Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote stopped working

Title
    Thanks

Remote stopped working

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I'm not sure which is the correct one.

I bought a new Gigablue V3 remote 6 weeks ago, and now it is doing just what the old one did. It worked fine upto about a week ago, and now it takes upto 5 minutes before the receiver responds, or at least until the led actually flickers on the remote and receiver. I have pressed the Giga button many times but still no joy. When I press the Giga button on the remote, the led does not flicker, and neither does it when I press the tv/rad button.

Is there a good alternative remote I can use for my receiver. I've googled that question but I don't know which remote would work for or with the receiver.
    I need a permanent solution to this problem as I can't keep buying new remotes every few months
    Thanks
    Last edited by avalon65; 02-06-23 at 08:53.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    The obvious thing would be to ensure the batteries are good - not using rechargeables by any chance? The fact that the LED on the remote is not flickering would indicate some battery issue, unless you are really unlucky with the actual remote. No possibility of liquid being spilled on the remote?
    Other suggestions - an LED lamp fixture in the room (or the actual TV) might be interfering with the remote.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by avalon65 View Post
    Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I'm not sure which is the correct one.

I bought a new Gigablue V3 remote 6 weeks ago, and now it is doing just what the old one did. It worked fine upto about a week ago, and now it takes upto 5 minutes before the receiver responds, or at least until the led actually flickers on the remote and receiver. I have pressed the Giga button many times but still no joy.

Is there a good alternative remote I can use for my receiver. I've googled that question but I don't know which remote would work for or with the receiver.
    I need a permanent solution to this problem as I can't keep buying new remotes every few months
    Thanks
    To clarify, are you saying the visible indicator light on the remote doesn't illuminate when you press a button on the remote?

Have you checked that the IR LED on the remote is working with a phone camera. Note on some phones (iphones in particular) the main cameras have an IR filter which doesn't allow the IR LED in the remote to be seen. However the camera on the phone screen possibly doesn't have this filter. Point the remote at the phone camera and press any button - do you see the IR LED flashing on the phone screen?

If you have a digital multimeter? If so have you checked the voltages of the remote's batteries whilst they are still in the remote with a button pressed?

I assume that you are not using rechargeable batteries in the remote. Many remotes are sensitive to the terminal voltage of the battery and a rechargeable battery may only be 1.2V whereas an alkaline battery will have a nominal voltage of 1.5V. A newly charged rechargeable battery in a remote may only work for a short while before it needs recharging.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    @avalon65 - I see you edited your post just after I had posted my reply, so I'm not sure if it was in response to my post. I have an original Gigablue V2 remote and it doesn't have any indicator LED, unlike the aftermarket V2 and V3 remotes which I can see on a well-known shopping site. However, as @adm posted, you should be able to see if the infrared LED (IR LED) is emitting by pointing a video camera at it. As I pointed out (and also @adm), battery voltage is important - rechargeables won't cut it.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies
    No, I don't use rechargeables in the remote as I know there is a voltage difference, which matters.

I tried the remote again , but it didn't work with the receiver nor did the led flicker when I pressed any buttons.
    I then tried the same with pointing the remote at my phone camera, still nothing. Then I took out the batteries to check the voltage on each. 1 battery read 1.458 volts and the other read 1.49 volts, after which I replaced the batteries in the remote, and it worked!!

So next time it doesn't work, I will remove the batteries then replace them. Hopefully that will work??

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies
    No, I don't use rechargeables in the remote as I know there is a voltage difference, which matters.

I tried the remote again , but it didn't work with the receiver nor did the led flicker when I pressed any buttons.
    I then tried the same with pointing the remote at my phone camera, still nothing. Then I took out the batteries to check the voltage on each. 1 battery read 1.458 volts and the other read 1.49 volts, after which I replaced the batteries in the remote, and it worked!!

So next time it doesn't work, I will remove the batteries then replace them. Hopefully that will work??
    Good that you're sorted. Seemed to me that battery was the likely culprit as no indicator (visible) LED showing. The fact that the batteries were reading almost 1.5V on your meter would be the open circuit voltage and one or other might have dropped lower once inserted in the remote. Even so-called name-brand batteries can be variable in quality (or even fake). I use a couple of small LCD monitors for displaying electricity use and the three AA batteries last about six months or so. When I replace them I invariable find one battery is really low (below 1V) and the other two are ok.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Thanks for the replies

Noticed that for some reason the Giga remote is very power sensitive - changing batteries works wonders
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Noticed that for some reason the Giga remote is very power sensitive - changing batteries works wonders
    Although much more expensive 1.5V lithium batteries will maintain a 1.5V terminal voltage for much of their usage lifetime. Approx £2 each for both AA and AAA.

Code:
    https://www.energizer.com/batteries/energizer-ultimate-lithium-batteries
    See performance graphs for the lithium AA batteries
    Code:
    https://data.energizer.com/pdfs/l91.pdf
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Update;
    After 3 hours , I tried the remote again and it didn't work! I took out the batteries and replaced them, then tried again, no joy yet. So I then pressed the Giga button repeatedly until the led actually flickered, then it worked after about a minute or so.

I'll buy some new 1.5v batteries tomorrow , and see how they go.

@adm
    Thanks for the info on the lithium batteries, and will look at those

Title
    Thanks
    Either you have some crap batch of batteries or the remote is actually faulty. You don't need to be spending big money on lithium batteries for remotes that hundreds/thousands of us use every day without problems.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Before you go shopping, do you have an Aldi store near you? Their batteries are a "Which best buy" and good value- £2.00-£3.00 for 10. Also when you test your batteries, did you do this with them under load? A quick way is with a 100 ohm resistor.
    Gigablue UHD UE4K (Openvix)
    80 cm 2 Universal LNBs (Hot Bird, Astra 19°) to DiSEqC then to Gigablue
    60 cm Sky Dish Quad LNB one cable direct to Sky HD+box, 2nd cable to DiSEqC then to Gigablue
    65 cm Dish (16°) to DiSEqC then to Gigblue
    Zgemma H7S (Openvix) Now used as a backup box
    Viark 4K Box

Title
    Thanks
    @Joe_90.
    I was using the original batteries which came with the remote when I bought the receiver back in September 2021, and thought they would be ok. Evidently not, as this is the first ever remote I have had to put new batteries in regardless of how long I have had the remote.
    So I went to Wilkos and bought a pack of 4 AAA 1.5v Duracell optimum, which when measured , showed 1.7v with my meter. I put 2 of them in the Gigablue remote , and after 4 hours it is still working . It would seem then that the batteries I was using were probably 'crappy' or the remote is power hungry and doesn't work well with less than 1.48 volts.

@malcommp,
    My nearest Aldi is about a 20 minute walk and by the time I saw you message I had already bought new batteries . No I didn't test them under load, but I should have done.
    Thanks anyway

13. The Following User Says Thank You to avalon65 For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (04-06-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Beware of Duracell batteries leak if you have other remotes , check them for leaks.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    Beware of Duracell batteries leak if you have other remotes , check them for leaks.
    +1 They really are trading on their past perceived reputation but these days any Duracell alkaline battery (copper top, Procell, Industrial) are really poor and in my experience leak like hell even during their expected normal lifespan. In other groups I read similar observations about Duracell batteries have been stated by others. I used to buy a lot of Duracell Procell, later re-branded as Industrial, and noticed serious problems with them around 5 years ago. I no longer buy Duracell branded batteries.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

cactikid (03-06-23)

Title
    Thanks
    @Joe_90.
    I was using the original batteries which came with the remote when I bought the receiver back in September 2021, and thought they would be ok. Evidently not, as this is the first ever remote I have had to put new batteries in regardless of how long I have had the remote.
    So I went to Wilkos and bought a pack of 4 AAA 1.5v Duracell optimum, which when measured , showed 1.7v with my meter. I put 2 of them in the Gigablue remote , and after 4 hours it is still working . It would seem then that the batteries I was using were probably 'crappy' or the remote is power hungry and doesn't work well with less than 1.48 volts.

@malcommp,
    My nearest Aldi is about a 20 minute walk and by the time I saw you message I had already bought new batteries . No I didn't test them under load, but I should have done.
    Thanks anyway
    September 2021 good luck when I just bought my gigablue uhd quad 4k , I thought the remote was broken just out of the box but know the remote was ok had to press giga button + 5 user error because hand book was in german but quick search eventually on internet I found the answer remote should have worked but at that time I did ask for openatv to be installed but for some reason remote control code was always set to 1 buy default on openatv. But remote controle code on remote as new was set to 2 .
    I think it was at the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast