Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: All black recordings

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All black recordings

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

All black recordings

For some time now, probably a few months, I have found recordings that are all black. By this I mean that recording has the expected length, but all you see is black with no sound for the full length. It is as if the recording has been made from a source that is not connected.

Not all recordings are like this, but the number seem to be growing. There are more such recordings on some channels than others. I used to make a lot of recordings from BBC Earth, and in the beginning a few recordings were black, and then the number grew, and right now it looks as if all recordings from BBC Earth are black. But other channels are hit too. Now I record every broadcast of the series I want, even if there are two or three of the same episode, and mostly only one episode is recorded black, and the others are OK.

I have once watched a programme on BBC Earth while it was recorded, but when I looked at the recording afterwards, it was black.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    What is your setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have a VU+ Duo4K with 2 FBC DVBC receivers.

Title
    Thanks
    You have Virgin I’m guessing with an active sub? Tuner configuration setup correctly? Your Softcam (Oscam) running ok?

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    You have Virgin I’m guessing with an active sub? Tuner configuration setup correctly? Your Softcam (Oscam) running ok?
    I live in Denmark, and I have cable TV from a company called YouSee. The sub works fine. I guess the tuner configuration is correct, because I can watch every channel I want at all times. I do not know what a Softcam or Oscam is.

Now I realize that one of the FBCs might be defective, but I do not know how to see on what receiver a recording has been made, or if you could force it to avoid that receiver.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Tuners used...…

Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    If you go to timers, highlight a completed timer, and press info, it will tell you which tuner was used.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (08-05-19),steenkh (08-05-19),twol (08-05-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I checked one of the done timers with a black recording, and it said Timer A. The timer of most normal recording I have checked also said A, so I guess this idea was a dud. It probably is not a hardware failure after all.

I do not have an Info button on my remote control, but it seems that long-pressing the EPG button does something similar. I got a kind of log that told how the recording changed states ("activating state 2" - "start recording on tuner: A" - "activating state 3" - "stop recording on tuner: A"), exactly the same for the normal recordings.

By the way, the channel with almost exclusively black recordings is BBC Brit. I misremembered when I thought it was BBC Earth, not that I think it matters.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have found some recordings from BBC Brit from March, so I thought that perhaps the problem would go away if I restored ViX from March, but a test recording after this was also black. Now I am back with the latest build.

If we suppose that there is a hardware problem with one of the two tuners, could I test this? There are 8 receivers on each, so I am pretty sure that the second FBC has never been used. Can I disable the first one somehow? I guess I need to rescan all the channels if I simply unplug the FBC. Can that be done without losing all of the autotimers and sequencing of the channels in the EPG list?

Title
    Thanks
    I would provide logs personally and let someone take a look to see what maybe causing your issue.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I am away for some days, but I'll generate diagnostic logs when I get back.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to steenkh For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (11-05-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    This problem is harder to get a grip on than I thought. Before I started a diagnostic logs, I tried a recording from BBC Brit simply by pressing the red recording button. This recording was normal, not black. Then I changed to another channel, and started a timed recording on BBC Brit on a programme that was already running, and this too was normal. Next I made a timed recording some hours in the future, and this recording was black.

The next step was to start a diagnostic log, reboot, and make a timed recording some hours in the future. However, this recording was normal, so the diagnostic log is worthless.

Since then, all timed recordings on BBC Brit have been black, and I have even had a recording on another channel that was black.

I am at a loss for new ideas.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
    I live in Denmark, and I have cable TV from a company called YouSee. The sub works fine. I guess the tuner configuration is correct, because I can watch every channel I want at all times. I do not know what a Softcam or Oscam is.

Now I realize that one of the FBCs might be defective, but I do not know how to see on what receiver a recording has been made, or if you could force it to avoid that receiver.
    Are you using a CI Cam and card from provider? Or card direct in slot?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    you can check tuner settings online while watching if you use PiP. If PiP is working in all combinations then recordings should be fine.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Are you using a CI Cam and card from provider? Or card direct in slot?
    There is no CI card. The cable is inserted into the FBC receiver and that is all.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    you can check tuner settings online while watching if you use PiP. If PiP is working in all combinations then recordings should be fine.
    I am not quite sure what I should do with PiP. I can try activating it and navigate to other channels while PiP is showing BBC Brit?

It seems BBC Brit consistently produces black recordings when a timer for a future programme is used, but my most recent failure was on a channel called TV2 Charlie, where I have lots of good recordings, including some that were made after the black recording.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast