Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Unicable Receivers

Title
    Thanks

Looking for Unicable Receivers

Hi

I am a complete beginner in this area so please bear that in mind when reviewing my questions!

I am trying to cable a renovated property and want to keep cabling (through 600mm walls!) to a minimum. I am an ex Sky and now Freesat user. I currently have an Inverto unicable LNB with two legacy outputs and 4 unicable channels. The unicable supplies my VBox Communications TV distribution unit and the two legacy outputs currently go to my Humax 1100S.

Recently bought a Hisense TV and noticed it was unicable compatible so dropped one of the channels off the VBox and applied it to the TV. It works fine.

So for the new house I thought I would upgrade to a (let's say) 16 channel unicable LNB and wire a single cable to all rooms splitting off where needed. The problems started when I tried to connect the Humax over unicable. It does not work (or is there a way to get it to work?). Humax were not interested in helping as they no longer supply to Freesat but they did say to talk to them. Freesat tried to tell me that their latest 4K receiver would work but when I asked how I allocated the channels they looked deeper and came back to say that it only works with Wideband LNB (their focus is to get Sky users to switch over). So consequently they could not help either.

So I talked to some engineers most of whom told me I had to install co-ax in vast quantities to every room that I wanted TV in. 4 cables from the dish to the distributing multi switch (5 if I wanted and aerial as well) and 3 cables to each room to allow for two inputs and one output. And I thought unicable was developed to overcome all of this. They also laughed when I asked what receiver I should buy to work with my unable.

So, my questions:

1. Can I get unicable to work with and record from the Humax 1100S or the new Freesat 4K receiver and if so how?
    2. Are there unicable compatible receivers available on the market that I can use?
    3. If answer 2 is yes, how complex is it to limit it to the one satellite and the UK listing of freest channels?
    4. What does all this mean to the EPG and recording abilities? Can I get a 7 day EPG built in and multiple concurrent recording or did I just dream it?
    5. Are there other solutions I should be looking at that give a relatively easy to use system (thinking here of others that will use it)?

I am not afraid of a bit of technology. I have set up my VBox that works well for distributing TV throughout the house on the IOS app or Kodi and even have a Raspberry Pi dedicated to one of the TVs. I have tried to read up and understand OpenVix to see if that helps but confess, it was like running through a wet and muddy field with full battle kit on.

Can someone help me? Happy to read up anything that explains what to do but I would prefer a quick, cheap and easy solution if there is one.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

Title
    Thanks
    OK the easiest way would be a Enigma2 receiver with FBC tuners and a Unicable II LNB this will give you 8 tuners though 1 coax, you can the distribute this via Kodi, like you do with your VBox just depends if you need the VBox too?

If you need to use the VBox too then you can run a cable to each room splitting where its easiest and have an enigma2 receiver in each room. I think all support Unicable II, but check before you buy

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    600mm? Welcome to my world (Bavaria) - its called a good German power drill and long drill bit!
    As per JonMM, the question is whether you need the VBox and how technical you want to get.
    So answers 2-> 5 Yes for E2 boxes
    Q2, There are FBC tuner boxes available (Vu+, GigaBlue) but you can set up a normal receiver with a Unicable connection using one of the frequencies used by the LNB.
    Q.3 Easy
    Q.4 As said. Yes
    Q5, you could replace the VBox with a FBC tuner receiver and then use client/server setup by LAN or WiFi with cheap E2 receivers in other rooms(they will run like a dedicated setup with their own access via the server box)

Most of the newer E2 receivers also now support Kodi, have access to plugins like Plex amongst others.

……But it depends if you are willing to spend some time getting into this world. Its not something you just power on(like the VBox?) but gives you real control over what you do
    Last edited by twol; 03-11-21 at 17:44.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you both for a quick response.

The problem I have been facing is determining if the machine is unicable II compatible. It does not appear to be in the specification listings (unless it is listed as something else or inferred by a certain type of tuner, like FBC?).

I have looked at Enigma 2 units but was not sure if they would be suitable. Are you saying that all Enigma 2 with FBC tuners will be compatible?

Are there any particular units you would recomend?

Geoff

Title
    Thanks
    OK on Kodi, where you set up to watch TV through VBox instead of selecting VBox you can select Enigma2 Client. The main receiver can have 8-10 tuners, then you can share those to your kodi boxes, the issue is that Kodi can only have 1 PVR client so if you need the VBox too (is it pointing at a different satellite?). You will also be able to setup and watch recordings.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffatMM View Post

The problem I have been facing is determining if the machine is unicable II compatible. It does not appear to be in the specification listings (unless it is listed as something else or inferred by a certain type of tuner, like FBC?).

I have looked at Enigma 2 units but was not sure if they would be suitable. Are you saying that all Enigma 2 with FBC tuners will be compatible?

Geoff
    Perhaps see....

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...using-Unicable

You may be confusing the use of unicable LNBs and the need for FBC tuner capability.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (03-11-21)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts

Geoff
    As per Adm, you do not need a FBC tuner receiver to use a Unicable LNB, you just use one of the assigned frequencies.
    e.g.
    <manufacturer name="Opticum">
    <product name="Unicable LNB" scrs="1210,1420,1680,2040,970,1030,1090,1150"/>
    <product name="SCR 16UB Pro" scrs="1210,1420,1680,2040,985,1050,1115,1275,1340, 1485,1550,1615,1745,1810,1875,1940"/>
    Above are 2 different LNB's from Opticum and the scrs are the frequencies you access the LNB to pick up a satellite channel
    On a non FBC box the sat inputs are uniquely assigned to one of these frequencies, on a FBC tuner you can assign upto 8 of these frequencies(scrs) giving you greater ability to watch and record at the same time
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    All Enigma2 receivers will work with Unicable devices. The terminology may be called different things as most producers will refer to the standards instead of names.
    EN50494 = Unicable 1
    EN50607 = Unicable 2/Jess.

On most Unicable 2 LNB/switches, the first 4 SCRs are usually Unicable 1 compliant. This is so that you can use them with reception devices that only support Unicable 1 but not Unicable 2. I.e they only can communicate on a narrow set of frequencies. Perhaps try changing the SCRs you are using on the Humax? ( you must ensure that no other devices are using those SCRs.

3. On an Enigma2 receiver, create your bouquets using AutoBouquetsMaker plugin. Use the Freesat provider and the bouquets/categories/groups of channels will be like Freesat.

Just to confuse things more, you may want to use a unicable 2 switch with quattro LNB instead of a unicable LNB. Most switches will allow you to use more legacy outputs if you need them.
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 03-11-21 at 19:22. Reason: Unicable1/2 frequencies

Title
    Thanks
    Also,

I am not tied to VBox but it does work. If I can get the Receiver (Enigma 2) to work with unicable then the VBox will also work and continue to distribute the signal (4 channels) over the network. Their failing is in providing good customer service and not having a real recording and 7 day EPG solution. Does Enigma 2? Does it interact with the schedule so if there are delays or moves to another channel the recording system follows? Is there a series recording system that also works out schedule changes to make sure the programme is properly recorded?

If I understand you correctly, Enigma 2 can distribute TV signal over the internal network to Kodi supported appliances. Is there also an app for IOS that would enable viewing?

Geoff

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMMM View Post
    OK on Kodi, where you set up to watch TV through VBox instead of selecting VBox you can select Enigma2 Client. The main receiver can have 8-10 tuners, then you can share those to your kodi boxes, the issue is that Kodi can only have 1 PVR client so if you need the VBox too (is it pointing at a different satellite?). You will also be able to setup and watch recordings.
    I only want one PVR client, this is just my home system, nothing too large or fancy. Thanks, I have located the Enigma 2 PVR client.

I have asked about the recording ability in other reply.

Geoff

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    600mm? Welcome to my world (Bavaria) - its called a good German power drill and long drill bit!
    As per JonMM, the question is whether you need the VBox and how technical you want to get.
    So answers 2-> 5 Yes for E2 boxes
    Q2, There are FBC tuner boxes available (Vu+, GigaBlue) but you can set up a normal receiver with a Unicable connection using one of the frequencies used by the LNB.
    Q.3 Easy
    Q.4 As said. Yes
    Q5, you could replace the VBox with a FBC tuner receiver and then use client/server setup by LAN or WiFi with cheap E2 receivers in other rooms(they will run like a dedicated setup with their own access via the server box)

Most of the newer E2 receivers also now support Kodi, have access to plugins like Plex amongst others.

……But it depends if you are willing to spend some time getting into this world. Its not something you just power on(like the VBox?) but gives you real control over what you do
    First, I have a Bosch and several 1m drill bits! It is just that the layout restricts where I can go through and most of that wall has been rebuilt with reinforcing to keep the house up hence my reluctance to drill excessively.

Second, I am happy to spend time to learn and get the system right as it is important.

Geoff

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Perhaps see....

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...using-Unicable

You may be confusing the use of unicable LNBs and the need for FBC tuner capability.
    Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I am used to using unicable (have done for last four years) my issue with receivers is that the "Standard" receivers aimed at the public like Humax do not have a channel selector built in so cannot recognise a unicable signal. That is where I came in.

Geoff

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    As per Adm, you do not need a FBC tuner receiver to use a Unicable LNB, you just use one of the assigned frequencies.
    e.g.
    <manufacturer name="Opticum">
    <product name="Unicable LNB" scrs="1210,1420,1680,2040,970,1030,1090,1150"/>
    <product name="SCR 16UB Pro" scrs="1210,1420,1680,2040,985,1050,1115,1275,1340, 1485,1550,1615,1745,1810,1875,1940"/>
    Above are 2 different LNB's from Opticum and the scrs are the frequencies you access the LNB to pick up a satellite channel
    On a non FBC box the sat inputs are uniquely assigned to one of these frequencies, on a FBC tuner you can assign upto 8 of these frequencies(scrs) giving you greater ability to watch and record at the same time
    I assume this is from a config file in linux? Remember I have a bog standard Humax. No frequency control. no access to CLI. (No-one in their CS team even understood my questions!).

Geoff

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    All Enigma2 receivers will work with Unicable devices. The terminology may be called different things as most producers will refer to the standards instead of names.
    EN50494 = Unicable 1
    EN50607 = Unicable 2/Jess.

On most Unicable 2 LNB/switches, the first 4 SCRs are usually Unicable 1 compliant. This is so that you can use them with reception devices that only support Unicable 1 but not Unicable 2. I.e they only can communicate on a narrow set of frequencies. Perhaps try changing the SCRs you are using on the Humax? ( you must ensure that no other devices are using those SCRs.

3. On an Enigma2 receiver, create your bouquets using AutoBouquetsMaker plugin. Use the Freesat provider and the bouquets/categories/groups of channels will be like Freesat.

Just to confuse things more, you may want to use a unicable 2 switch with quattro LNB instead of a unicable LNB. Most switches will allow you to use more legacy outputs if you need them.
    Thanks Abu,

I cannot find any way to change the screen on a humax box which is why I am asking for support here. I do not think it is possible but if you know a way please tell me.

The rest pf your information is very helpful thank you.

Title
    Thanks
    Also,

I am not tied to VBox but it does work. If I can get the Receiver (Enigma 2) to work with unicable then the VBox will also work and continue to distribute the signal (4 channels) over the network. Their failing is in providing good customer service and not having a real recording and 7 day EPG solution. Does Enigma 2? Does it interact with the schedule so if there are delays or moves to another channel the recording system follows? Is there a series recording system that also works out schedule changes to make sure the programme is properly recorded?

If I understand you correctly, Enigma 2 can distribute TV signal over the internal network to Kodi supported appliances. Is there also an app for IOS that would enable viewing?

Geoff
    Think this would do most if not all you want

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...blue-uhd-ue-4k

Standardly from your unicable lnb it will give you 8 tuners but this is increased in that if you want to watch / record another channel on the same transponder it does not use another tuner (its pretty difficult to use all 8). & day EPG is not an issue, you also get all the free to air channels from sky so channel 4 HD etc. Depends which EPG system you use but mine just downloads 1 per day so if things change recordings don't season passes / serial links are all there
    Last edited by JonMMM; 03-11-21 at 20:30. Reason: Missed link

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast