Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VU+ Duo or Protek MK-1

Title
    Thanks

VU+ Duo or Protek MK-1

Hi

First post here and just about to order one of the above boxes tonight hopefully!
    Having read up on the Protek and had some details sent to me I think I understand its quite easy to use and updates via the internet connection.
    Now looking at the Duo which has the dual tuners which I'd like (The MK-1 can have a second tuner added) it seems to have loads of support but far more DIY.
    Would I have to download stuff on a daily basis to the Duo?
    If anyone can give me an idea of the differences between the two and if the features are similar? I'm drawn towards the Duo but other than the dual tuner I've no idea which is best for me.

I'm quite techno, used to networking etc but would like something that doesn't require me to be an expert, needing constant updating.
    I'd like some future proofing and although I think I have an idea of the capabilities of these boxes It does seem quite hard to get a true reflection of both to compare.

Any help would be great please?

Thanks Paul

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    If its future proofing your after, than its the DUO all the way, its open source, plenty of teams making images for it and it does not need constant updating, monthly to keep your channels up to date but there are tons of great people on the net who do this.

If your comfortable around technology than you will not have any problems and if you do just post up here for plenty of help from the forumnites.

Sorry can't help on the protek and google does not say opensource just linux OS so could be a closed box.

If you do go for a DUO or a Protek, don't forget our forum sponsor and the £5 off for forum members.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Stanman

Well it seems I might as well give it a go. I've just made an offer through Ebay to your sponsor for the same as I can get it from another dealer on Ebay so hopefully I'll have a new box by Tuesday.
    Then the fun starts!
    It says it will flash it for me, but how do I find out details of the different versions so I know which one to have to start with?

Thanks for the help on a Sunday!

Cheers Paul

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You can pick any image you want, they are literally tons of them out there. As to which the sponsor will flash, drop him a PM and he should be able to confirm.

Personally, as some one new to the the box, I would go with VIX and once your comfortable, you can experiment and settle on a personal favourite.

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

Davegun (27-12-11),playtent (18-12-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Stanman

Purchased from the sponsor and will be here tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far but I'm sure I'll be needing a lot more as I'm going to flash it myself!

Cheers Paul

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Good choice Paul, the Protek MK1 is not true opensource linux.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Good choice mate, just create a thread with any issue you have. You could have got the sponsor to flash an image for you.

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

Title
    Thanks
    Stanman,

He said that he would flash an image but was pretty busy so would have to dispatch Tuesday instead of today for next day delivery. Problem is we are out all day Wednesday and Thursday so I wouldn't get it till Friday if I was lucky! Instead I can have it tomorrow but need to do it myself! I guess I'm going to have to do it myself at some point in the future so I may as well start now and have a few evenings trying to work it out.
    What is an image and why are there different one's? Are they not all the same? Is it the look of the system that I'm downloading via USB?

I'm pretty confused so far but am reading my way through it slowly!

Cheers Paul

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    The image is basically a GUI or graphical user interface, and yes they all differ in that some are just basic images with a few common plugins and a new skin thrown in, where as ViX has almost been coded from the ground up to provide the best balance of user friendliness with some more advanced features and addons etc.

but dont worry we will help you every step of the way to setup your new box.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    To get you started, you need to download the first and third zip files here - there at the bottom.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...2-3-19-10-2011

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

Title
    Thanks
    Guys

Thanks for the help so far...
    Done as already suggested, have the ViX image installed.
    Just getting to grips with it!!!!!

Thanks
    Last edited by playtent; 20-12-11 at 18:37.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Have transferred settings and bouquets or have you scanned? Are your tuner settings correct for your setup?
    D I S C L A I M E R

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playtent View Post
    Guys

Thanks for the help so far...
    Done as already suggested, have the ViX image installed, gone through the settings, go to the EPG guide and loads of channels are listed, press ok on one and thge channel lights up, press it again and it goes to a blank screen with the info bar along the bottom, with the channel name etc, free to air but then a blank black screen until I press something else like menu or EPG again.
    I'm sure I'm missing something?

Thanks
    which channel specifically of are they all doing this ?.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Talk about fast guys!!!!!
    I worked it out by pressing TV, then choosing the correct satellite Astra 19.2E Providers and then I get a picture when I select BBC 1.
    I'm on a fixed dish for now until I get the motorised put up later this week.

I'm now on dreambox edit but can not work out the IP address. I can see the Vuplus in my network but it doesn't show me a properties tag for an IP address and the default one in dbedit doesn't do the trick. I'm using windows vista?

Oh boy, this is going to be a long night!

Title
    Thanks
    OK, some channels work, some don't, BBC1 is fine but ITV1 just gives me the blank screen!

Very interesting!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast