Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: ABM Frequency Finder Niggles

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

ABM Frequency Finder Niggles

I have just tried this feature, and the resulting Providers selection entry is as follows:

FrequencyFinder.jpg

which seems to have two minor problems:

(1) Selecting the new "East Anglia terrestrial" has not deselected Freeview UK and it is still possible to edit the transmitter under that. I have not checked whether this matters in the subsequent scan.

(2) The name is two long, overwriting some of the selections. In this case the selections are just about decodable, but are there others where it is worse?

EMJB
    Xtrend Xt10000 with 3 Freeview tuners

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    1) is not a bug. If you are no longer want to use a provider disable it manually.
    2) is a skin issue. Nothing to do with ABM.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    1) is not a bug. If you are no longer want to use a provider disable it manually.
    Are you saying that in the situation in the screenshot the user is expected to deselect "UK Freeview" having selected "East Anglia Terrestrial"? This may not be obvious to everyone as the latter is part of Freeview.

2) is a skin issue. Nothing to do with ABM.
    I will raise this under the skins section of the forum, hopefully tomorrow.

EMJB

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EMJB View Post
    Are you saying that in the situation in the screenshot the user is expected to deselect "UK Freeview" having selected "East Anglia Terrestrial"? This may not be obvious to everyone as the latter is part of Freeview.B
    So what is your suggestion? Please attach a patch to support your idea so we can see what you mean.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    So what is your suggestion? Please attach a patch to support your idea so we can see what you mean.
    Firstly may I emphasise that in this and other issues I have raised (or will raise in the near future) I have been trying to look at the operation of ABM etc from the viewpoint of someone trying to use OpenVix DVB-T scanning facilities for the first time, to help me write the user guide. In particular I am trying to identify the situations where a newbie may not find the required action intuitive.

In this case I can see no situation in which someone would wish to perform ABM scans against both the Frequency Finder results and a transmitter selected via the Freeview(UK) part of the menu. It would seem that if one did so the results could be unfortunate. Do you agree?

Viewed from the newbie's perspective he knows he wants a UK Freeview scan so it would seem to me that it would not be surprising if he left the Freeview (UK) option selected after selecting the Frequency Finder results. There seem to be at least three ways out of this situation as follows:

(1) Automatically deselect and inhibit the Freeview (UK) selection when the Frequency Finder results are selected. Unfortunately creating a patch in a reasonable timescale is outside my skills-set, particularly if I am to produce the user guide.

(2) Ignore the Freeview (UK) selection when the Frequency Finder results are selected. Unfortunately creating a patch in a reasonable timescale is outside my skills-set, particularly if I am to produce the user guide.

(3) Include instructions in the user guide that when selecting the Frequency Finder results, Freeview(UK) should be deselected .

I would like to emphasise that my primary aim is not to make a judgement as to which is best, but rather to make sure I understand the potential problem and the current solution so that any necessary instructions can be included in the guide. In this case my previous post was merely looking for confirmation that you agree that 3 should be adopted.

EMJB

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    3 is the only practical way forward in my opinion. There may be cases where a user wishes to select more than one terrestrial provider. e.g. someone on the border of NI and RoI.

Please read https://github.com/oe-alliance/AutoB....txt#L667-L689
    Last edited by Huevos; 13-08-18 at 15:06.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    3 is the only practical way forward in my opinion. There may be cases where a user wishes to select more than one terrestrial provider. e.g. someone on the border of NI and RoI.
    Thanks for that - I was thinking the Frequency Finder results would always refer to Freeview, but in your example they would refer Saorview if those signals are stronger than the Freeview ones - is that correct?

If so, presumably the user needs to recognise which source Frequency Finder has found from the allocated name, and then select either Freeview (UK) or Saorview below to scan one transmitter from each - another thing that needs explanation in a user guide.

Thanks - are there any other such references I may have missed?

EMJB

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    You are confusing two different issues.

1) There are legitimate reasons for more than one terrestrial provider being selectable.

2) There is logic in the code so only UK muxes are found by "DVB-T frequency finder" but that logic is currently not enabled. So if it is found to be necessary at some point in the future it can be enabled. In my opinion the only time when this could be a problem is for people whose strongest DVB-T mux is from RoI.

https://github.com/oe-alliance/AutoB...er.py#L99-L109
    Last edited by Huevos; 13-08-18 at 16:49.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    If you are using ABM DVB-T frequency finder, it is because the official UK one is inadequate. Why would you then enable the official UK provider for ABM to operate on?

IMO, forget ABM plugin guide until you have done your guide for Terrestrial Scan plugin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Huevos (13-08-18)