Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Having real difficulties with the menus

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks abu baniaz. Well that's fine as far as it goes - but a decently softwared receiver would at least allow one to record on a USB stick that one had just formatted in the very same box. I'm sorry, it's p*ss poor-design by the programmers. I shouldn't have to be worrying about mountpoints just to record on a stick I've formatted in the very same box, although I take your point about it being invisible on Windows. Problem was it was invisible on my Linux Manjaro laptop as well. And if it's so Linux based why have I had no problems at all hitherto....?

But please don't worry any more, I've got a bodge working and that's doing what I need - as outlined above. But no wonder I've heard the Octagon 4008 called the Octotangle.....

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Learn to FTP and all the faffing you are doing now will be in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or just buy a box with decent software like the Octagon SX88+. Not meaning to sound ungrateful, but it shouldn't be this complicated, and with most boxes it simply ISN'T this complicated.

As I say, if it hadn't been for the multistream I'd have never bought the wretched thing, and now that we have three cheap boxes that do the job with no hassle the 4008 is on borrowed time as far as I'm concerned.

But thanks all for trying to help.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts

Having real difficulties with the menus

Initialise it to Ext4 and then the recordings will work as expected and then learn to FTP. And yes, FTP is very easy to use, even a kid could do it!!

Last edited by Andy_Hazza; 19-07-18 at 13:28.
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Initialise it to Ext4 and then the recordings will work as expected and then learn to FTP. And yes, FTP is very easy to use, even a kid could do it!!

Oh how many times have I heard the proponents of Linux and the like say what you've just said. If it were the case Linux would be the dominant operating system by now.....

There are plenty of things I could say the same about, because I have mastered them and understand the learning process.

The best teachers I had at school were the ones who remembered the difficulties they themselves had had learning something.....

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts

Good luck in trying to solve your issue then, its obvious you don’t like change and you are old skool....

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Well as I've said a couple of times now, the problem is solved to a large extent by getting the 4008 to see sda, and by owning an Octagon SX88+, an Edision Primo, and a Golden Interstar, all of which work intuitively. Several of them purchased from the sponsor incidentally.

Why should I give myself grief mastering something that isn't going to get me anywhere? Sometimes it's better to know and understand one's limitations.

I appreciate that you've tried to help, and I'm grateful, but in the end I've had to find the solution on my own. I'd only have been a nuisance to everyone on here pestering for help had I gone down your route.... The words hammer and nut come to mind in this context.

Anyway, thanks to everyone and happy viewing!
    Last edited by moulin; 19-07-18 at 16:19.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    The only nuissance is not answering questions when asked. The image is the generally the same. no matter which receiver you use. Most people seem to get along OK with it.

If you want to learn, there are plenty of people happy to help and enjoy doing so. We mostly use Vix here, so you will get more help if you are on the same image as most of us.

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry abu baniaz - which question didn't I answer?

Not that anyone answered my question as to what the default record location settings should be, but never mind.....

I appreciate that there are a lot of clever folk on here, and if the 4008 was still my only option then I would risk wasting your time and sanity asking for help, but it's pointless for all sides now, given that I have simpler alternative receivers which do all that the 4008 can do, apart from Series Link recordings and DVB-S2X. There seems to be offence taken that I'm not asking for further help, but you should be relieved rather than annoyed - honestly!
    Last edited by moulin; 20-07-18 at 08:29.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moulin View Post
    Sorry abu baniaz - which question didn't I answer?

Not that anyone answered my question as to what the default record location settings should be, but never mind.....
    Actually, I answered that question, but deleted the answer when I realised you are using OpenATV, not ViX.

I had no idea if it was correct, although I would have been surprised if it was wrong.

Title
    Thanks

Someone asked you to check the mount points. Pretty sure it was ccs

Default recording location is /media/hdd/
    If the device is mounted as anything else, any default reference to it will fail. This is what is happening to you. You either have to correct the mount point or change the setting paths in several places or also add a bookmark to the new location.

Title
    Thanks
    You said you were uncertaint if you could reuse your channel list. Yes you can. It is good practice to backup your bouquets regularly.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Someone asked you to check the mount points. Pretty sure it was ccs

Default recording location is /media/hdd/
    If the device is mounted as anything else, any default reference to it will fail. This is what is happening to you. You either have to correct the mount point or change the setting paths in several places or also add a bookmark to the new location.

You're absolutely right, apologies. I think I overlooked it because I'd changed so many settings and reformatted so often that I had no idea where I was.

And you are also right in that now I've changed the setting paths to involve the magic word sda I can at least now record, first successful timer recording was this morning.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    You said you were uncertaint if you could reuse your channel list. Yes you can. It is good practice to backup your bouquets regularly.

Right, that's my job for tomorrow. Although I'm fairly certain that I've got a copy of it on the laptop, because one of the things that you folk were able to help me with a year ago, in spite of my uselessness, was to use Dreambox channel edit (?, was it that, something like that anyway, symbol of a black horse came into it I think) to delete all the channels I didn't want. I almost became proficient.....

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Can we clear something up here please, are you still using OpenATV or have you switched to OpenViX?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    See my previous response in #68.

However, to confirm, yes, under system it says OpenATV image, and it's the same one that was put on by the supplier eighteen months ago.

I did elsewhere make a passing reference to ViX I see, but that was an error due to my confused state,

As I also keep saying, as far as being able to make recordings is concerned, the box is now doing the job, even if it's not in a way that most of you appear to approve of. So whilst I am grateful for any further help I should stress - again - that I can't guarantee to be up to the job either of understanding your suggestions or of risking implementing them.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast