box noise - is it the fan? Seems louder than my sky hd box - anything that can be done?
    6) Whats the 'cleanest' skin to use for the Vix image?
    7) Is there an RF option for the box? I would like to be able to send channels like we used to do with sky to tv upstairs and use tv link
    8) Channel 4 HD - when i select channel says service unavailable - i assume its FTA as i can see on the sat tuner in my tv? How can you edit an individual channel frequency?
    9) Picture quality - are there plugins I should install to improve picture quality? What are recommended settings for Brightness, Scaler etc?

Cant think of anything else at the moment - but any advice/help for newbie appreciated!

Cheers,
    Mick

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    1. Yes picons are channel logo icons
    2. To get you started download (install them to either Flash or a USB stick for which satellite(s) you need) through the plugins, you will see them in the infobar and the epg if you setup epg to display them.
    3. Wont be an issue when you setup epg to use picons but you can change epg if you wish.
    4. DreamBox Edit on the PC
    5. Can be fan or internal HDD or both, if you have internal HDD try turning off permanent timeshift
    6. Personal preference really, I use Magic HD Night or VIX Night depending on how I feel, try a few out until you find one you prefer.
    7. Nope
    8. Dreambox Edit, you also need a Sly card setup with the cam
    9. Auto resolution plugin, settings for brightness etc is personal preference and very much dependant on your TV

All the info you need is here on the site, Silverfox did a very nice tutorial on how to update your channels/bouquets, he also does a very nice picon set for 28E.

One piece of advice that may save you from pulling your hair out>Do one thing at a time and backup your settings before moving on to trying something else. So once you have your picons working, save everything then move on to setting up epg, if it goes tits up you can be back up and running in a few minutes by flashing a clean image and reloading the last settings that worked fine or you can do a full image backup and just reflash it with your backup.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 15-02-12 at 10:20.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

polomora (18-10-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Max
    So to install the picons - i go to menu - plugins - picons - then which ?

Think VIX night is enabled at the moment..

Will try the auto resolution tonight

Cheers for the help,
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell4321 View Post
    1. Yes picons are channel logo icons
    2. To get you started download (install them to either Flash or a USB stick for which satellite(s) you need) through the plugins, you will see them in the infobar and the epg if you setup epg to display them.
    3. Wont be an issue when you setup epg to use picons but you can change epg if you wish.
    4. DreamBox Edit on the PC
    5. Can be fan or internal HDD or both, if you have internal HDD try turning off permanent timeshift
    6. Personal preference really, I use Magic HD Night or VIX Night depending on how I feel, try a few out until you find one you prefer.
    7. Nope
    8. Dreambox Edit, you also need a Sly card setup with the cam
    9. Auto resolution plugin, settings for brightness etc is personal preference and very much dependant on your TV

All the info you need is here on the site, Silverfox did a very nice tutorial on how to update your channels/bouquets, he also does a very nice picon set for 28E.

One piece of advice that may save you from pulling your hair out>Do one thing at a time and backup your settings before moving on to trying something else. So once you have your picons working, save everything then move on to setting up epg, if it goes tits up you can be back up and running in a few minutes by flashing a clean image and reloading the last settings that worked fine or you can do a full image backup and just reflash it with your backup.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Thanks Max
    So to install the picons - i go to menu - plugins - picons - then which ?

Think VIX night is enabled at the moment..

Will try the auto resolution tonight

Cheers for the help,
    Mick
    Menu>plugins>green button>picons>tv-east-028.2
    This will get you the Sly picons

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

micks_address (15-02-12)

Title
    Thanks
    so if i download picons - just need to enable picons in epg setup?

Menu>plugins>green button>picons>tv-east-028.2
    This will get you the Sly picons

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yes this is done by pressing EPG then Menu
    also set the number of items per page, I have mine set at 8 as I find this a comfortable amount for me with channel preview mode and picture in graphics enabled

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

micks_address (15-02-12)

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    I would make sure you put the picons on a USB stick as if they go to HDD, it will fire up your HDD everytime you change channels. Its good to have a USB anyway so you can backup settings and image as well as for logs and PICONS etc.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, i downloaded the picons and i had a usb stick in the back usb port - got the option to download to hard disk or flash ? so downloaded to internal flash.. they seem to be there on info bar but they are not in the epg.. any ideas?
    yes this is done by pressing EPG then Menu
    also set the number of items per page, I have mine set at 8 as I find this a comfortable amount for me with channel preview mode and picture in graphics enabled

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    what settings have you set in epg menu and did you reboot

Title
    Thanks
    picons enabled = yes, number of items = 8, picture in graphics enabled.. i did a restart by holding down the power button on remote and choosing restart from there..

what settings have you set in epg menu and did you reboot

Title
    Thanks
    trying to update the details for channel 4hd in my channel list using dbedit

i've attached a screenshot from dbedit - are the details correct?

Cheers,
    Mick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks
    Mick is channel 4HD in all channels ?, if so click on it press menu, move it to the required bouquet.

Title
    Thanks
    Trouble is I cant get picture on channel 4hd

Channel 4 HD is as follows for me and works fine.

http://i.imgur.com/J8vTv.png

Title
    Thanks
    thanks will give it a go. Cheers mick

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast