Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Some issues with recording and timeshift

Title
    Thanks

Some issues with recording and timeshift

Hey all,

My Amiko Viper Twin E2 and USB HDD arrived yesterday from World of Satellite. I'm really impressed by the service (it shipped two days early).

I've managed to get the box setup for Sky FTA, setup the EPG etc and all's good but I'm having some teething problems with timeshift and recording.

• Timeshift. When pressing pause, sometimes I'm greeted with a black screen. Hitting stop a bunch of times seems to bring me back to the program again after a minute or so. I did manage to get timeshift to work as expected once, but other than that it doesn't seem to work reliably and results in a black screen when pressing pause.
    • Recording. I set a program to record and then hit the 'EMC' button on the remote to bring up the file menu and start playing the recording (as the recording was in progress if that makes sense). This resulted in a black screen with the 'processing' or 'waiting' indicator in the top right corner of the screen. I was only able to recover the box by issuing 'shutdown -r now' via SSH.

I'm wondering if this is a hard disk drive speed / access / config issue. My settings are...

HDD standby: 5 minutes

Recording and playback settings:

recording.jpg

Timeshift settings:

timeshift.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    Weirdly, from the remote, selecting <help> then <Pause playback>, pauses playback as expected. Then selecting <help> then <Pause/Continue playback> resumes the timeshifted recording. Actually pressing the pause or play buttons on the remote does not work properly however.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    What is the harddrive?
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    What is the harddrive?
    Just the generic USB hard disk drive provided by World of Satellite.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leftcase View Post
    Just the generic USB hard disk drive provided by World of Satellite.

Often problems with external USB HDD are solved with the use of an external power supply to the disk. The USB port may not be able to supply the instantaneous power to quickly start up the hard disk from non-spinning, albeit as you have timeshift permanently enabled the disk should still be spinning when you press pause.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Often problems with external USB HDD are solved with the use of an external power supply to the disk. The USB port may not be able to supply the instantaneous power to quickly start up the hard disk from non-spinning, albeit as you have timeshift permanently enabled the disk should still be spinning when you press pause.
    Just before I get myself on Amazon and buy something I may not need. Because I bought this as a bundle from World of Satellite, wouldn't WoS already have considered and tested this, and included a HDD power supply as part of the bundle if it was needed?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Just before I get myself on Amazon and buy something I may not need. Because I bought this as a bundle from World of Satellite, wouldn't WoS already have considered and tested this, and included a HDD power supply as part of the bundle if it was needed?

No. Some people don’t use anything directly(maybe a NAS), others use usb sticks, some people attach a hdd via usb ….. but should be powered.
    Afraid thats a user choice
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    No. Some people don’t use anything directly(maybe a NAS), others use usb sticks, some people attach a hdd via usb ….. but should be powered.
    Afraid thats a user choice
    No worries. I realised earlier that WoS have direct support for customers. I dropped a ticket to support and was advised that they don't think there should be a problem with the HDD or config as is, but advised that this box has a poor spec so there may be issues with it recording more than one channel, or timeshifting when recording (although as it is, it's not even doing timeshift alone). Support advised I try reflash it, or potentially buy a new, better box.

To be honest I'd rather not just waste the £50 I spent on this box, so I'll see if trying a different image yields any benefit.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    I'll see if trying a different image yields any benefit.
    It won't because all images use the same drivers, as these come from the manufacturer. And OpenViX is perfectly capable of recording multiple channels and timeshifting.

Switching to another images just means losing the best user interface in enigma, and having much less support in English.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    It won't because all images use the same drivers, as these come from the manufacturer. And OpenViX is perfectly capable of recording multiple channels and timeshifting.

Switching to another images just means losing the best user interface in enigma, and having much less support in English.
    Before reading this comment I had already reflashed with OpenATV 7.0.20220528 to see if anything improved. At the moment recording and timeshift seem to be working (could be a co-incidence I guess), but I'll update the thread if I run into any further trouble. The image I'm running has kernel / drivers 4.4.35 / 20210607. Perhaps somebody running a Viper Twin could double check the OpenVix image is using the same?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Before reading this comment I had already reflashed with OpenATV 7.0.20220528 to see if anything improved. At the moment recording and timeshift seem to be working (could be a co-incidence I guess), but I'll update the thread if I run into any further trouble. The image I'm running has kernel / drivers 4.4.35 / 20210607. Perhaps somebody running a Viper Twin could double check the OpenVix image is using the same?
    It will be the same because OpenATV and OpenViX are built from the same OE core.

https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-al.../recipes-linux

littlejim
    When trying to work out what's happening, remember a USB powered mechanical hard drive can take a surprisingly long time to spin up, stabilize and ready itself if it had previously spun down after a period of inactivity.
    10 or 20 seconds isn't unheard of.