Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opticum Unicable LNB with Vu+ FBC tuners

Title
    Thanks

Opticum Unicable LNB with Vu+ FBC tuners

I have an Opticum Red Robust Unicable LNB 2 SCR2 LNB (a type which seems quite widely available online) and I want it to feed one of the FBC tuners on a Vu+ Solo 4K running OpenVIX 5.3. The LNB is connected via a splitter (Dur-Line DFV SAT/BK Splitter); this also feeds an Inverto Multibox SAT>IP server, which is happily receiving the upper four SCR channels supplied by the LNB (these are the channels it defaults to).

Now I would like to receive the lower four SCR channels on the Vu+ box, but I can't get this to work. I've connected the antenna feed to the LNB2 input, intending to use Tuner B connected through to virtual tuners C, D and E (I've also tried Tuner A connected through to C, D, E). Unfortunately no Opticum LNB is listed in the menu of Unicable/JESS devices, and so I have configured it as a user-defined Unicable LNB operating on the lower four SCR channels. But the Vu+ box finds no signals at all on these channels, even while the Inverto Multibox is receiving normally.

I do have experience of Unicable (I've previously run this receiver for two or three years with a Spaun SUS 5581 Unicable device as part of a larger DiSEqC system). The cable connecting the receiver and the splitter is OK (it delivers LNB power from the receiver). The Vu+ receiver works normally on its other inputs.

What am I doing wrong?
    GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K (Unicable + multiswitch DiSEqC 1.1/1.0 system); Octagon SF4008; Vu+ Solo4K; Edision OS mio 4K; Inverto Multibox SAT>IP; Wavefrontier toroidal dish

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arcy For This Useful Post:

wozles (24-10-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,892 Times in 2,245 Posts
    I use this LNB for my 27.5W reception and a DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 (28.2E) plus Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA (19.2E)

Attached is a file unicable.xml that contains the setup for the Opticum - so suggest for the moment you copy into /usr/share/enigma2 and reboot (you should really connect by Putty (Telnet) and issue an init 4 , then copy the file followed by an init 6 (spaces between the init and number)
    Also attached are my tuner setups for the Opticum - obviously you might change the SCR channels.

If it works for you I probably need to issue a Pull to update the Unicable table values for the Opticum.

You might need to start with a fresh flash as I never find the tuner setup very forgiving, it remembers previous settings (and mistakes) - so I often need several reboots before it keeps the correct setup.

unicable.xml

1_0_19_4484_1000_1_CFDACE7_0_0_0_20191004144616.jpg1_0_19_4484_1000_1_CFDACE7_0_0_0_20191004144448.jpg1_0_19_4484_1000_1_CFDACE7_0_0_0_20191004144303.jpg
    Last edited by twol; 04-10-19 at 14:05.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (04-10-19),Sicilian (04-10-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you for that very swift reply, twol -- but unfortunately it's still not working for me, and I am wondering what elementary mistake I might have made.

I installed your modified unicable.xml file, and the Opticom entry then showed among the Unicable LNBs.

You were right -- it did take a reflash and some reboots to make my new settings stabilize, but the signal finder still finds nothing. You'll see my settings in these screen-grabs (I have tidied up my tuner usage to A, B, C and D while trying to get this working).
    screenshot_opt05.jpgscreenshot_opt06.jpgscreenshot_opt07.jpgscreenshot_opt08.jpg
    I've also tried setting the tuners to the other four SCRs (after first disconnecting the Inverto SAT>IP box) but it made no difference.
    GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K (Unicable + multiswitch DiSEqC 1.1/1.0 system); Octagon SF4008; Vu+ Solo4K; Edision OS mio 4K; Inverto Multibox SAT>IP; Wavefrontier toroidal dish

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    Thank you for that very swift reply, twol -- but unfortunately it's still not working for me, and I am wondering what elementary mistake I might have made.

I installed your modified unicable.xml file, and the Opticom entry then showed among the Unicable LNBs.

You were right -- it did take a reflash and some reboots to make my new settings stabilize, but the signal finder still finds nothing. You'll see my settings in these screen-grabs (I have tidied up my tuner usage to A, B, C and D while trying to get this working).
    screenshot_opt05.jpgscreenshot_opt06.jpgscreenshot_opt07.jpgscreenshot_opt08.jpg
    I've also tried setting the tuners to the other four SCRs (after first disconnecting the Inverto SAT>IP box) but it made no difference.
    Remove the splitter and try going straight into the Solo4K use a simple connector if the cable is not long enough........ as an aside the Opticum LNB works pretty well for me, signal being better than the older "legacy" LNB I initially used.

I don't know how the external ports are marked on the Vu+ but I assume that you are connected to the external "A" port - with nothing on the external "B" port? (or 1 and 2 whatever they use))
    If so I think you should be using tuners C, D, E connected to A with B disabled.
    Last edited by twol; 04-10-19 at 16:01.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks
    I've now removed the splitter and my LNB cable goes direct to the Vu+'s "LNB1 IN" connector (it is labelled so, in small print); nothing is connected to "LNB2 IN". In Tuner Setup, I've linked A to B, B to C, C to D... and so on, up to G to H; and I've assigned the User Bands to them in order from 1 to 8. On each page, I've left the LNB numbered as LNB1, since there is no other LNB1 on this receiver. This is the same configuration that I used successfully with the Spaun stacker.

I've also tried connecting all tuners B...H back to tuner A, which I've seen recommended for newer images on the Vu+ Solo 4K. And I've rebooted numerous times. But still no signals :-(

Title
    Thanks
    In tuner setup the additional tuners are all connected to the base tuner eg C,D,E connected only to A
    In my setup on my main receiver A is on 28.2E and C,D,E are connected to A, B is connected to 27.%W and F,G,H are connected to B
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Arcy (04-10-19)

Title
    Thanks
    What you could do is attach the FBC tuner to the legacy port on the LNB and treat as a straight simple connection ... and see what happens
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you, twol. I've now tried this, and I find that the 'legacy' outputs are working fine. I guessed they might, because my SAT>IP server happily receives the upper four User Bands while the Vu+ Solo 4K, connected either by itself or via the splitter, is seeing nothing at all.

Furthermore, I've since connected the same antenna cable into my GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K, changing the tuner type to Opticum and altering the user bands accordingly. It began receiving programmes as soon as I changed the settings of the individual tuners, without even waiting to be rebooted. To confirm that it was all working, I recorded from eight different transponders simultaneously.

But still nothing happens when I connect the same cable to the Solo 4K. I notice that the unicable.xml file contains nothing except a list of the User Bands for each receiver type, so there appear to be no special magic settings there. My Solo 4K certainly can handle Unicable on its FBC tuners, because it was doing exactly that until three weeks ago. The only difference I can see now is that the Opticum LNB employs a rather broader range of channels than my Spaun Unicable stacker.

So I wonder whether there could be something else in the Solo 4K that needs to be set.

Title
    Thanks
    There is nothing special in the Unicable.xml it just defines the LNB

If the Giga works, then it sounds like a Vu+ driver issue (really not uncommon - for the extra you pay for Vu+ you would expect better but- they constantly fail to deliver - you only have to look at the Vu+ driver updates (and corrections to an update) ( my view).

However, it could be a tuner hardware issue - so depends on who you bought the box from!

There is certainly nothing special about the Opticum LNB it just supports Unicable plus legacy like may others.
    Last edited by twol; 05-10-19 at 19:11.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Arcy (05-10-19)

Title
    Thanks
    I bought the Vu+ box from, ahem, the board sponsor, but it was quite a while ago! I don't see that this can be a hardware problem in its FBC tuners, because they worked faultlessly with the Spaun Unicable device.

For me, I suppose one solution might be to try a Unicable 2 LNB, but that probably wouldn't be backward-compatible with my Inverto Multibox SAT>IP server. Another would be if the SAT>IP server promised in GigaBlue's product literature for the UHD Quad 4K were to materialize (in which case I wouldn't need three Multibox). But as far as I can make out, that hasn't happened yet.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,941 Times in 3,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    B is connected to 27.%W and F,G,H are connected to B
    What is the point in that? All that stuff on 27.5W is on one transponder.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Well originally on the GB Quad4K ( my main box), I had the FBC tuners(A-> H) spread across 28.2E and 19.2E with 27.5W on the plugin tuner (same setup now as the GB UE4K) but I was continuously getting recordings on 27.5W with 0 bytes, so I just thought I would flip it just to see what happened & I don‘t get the 0 bytes issue now.
    So it may not be the way to do it - but it works for me.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,941 Times in 3,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Well originally on the GB Quad4K ( my main box), I had the FBC tuners(A-> H) spread across 28.2E and 19.2E with 27.5W on the plugin tuner (same setup now as the GB UE4K) but I was continuously getting recordings on 27.5W with 0 bytes, so I just thought I would flip it just to see what happened & I don‘t get the 0 bytes issue now.
    So it may not be the way to do it - but it works for me.
    There was a bug in Unicable simultaneous recordings. This caused zero length recordings. It is now fixed. Maybe that was the problem.

For 27.5W I can't see any good reason to use a Unicable LNB. Just a single should be good. And maybe just linked to a USB tuner.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos
    I suppose it is because of the misconception that you need more than one tuner to record more than one service. Whereas one tuner allows multiple access to one transponder.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

wozles (24-10-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    There was a bug in Unicable simultaneous recordings. This caused zero length recordings. It is now fixed. Maybe that was the problem.

For 27.5W I can't see any good reason to use a Unicable LNB. Just a single should be good. And maybe just linked to a USB tuner.
    No this was after the bug (and it happened initially on a legacy LNB/tuner) - only tried this because it was (relatively) easy to try, it has worked and so left as is - it‘s totally illogical but don‘t have time to mess around with the main box as long as it works!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast