Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Testers required for OpenViX Python 3 images

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I really must I will try and remember to go to 'Reset to factory settings' when I want to restore my settings.
Just seems dumb that I'm required to do that.
I'm already telling my friends I wouldn't really recommend OpenViX to non technical types.
Now I have to tell them that even if you're good with tech you have to watch out for things that just are not what they're labelled as..

Really?

All you need to do is delete your power timers using the gui before restoring settings, hardy rocket science.

Everyone else seems to cope.
 
Really?

All you need to do is delete your power timers using the gui before restoring settings, hardy rocket science.

Everyone else seems to cope.

They all magically somehow know to do this and don't let their underlying assumption that the box was designed logically cause them to forget?

How do I get back all that time I've wasted looking for why my power timers have multiplied up.
Then the last straw recently when I found I had literally more than a hundred power timers and just had to report it even though I still had no idea where they were coming from.

You don't make a function called settings backup and a function called settings restore if that's not what they do. It's just daft.
 
You don't make a function called settings backup and a function called settings restore if that's not what they do. It's just daft.

If I'd had to do a settings restore from one taken a couple of months ago, I'd be saying "what a useful feature, I haven't lost any of my timers". :)
 
The only time I do a restore is if I have just flashed a "standard" downloaded image.
Any other flash (of my own backup) wouldn't need a restore.

Still ended up with duplicated Power Timers recently, and I did have to do a flash+restore after something (I forget what) went wrong with one dev release.

So how could something be hanging around in the memory if it was a virgin install?
 
If I'd had to do a settings restore from one taken a couple of months ago, I'd be saying "what a useful feature, I haven't lost any of my timers". :)

I'm saying, wow, you left your setting messed up for a couple of months! Why? :)
 
Continuing this thread: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?64470-FAV-screen-sorting-broken which somehow has been closed.
Here is debug log: View attachment Enigma2_debug_2021-07-12_16-19-17.zip (at least I hope it's the right one).
Bouquet's were set up as in image in that thread.
As soon as I came out of move mode the bouquet order was changed.
It would help me to not accidentally do this if it was not possible to accidentally leave yourself in move mode after moving channels around within a bouquet.
 
Last edited:
Huevos did ask for version number etc. but I didn't answer because I assumed he'd soon realise how dumb he was to ask that in a section of the forum where I am required to fill that in before posting, which I had done.
Brian, there really is no need for comments like that or tantrums.

You asked to be part of this process and I kindly built an image especially for you on my personal build machine. Now you are being argumentative and insulting.

This thread is about teamwork, not finding fault with others.

Please treat others as you would like to be treated yourself, and keep it cordial.
 
Brian, there really is no need for comments like that or tantrums.

You asked to be part of this process and I kindly built an image especially for you on my personal build machine. Now you are being argumentative and insulting.

This thread is about teamwork, not finding fault with others.

Please treat others as you would like to be treated yourself, and keep it cordial.

My recollectionj is that I took some time deciding whether I wanted to help (because I only have the one box and I need it to be working all the time) and only said I would after you'd already said you were going to host a zgemmah7 image.
 
Really?

All you need to do is delete your power timers using the gui before restoring settings, hardy rocket science.

Everyone else seems to cope.
So why doesn't the restore function do that for you automatically (or at least optionally)?
 
My recollectionj is that I took some time deciding whether I wanted to help (because I only have the one box and I need it to be working all the time) and only said I would after you'd already said you were going to host a zgemmah7 image.

No Brian, you asked for it.
"I can test on my Zgemma H7S".

You are the only person testing on that machine. It was built especially for you.

If it has all become too much for you please let us know and I will remove it from the build.
 
I've no idea, the problem was reported years ago.

Not sure if there is already a warning given (just once) when an overlap power timer is detected....

Code:
		# put out a message when at least one timer overlaps
		checkit = True
		for timer in root.findall("timer"):
			newTimer = createTimer(timer)
			if (self.record(newTimer, True, dosave=False) is not None) and (checkit == True):
				from Tools.Notifications import AddPopup
				from Screens.MessageBox import MessageBox
				AddPopup(_("Timer overlap in pm_timers.xml detected!\nPlease recheck it!"), type=MessageBox.TYPE_ERROR, timeout=0, id="TimerLoadFailed")
				[COLOR="#FF0000"]checkit = False # at moment it is enough when the message is displayed one time[/COLOR]

Code:
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/blob/master/lib/python/PowerTimer.py#L499
 
So why doesn't the restore function do that for you automatically (or at least optionally)?

@Birdman - great opportunity for you to add timer options to the restore function, although system reset allows you to delete all timers, so restore should restore what has been backed up
 
I would imagine a restore should overwrite existing settings rather than merge them. I was of the belief that restoring a backup would put the system in the state when the backup was made (ie if you have made a mess of your system then a restore should get it back the way it was). If it is merging the settings then its not very useful.
 
I would imagine a restore should overwrite existing settings rather than merge them. I was of the belief that restoring a backup would put the system in the state when the backup was made (ie if you have made a mess of your system then a restore should get it back the way it was). If it is merging the settings then its not very useful.

It depends how old your backup is, I'd have thought retaining existing (record) timers is quite useful, power timers are a different matter (most of the time).
 
So for settings the restore does a tar -xzvf …….so unzips and restores the backed up files

Now for a running system this may cause complications with config files, which is why its better (in my view) to do a system reset and restore settings
 
No Brian, you asked for it.
"I can test on my Zgemma H7S".

You are the only person testing on that machine. It was built especially for you.

If it has all become too much for you please let us know and I will remove it from the build.

But earlier on:

Ok, I'll host vuultimo4k osmio4kplus vuuno4k sf8008 sf8008m zgemmah7 mutant51 vusolo2 osmega.

And maybe Tony can host ax61 zgemmah9series gbue4k/quad4k, possibly others to be decided.

What does host mean in this context?
 
Last edited:
But earlier on:



What does host mean in this context?
Because the python3 images are currently not Release images and are built by Huevos and myself, with the feeds(which take a significant amount of disk storage) on our own servers (hence host)
 
So for settings the restore does a tar -xzvf …….so unzips and restores the backed up files

Now for a running system this may cause complications with config files, which is why its better (in my view) to do a system reset and restore settings

As far as I can tell, it restores files into root first, and then processes them from there ....

tar -xzvf /media/hdd/backup/vix-Py3-5.5.013.016-20210711-1019.tar.gz -C /
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top