Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Record to usb

Title
    Thanks

Record to usb

Hi,
    Re: VU+ Duo 4K se, Vix 5.4.12, SanDisk Extreme Pro 250 Gb usb stick, HDD Seagate 1 Gb (fitted by World of Satellite – no problems).

I am having a problem mounting a usb stick, and have so far used the following method:
    Switch off box at rear, insert usb stick into rear slot using 0.5 metre usb extension lead, switch box back on.
    Go to Setup/Storage/Initialize Devices. Select USB Extreme Pro/OK/Green (Initialise)
    When finished, Setup/Vix/Mount Manager. Select usb/Green (Setup Mounts). Select usb/OK. Select 'Media/usb'/OK/Green (save). Restart box.
    Go to Favourites (Grid View) select programme/Green (add timer) and the only location is /media/hdd/movie, (L and R has no effect). Tried mounting to sdb with same result. If I click Blue (Mount) I get message …....Error code 65280 or …..Error code 256 (I have tried several times). There is a constant blue light on usb stick.
    I have checked the usb stick on my mac with Paragon extFS which shows just one folder named 'Lost and found' on the stick which is named '/volumes/untitled'. Online forums state: 'By a software FTP or by telnet, create a folder named movie on your usb stick: /media/usb/movie'. Having not the slightest idea what telnet or FTP is please could someone take me step by step if this operation is necessary? Can I add a folder to the stick using Paragon extFS, and if so what do I call it?
    Have tried Blackhole 3.1.0, but it changed 'Media/usb to 'Media/hdd', although it did record to the stick.
    Please could you reply without highly technical names or abbreviations.
    Many thanks,
    Mike.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    So this is from memory !
    I am assuming that the seagate is media/hdd. Following will probably include a few reboots.
    Setup usb mount as media/hdd2
    I think you then have the red button provide „use as HDD“ option
    Select and then you should be able to save to the usb for recordings

As said this is from memory so you may have to play around a bit!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Twol.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Followed your directions but still not working. Tried every option (except hdd) available wjth the same result. Red button is usually for exit or cancel, and was not useful.
    If I remove then replace usb stick from box (powering off each time), USB shows on Mount Manager as 'mount: none Type: unavailable'. I then have to re-initialise the stick and start again.
    Again I have checked the usb stick on my mac with Paragon extFS which still shows just one folder named 'Lost and found' (which is empty) on the stick which is named '/volumes/untitled'. This loads itself during initialisation on the STB, although when I finished initialise and mount I expected to see a folder 'media' or 'usb' or 'movie' or something similar after mounting, but there was just 'Lost and Found'.

Title
    Thanks
    Addendum to my last reply.

After I mounted usb stick to 'hdd2' I went to record a programme and had a choice of two locations: 'sda1' (default) or 'hdd'. This choice was only available the first time I attempted to record, after that it was 'hdd' only.

After selecting record to hdd I got message 'error while writing disk. Disk full?' It then transpired that the HDD had re-mounted itself as '/media/sda1'. Fortunately I was able to remount HDD with no problem back to '/media/hdd/movie'

I have had an identical result with another (8Gb) usb stick.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Mike,

I don't know if your USB-sticks / HDD were formatted as ext.3 or ext.4 devices, as then you should be able to mount them without too much trouble.
    However, if you, like me, have an NTFS / Windows formatted device, you need to install from the Plug-ins the <ntfs-3g> driver first.
    Possibly, as I did it a long time ago, you need to restart after the install, but then you should have access.

I hope this can get your devices to work as well,
    Hans
    Current: Vu+ Ultimo 4K - 1Tb HDD, 8Tb USB, 8Tb USB, 6Tb USB (all powered)
    ___________Astra 19.2 and 28.2 East, both with Unicable-II LNB

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Hans and thanks for your reply.
    Openvix Image 5.4.012.
    Both hdd and usb are formatted .ext4 and the box restarts itself after mounting.
    After I initialise the stick (and before mounting) it shows on Mount Manager as- Mount: media/usb, Device: /dev/sdb1 Type: ext4 R/W. HDD is- Mount: /media/hdd/, Device: dev/sda1, Type: ext4 R/W. On Mount Manager, the blue button (mount) seems to do nothing apart from giving me an error code ending 256 or 65280.
    It seems to me that there should be one or more folders on the stick, but there is only 'Lost and Found'. If I format the stick .ext4 using Paragon extFS the 'Lost and Found' folder appears, so I assume it is put there by Sandisk.
    My theory (and I don't know what I am doing) is that If someone could tell me what folders (with their exact names) should be on the stick (and which folders are within other folders), I could setup new folders onto the stick with Paragon extFS (and delete Lost and Found?) after formatting the stick .ext4, then perhaps we shall be in business.

Title
    Thanks
    I am assuming that you want to record to the usb only and not the HDD.

So there is an error in MountManager, so if you are comfortable with doing the following you can try the fix, otherwise wait for it to be in a later release.
    Open a telnet Putty session to the receiver:
    login root and your receivers password using current IP address.
    Enter init 4 (space between t & 4)

Then switch to filezilla and copy the attachment to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/ViX

Back in putty, enter init 6 (space between t & 6)

box will reboot.

In MountManager, when you move the cursor to select the usb device, you will now see (far left) the red button (use as HDD)
    Select and depress - reboot! The usb should then be allocated as HDD for recording
    In MountManager, I would then use the Green button (setup mounts) to change your internal hard disk from HDD to sda - you will be asked to reboot - repond Yes.

You should then have the usb device as HDD.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

Title
    Thanks
    Openvix 5.4.12.
    Hi twol and thanks for speedy reply.
    Under the circumstances I will wait for next release.
    I have another couple of problems with my set up, and apologise if this is the wrong place to raise them.
    1. When I set Power Timer (using repeat daily), then on the second and subsequent days the box usually resets the 'start time' to a random time setting all by itself.
    2. Is it possible to increase the font size of the text in the top LH window of EPG Grid (programme details and list of actors)? The text never fills more than half the window so there is room for a font twice the size of that used.
    I work on the principle that a small font can only be read by someone with near perfect eyesight, a large font can be read by everyone who can read.
    Thanks and regards,
    Mike.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mec View Post
    Openvix 5.4.12.
    Hi twol and thanks for speedy reply.
    Under the circumstances I will wait for next release.
    I have another couple of problems with my set up, and apologise if this is the wrong place to raise them.
    1. When I set Power Timer (using repeat daily), then on the second and subsequent days the box usually resets the 'start time' to a random time setting all by itself.
    2. Is it possible to increase the font size of the text in the top LH window of EPG Grid (programme details and list of actors)? The text never fills more than half the window so there is room for a font twice the size of that used.
    I work on the principle that a small font can only be read by someone with near perfect eyesight, a large font can be read by everyone who can read.
    Thanks and regards,
    Mike.
    I would raise under a new post that way you will get a quicker answer.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners: