Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Satellite signal on New TV

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    Long time SWL and scanner fan Nowadays, feeder of ADSB data to t'internet.
    LOL. I've got a G3... not used in nearly 40 years.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Yep, I've got shelves with gear I haven't used in years! It's too easy to occasionally dip into web-based SDR tuners, now that my local listening environment (in the middle of a housing estate) has become an RF noise-fest.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Its all changed since Heuvos was a boy - bloody zello operators wouldn't know how to use a callsign never mind tell a dit from a dah.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Its all changed since Heuvos was a boy - bloody zello operators wouldn't know how to use a callsign never mind tell a dit from a dah.
    - .... . ... . / -.. .- -.-- ... / .- .-.. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / -. . . -.. / .. ... / .- / - . -..- - / -- . ... ... .- --. . / .- -. -.. / .- / - . -..- - / - --- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-.

Code:
    https://morsecode.world/international/translator.html
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    - .... . ... . / -.. .- -.-- ... / .- .-.. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / -. . . -.. / .. ... / .- / - . -..- - / -- . ... ... .- --. . / .- -. -.. / .- / - . -..- - / - --- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-.

Code:
    https://morsecode.world/international/translator.html
    That's actually cruel trying to read that. Even my kids look at me saying who needs radios, we've got internet now but little do they know
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Come the apocalypse, the rest of the world will be glad for hams
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

ronand (21-01-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Bacon 50% off Joe 90

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (21-01-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    If its 40 years old it's probably not even a 100% screened cable and it has possibly degraded a lot. It may also explain why the original F plug fell off. Ideally digital from either an aerial or satellite dish requires a better quality cable with 100% screening. A lack of proper screening in a down-lead can result in localised electrical interference getting into the cable and causing picture breakup.

The cable you have is very likely to be the type "D" mentioned in the following article. Note the article is probably 20+ years old and so prices are well out of date.
    Code:
    https://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml
    A satellite installer is more likely to install a twin WF65 cable these days
    Code:
    https://www.webro.com/tv-satellite/wf65-twin/
    probably the WF65 twin (al screen) rather than the more expensive Cu (copper) screen variant. While this does work for the majority of satellite installations if you have a marginal signal from your aerial it will be unsuitable for the aerial down-lead as it has too much attenuation and much more than the thicker CT100, WF100, RG6 type cable.
    Yes I think it's the fourth one. It is definitely a brown cable anyway and probably long past its replacement date.

I'll see if they can replace with better cable.

Title
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, my Dad insisted that the dish be installed on the chimney to keep it more out of sight. From the ground I can see the dish but not the LNB.
    I'd guess it is already a Quad as there are two feeds to one room and one dubious feed to another room.
    Ideally I would have two in each, more for redundancy than recording.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    LOL, do people there really install dishes on chimneys?
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    I had installer out last year because trees in the next garden was interfering with the signal. He put the dish on my chimney.

No chance of me trying to re align it if I have issues in the future

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Wow i had brown cable and was thick with copper braiding around it and was tv coaxial.

How old might be the lnb i wonder if cable is that old it might be seized onto lnb.

Title
    Thanks
    I don't think the LNB is that old.
    In the 70/s/80s, it was common in Dublin to have massive Aerials on the roof to pick up the UK terrestrial channels.
    I'd say the cables were installed as part of that aerial installation around 1981.

Cablelink (which became NTL then UPC then Virgin) then took over in the estate with the offering of many more channels.
    Most of the aerials were taken down at that stage (mainly as they were a bit ugly).

I'd think they only moved to FTA satellite around 12 years ago at which point the sat/lnb would have been installed.
    I am guessing the Cablelink installer did the bare minimum with cabling to the attic and then connected to the existing cabling from there.
    The Sat installer did the same.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The life of lnbs is usually 10 years and yes gone through those 3 companies over the decades.

We did have a massive aerial and never thought about the UK channels we received.

I might be inclined to replace all cabling rather than having joins in different types of very different cables.

See what others say as thinking lifetime of cable and how newer cable is.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that comment @Huevos!

Dishes are quite small - Sky zone 2 and chimneys are fairly substantial. In housing estates, depending on how houses are oriented, it may be the only place to permit signal reception. Some local bye-laws won't permit installation of dishes on front curtilage of premises, so no dishes on poles allowed to permit view over the roof. In more recent times, though, fewer installers will even consider going on the roof due to H&S rules and insurance issues.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast