Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade/update HD51

Title
    Thanks

Upgrade/update HD51

I have been looking at the VU + Uno as an upgrade to my Mutant HD51 box, but the price was a bit more that I wanted to pay. Also, as the zgemma H7S and Octogon SF8008 boxes were recommended in other threads, I have looked at those as well.
    I have a twin cable satellite feed in, and would want a box which has twin receivers. My HD51 has a fitted hard drive, and the zgemma H7S has that option as well, but the SF8008 has a usb hard drive option. Is that a hard drive in a usb enclosure plugged into a usb socket.

Also what is the difference between the 2 SF8008 boxes, where 1 has 5 stars and 3 reviews, but the other has neither.
    Edit:
    The one with 5 stars and 3 reviews is a combo receiver and , if I read this right, it has twin satellite receivers, DVB-S2X, and DBV-C/T2. This box is cheaper than the other one, which does not have a C/T2 receiver/connection.

Looking at the picture for the back of both receivers, they both look the same with 1 satellite and 1 C/T2 connections.

A further point is that the SF8008 has:
    Hisilicon Hi3798MV200 Huawei
    - Quad Core 64Bit (4x 1.6GHz) 15000 DMIPS
    - Flash 8GB eMMC
    - RAM 1GB DDR4

Which looks impressive comapred to my HD51.

The zgemma, however has:
    ARM Brahma 15 Dual Core 1700Mhz 12K DMIPS
    ​BCM7251S Dual Core Mainchipest

Are there any other comparable satellite boxes which have roughly the same specs as the SF8008, or should I just go for the SF8008 , with 5 stars and 3 reviews.

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to avalon65 For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    The HD51 is a really good receiver and I personally would not consider either the Vu+ or the Zgemma as an upgrade.
    The Octagon (in my view) is comparable (the Hisilicon chips are comparable to the Broadcom chips they are both Arm designed chips -different company‘s) but has had continued updates to the features, so in that respect its the better box.

I guess my Q. Is why you are looking for a different receiver and what are your expectations - because without specific requirements you could be really disappointed in changing from the HD51

... and I have had the HD51, currently have the SF8008 and a bunch of Zgemma‘s - so understand their capabilities.
    Last edited by twol; 13-08-19 at 19:31.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    The HD51 is a really good receiver and I personally would not consider either the Vu+ or the Zgemma as an upgrade.
    The Octagon (in my view) is comparable (the Hisilicon chips are comparable to the Broadcom chips they are both Arm designed chips -different company‘s) but has had continued updates to the features, so in that respect its the better box.

I guess my Q. Is why you are looking for a different receiver and what are your expectations - because without specific requirements you could be really disappointed in changing from the HD51

... and I have had the HD51, currently have the SF8008 and a bunch of Zgemma‘s - so understand their capabilities.
    The SF8008 is a better box, than the zgemma or the HD51. I didn't know nor realise that both chips are Arm designed. (The i7 and xeon cpu's are both from intel, but 1 is cheaper and more stable)

Could I ask then why you changed from the HD51 to the SF8008. I have no real desire to change, as it is just my misconception that the SF8008 with the Hisilocon quad core chip would be somewhat better, but maybe not. I don't have any specific expectations other than to be able to record 1 or more channels and watch another, hence twin feeds.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    The HD51 is a great receiver and at the time I had 4 Arm receivers (2 x GB4K, SF8008 and HD51) and other boxes coming, so it was a choice between selling the HD51 or the SF8008 and at the time felt that I could re-sell the HD51 for more money (and I got a good deal - because it was a hot box)

The sf8008 has improved significantly over the last 12 months and currently is a super box with great features — and as such is probably the reference box to compare against (but its multiboot implementation is poor- sorry an important feature for me!!)
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I would imagine he tests many many boxes as one of the top blokes in testing openvix

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    I would imagine he tests many many boxes as one of the top blokes in testing openvix
    Yes, it certainly looks like that, and I couldn't imagine many folk buying so many boxes to try just like that.

Anyway, for now I'm going to keep my HD51 for a while longer, as it does what I want, and I'm not bothered about multibooting. ( I did enough of that with computers years ago)

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    One thing I have been considering is IPTV, and that was probably why I was looking at a box which could do that. Can the HD51 do or handle IPTV

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes it can,most e2 boxes do now.
    Any boxes that dont take an internal hdd i normally use a 3.5 externally powered hdd,1tb and 2tb not afford the 6tb yet
    Last edited by cactikid; 14-08-19 at 09:40.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    Yes it can,most e2 boxes do now.
    Any boxes that dont take an internal hdd i normally use a 3.5 externally powered hdd,1tb and 2tb not afford the 6tb yet
    Ok thanks, is there a plugin to install/use for IPTV. Basically I'm asking how do I get IPTV working on the HD51.

I have a 500GB internal hard drive in my HD51, and only about 10% gets used so far.
    Last edited by avalon65; 14-08-19 at 11:04.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to avalon65 For This Useful Post:

cactikid (14-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avalon65 View Post
    Ok thanks, is there a plugin to install/use for IPTV. Basically I'm asking how do I get IPTV working on the HD51.

I have a 500GB internal hard drive in my HD51, and only about 10% gets used so far.
    Use the Stalker app which is available in the ViX feeds. You will need to input the providers url and provide your Stalker MAC addy to your provider to activate it. Lovely GUI the Stalker is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

cactikid (14-08-19)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Use the Stalker app which is available in the ViX feeds. You will need to input the providers url and provide your Stalker MAC addy to your provider to activate it. Lovely GUI the Stalker is.

can you get EPG with stalker?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post

I found stalker-qt in the plugins extensions, and installed it, which seems to be what you say.

When I open the Stalker GUI, there is another black box which appears on the top right of the screen with 3 vertical rows of text and numbers. What is that for.

Thanks
    Last edited by avalon65; 14-08-19 at 11:47.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post
    can you get EPG with stalker?
    Supplier takes care of the EPG in Stalker. You get about 5 days EPG, updated regular too.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

cactikid (14-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by avalon65 View Post
    I found stalker-qt in the plugins extensions, and installed it, which seems to be what you say.

How do I find the Stalker MAC addy, is it the MAC of the HD51

Thanks
    Menu > Plugins > Stalker Setup & you will see the MAC addy top right hand side. This is where you would input the url from your supplier.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

avalon65 (14-08-19),cactikid (14-08-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that
    Last edited by avalon65; 14-08-19 at 12:41. Reason: found what I wanted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast