Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Installer needed - Enfield, North London

Title
    Thanks

Installer needed - Enfield, North London

I currently have an 80cm static dish on the back of my house (on the roof) with 2 LNBs and diseqc switch. I'd like to motorise it, upgrade the LNB to a twin output and run a second feed to my receiver (Vu+ Duo).

Can anyone recommend someone and/or suggest what a reasonable installer would charge?

I haven't bought the motor or LNB yet - was going to get a TM-2600 and Inverto Black Ultra from WOS.

Thanks.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Do it yourself mate. I enquired last year and was quoted £300 by a Watford based installer.

In the end did it myself with help from friends and dishpointer.

I get a perfect arc, SNR is 15 on 1W and can get ALJ HD on 7W as well as ALF sports 1 and 2 and movies channels.

The hardest bit is making the pole plumb after that is is easy to mount and fix the dish.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

sonc (18-01-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks m8 - I'd like to do it myself. If it was at ground level I'd have a go, just not too good with heights.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonc View Post
    Thanks m8 - I'd like to do it myself. If it was at ground level I'd have a go, just not too good with heights.
    lol, know what you mean... I had all the knowledge to do it, but I am no good with heights. Dish needed to go at top of a 3-storey house ... no way am I going up that high! hehe
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Thanks
    I know some installers who might be able to help. If I can post numbers in a reply then I will try to help. Or maybe I can do a PM

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Sonc,
    Hope it dosn't blow a lot up on the roof - according to my motor hand book the best place for a motor is where theres shelter from wind because a) strong wind can damage the motor and b) Over a long period of time, chances are the motor + dish will be blown out of satellite arc (even a little looses at least some channels) and readjusment/realignment would be required.
    Have you thought instead of a mulit lnb system for reception of eg 28e 13e 19e? Here lies the lions share of channels, although a larger dish would proberbly be needed. (My neighbour has a small dish with mini lnbs and can recieve many satellites but I dont think Im allowed to give the manufactures name here - rules)
    Just a thought as I find I view most tv from these satellites and, to be honest, after 2 years with a motorized system, I'm loosing interest in scanning and updating all the satellites recieved - after time you come to know whats up there and also the number of free to air channels seems to be decreasing year by year, giving way to coded signaling (although at 28e there's presently more than ever).
    Hope this helps. Conax.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Conaxthewarrior For This Useful Post:

sonc (19-02-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Conax,
    Thanks for the advice. I'd come to the same decision more or less. I'm going to stick with the 2 lnb setup (19e and 13e) and add a mini dish for 28e with a separate feed to my Duo. The lnb holder looks too short to hold a 3rd, and also I can get the mini-dish located somewhere more accessible, so if something goes wrong I may be able to sort it myself.
    Cheers,
    sonc

Title
    Thanks
    Glad to be of help. Just somthing else quick that I didn't know but you proberbly do(!) , theres no need for a dish larger than 50cm for reception of the 28e from within the uk (just looked it up at lyngsat maps). So any larger dish might be a waste of money.I use a 110cm but only because my area is some 5-600 miles outside the UK (Vejle Denmark). I tried a 50 cm once & BBC2 England was the main problem being jittery in wet weather, otherwse ok so you can see even so far out, the signal's really strong. (There are three beams in all ,S1 S2 and Fixed, all centered around Holland/France/Germany area.)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks - I'm all sorted now. I've had a smaller fixed dish for 28.2e installed just below my existing dish. I output goes into a 4-way disecq with 19.2e and 13e from the bigger dish, and the other straight into LNB2 on the Duo. I paid £120 for the "freesat" 28.2e installation, and £50 for replacing my 2 old LNBs (which I'd already bought), new cabling between the LNBs and switch, new 4-way desecq switch and "shotgun" cabling neatly stapled to the wall (replacing the old cable that was thrown over the roof).

I'm happy with the work - I'd recommend the guy if anyone wants to PM me.