Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Diseqc Motor - different dish bracket angle problem

Title
    Thanks

New Diseqc Motor - different dish bracket angle problem

Hi guys,

After 8 years my Dark Motor gave up the goose the other day so i bought a new TM2600m3 from WOS.

i was hoping it would be an easy swap over, but unfortunately the dish angles different on the two motors - on the dark motor it was 27.5 and it's 5 degree different on the TM2600 making it 22.5. I had it set closer to 30 previously to be honest as it was as far as it would go - unfortunately it's still as far as it will go as the bracket on the dish at the top is pushed up against the motor bracket and without cutting a large chunk away (which i'd already done for the previous motor) it would tilt back to 22.5 degrees.

Presumably there's no way around this and i'm going to have to cut up the bracket a bit more? I'm just a bit worried about how rigid it'll be at the end of it.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by realdannys View Post
    Hi guys,

After 8 years my Dark Motor gave up the goose the other day so i bought a new TM2600m3 from WOS.

i was hoping it would be an easy swap over, but unfortunately the dish angles different on the two motors - on the dark motor it was 27.5 and it's 5 degree different on the TM2600 making it 22.5. I had it set closer to 30 previously to be honest as it was as far as it would go - unfortunately it's still as far as it will go as the bracket on the dish at the top is pushed up against the motor bracket and without cutting a large chunk away (which i'd already done for the previous motor) it would tilt back to 22.5 degrees.

Presumably there's no way around this and i'm going to have to cut up the bracket a bit more? I'm just a bit worried about how rigid it'll be at the end of it.
    Spacers between dish and bracket. for instance if there are 4 fixings 2 spacers on the lower fixings would change the vertical angle of the dish. You may find that a couple of washers or nuts as spacers may provide enough adjustment without effecting rigidity. If the problem is still the dish fouling the motor then equal spacers on all fixing would give you more clearance
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

realdannys (24-09-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Adm! Yes spaces would work good idea. Fortunately i've just realised it needs tilting in the opposite direction where I do believe i've got some space to do it.

Which could bring me to my next question - when setting the satellite angle, where are we supposed to line up to? There's no arrows on it like the motor. If I want it at 22.5 degrees am I just drawing a straight line through the middle of the heads of all the bolts and trying to get that imaginary line to line up with 22 at the top?

IMG_6306.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    Also can I just add to this - I forget how I did it years ago. If when tuning the dish I find it needs to be lifted up to get a stronger signal on the sat, am I best to do this on the motor or on the dish?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Once you set angle on motor, that's it. All further adjustments are on dish.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Abu, that's the confirmation I needed - so the Motor is right, my latitude is 52 so it's set to that (38 elevation on the other side) - (strangely my Dark Motor was set to 55, not sure how...maybe it had moved over the years but it always tracked perfectly) - and i've set the dish to the declination angle assuming straight through the bolts it's where it's point, so now I just move the dish up and down when trying to tune (unfortunately not getting anything yet so it appears i've had to start from the beginning again when changing the motor over)

Title
    Thanks
    Perfect some good reminders there - I got everything perfect 9 years ago but a lot of it has escaped my memory. I do remember now adjusting the dish and not the motor tilt which is probably how the dish ended up closer to 32 rather than the 28 it was recommended to be on.

I ended up with LNB just bob on centre in the end as I didn't find skewing it made any positive difference and may have decreased things on some of the edge satellites. Also misplaced all my sat finders so have another one coming tomorrow!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    You normally set the LNB vertical in the holder if you're using a motor. The motor tilts the whole dish and lnb as it rotates. Once you get your initial satellite optimised (which may involve slightly skewing the LNB or moving it in or out in its bracket), you leave the LNB alone.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Right so i'm back in business. I'm mostly tracking the arc now.

I tweaked for Astra 2 to begin with just because I knew it was easy to initially latch onto. Then Astra 1 - all was working well. Got 0.8w and 7w to scan in some channels. So I went far west to Hipasat and did a manual scan only picking up two channels. Decided to tweak here and bit and managed to rescan and get 550 channels and 98% SNR, great I thought. Went back to Astra 1 and i'd lost my signal, same with most things in between. I had to take the motor itself up just a nats hair to get to latch onto hipasat, i'm talking a tiny tiny amount as neither dish nor angle were doing it.

So i returned Astra 1 and i'm 90%+ SNR there, Astra 2 is of course fine, getting most channels as I scan across but now Hipasat is back to being poor only getting 8 channels. What could I be doing wrong where i'm having either Hipasat or Astra 2 tune properly, I assume that means my arc is off slightly but how and why? I don't remember having this problem before and now I feel like i'm playing wack-a-mole a bit.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Dont adjust at the end of the arc. Use your reference sat - usually 0.8W in the UK or one close to it
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Dont adjust at the end of the arc. Use your reference sat - usually 0.8W in the UK or one close to it
    Yes - if I try to fine tune on 0.8w now, if I step west 3 times it does increase the SNR to 75%. So I guess I could tweak more on 0.8w, maybe that'd bring Hipasat back into focus and still keep my good signal for Astra 2 and others on east.

Title
    Thanks
    I might add I can scan in 1040 channels currently on 0.8w so it's pretty well tuned in - but hopefully if I get it a bit better it might fix what's going on with Hipasat...maybe.

Title
    Thanks
    Ah I found the issue - i'd taken the arm off the motor to adjust the maximum movement (which turned out was fine by default) and had struggled to get it back on properly (a hex bolt and a locking nut which goes inside?! It was strange) it was giving the entire dish some movement, so i've tightened up the hex bolt as much as I can and seems more stable now and I can get all the channels I scanned in on Hipasat, 0.8w and Astra 2 plus everything in between now.

I can do four fine movements west on the dish when on most places to get a stronger signal, but it's only one-two movements west on Hipasat so it's not really something worth doing as I don't think it'll get me anymore channels anyway so i'd just be chasing unnecessary signal strength when the channels appear to play perfectly anyway.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to realdannys For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (27-09-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    If it receives ok when its raining leave it alone.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

realdannys (28-09-20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast