Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeview Tuner doesn't show Freeview channels

Title
    Thanks

Question Freeview Tuner doesn't show Freeview channels

My box has 2 satellite tuners and 1 freeview tuner. I assume all tuners can be used at once?

The satellite tuners work fine but the freeview tuner doeesn't work. I've added it as:
    • Tuner C: DVB-T2.
    • United Kingdom
    • All regions, United Kingdom, (Europe DVB-T/T2)

Then I did an Automatic scan on Tuner C.

On my VU+ Duo 2 box I would exit all menus then press the Down arrow on my remote. I would got to Providers > Unknown. That was where the freeview channels would appear on that box when I used a USB freeview tuner. However on my Tiviar Alpha+ box that has a physical freeview tuner as a part of the box, when I go to Unknown I can only see standard definition channels and none of them display a picture. When I try to display any of the channels and I press the OK button the channel info popup on the bottom of the screen says it's a HbbTV channel.

How do I get the freeview channels to appear and in HD?

How many channels can be recorded at once with a single freeview cable?

Can I use a splitter to get 2 freeview cables? I will plug the second cable into a USB tuner.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    >I assume all tuners can be used at once?
    Yes you can.

>The freeview tuner doesn't work
    But you say it finds channels later

>How do I get the freeview channels to appear and in HD?
    Tuner are for receiving signal. Creating bouquets is your job or you can use a plugin. Scanning the frequencies that contain HD services will obtain HD Services. Install the Terrestrial scan plugin and use/run it. There is no need to run it regularly, only when a retune is required.

>How many channels can be recorded at once with a single freeview cable?
    Depends on which frequency you are tuned to. They all vary. Check "Current transponder" for each one or check a website
    Code:
    https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/multiplexes

>Can I use a splitter to get 2 freeview cables? I will plug the second cable into a USB tuner.
    Yes you can split Terrestrial signal.

> I press the OK button the channel info popup on the bottom of the screen says it's a HbbTV channel.
    There are no BBC applications you can use on. Ignore it.

Title
    Thanks
    Maybe an idea to flash 5.3 039 instead of being on 5.2 022

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyFan View Post
    My box has 2 satellite tuners and 1 freeview tuner. I assume all tuners can be used at once?

The satellite tuners work fine but the freeview tuner doeesn't work. I've added it as:
    • Tuner C: DVB-T2.
    • United Kingdom
    • All regions, United Kingdom, (Europe DVB-T/T2)

Then I did an Automatic scan on Tuner C.

On my VU+ Duo 2 box I would exit all menus then press the Down arrow on my remote. I would got to Providers > Unknown. That was where the freeview channels would appear on that box when I used a USB freeview tuner. However on my Tiviar Alpha+ box that has a physical freeview tuner as a part of the box, when I go to Unknown I can only see standard definition channels and none of them display a picture. When I try to display any of the channels and I press the OK button the channel info popup on the bottom of the screen says it's a HbbTV channel.

How do I get the freeview channels to appear and in HD?

How many channels can be recorded at once with a single freeview cable?

Can I use a splitter to get 2 freeview cables? I will plug the second cable into a USB tuner.
    Try with ABM for Freeview for your local transmitter

menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> autobouquetmaker -> providers -> Freeview UK (region/transmitter etc.)
    then
    menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> autobouquetmaker -> start scan

You can use a splitter. Ideally one completely screened in a metal can as sold by the sponsor. They may/will come with F connectors but you can get F to coax (belling lee) adapters for around a quid that would fit on the end of a F type fly lead.

Example (male and female adaptors are available)
    Code:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-Type-Coaxial-Female-to-RF-TV-Aerial-Male-Adapter-Satellite-Coax-Connector-Sat/352612381282?epid=5030565518&hash=item521955f262:g:1MMAAOSw~~NcglLz

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Auline-Coax-Socket-Female-to-F-Connector-Adaptor-Convert-Aerial-Male-F-Plug/252446848657?hash=item3ac7013691:g:zXYAAOSwEK9Tualb
    One tuner is required for each Freeview MUX [Multiplex(er)] you are tuned into. Each MUX carries a number of TV channels/programs and you can record 8+ of these programs at the same time and/or 8+ programs on a combination of Freeview and Satellite. With one tuner you will only be able to watch or record the channels on that MUX but not from the possible 5 other MUXs on the transmitter mast. Two tuners will allow you to tune into two MUXs simultaneaously and watch/record any TV channels carried on those two MUXs.

The list of TV channels carried on each MUX (Multiplex) is shown at

Code:
    https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/multiplexes
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    You can use a splitter. Ideally one completely screened in a metal can
    Code:
    http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/Splitter/
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Code:
    http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/Splitter/
    It's disappointing that that page doesn't seem to particularly disapprove of the utterly hopeless one that's just two resistors compared with the last fully screened inductive one which is probably quite reasonable.
    It's also worth pointing out that if the signal is pretty weak you might be better off with a combined signal booster and splitter.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechieSnail View Post
    It's disappointing that that page doesn't seem to particularly disapprove of the utterly hopeless one that's just two resistors compared with the last fully screened inductive one which is probably quite reasonable.
    It's also worth pointing out that if the signal is pretty weak you might be better off with a combined signal booster and splitter.
    The point is unless you take the last two examples to destruction you will not know if they are inductive or resistive. The plastic case is usually moulded on and untill removed/destroyed it's practically impossible by inspection to tell if there is a full metal screen beneath.

It's possible that even the first example from a different manufacturer may be inferior, but unlikely.

It's much like using unscreened or fully screened wallplates

Code:
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wallplates.htm
    Note: Satcure no longer trade.

Avoid any potential problems with local electrical interference and go for the fully screened products in the first place.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    You might be able to make a good guess at them being hopeless using an ohm meter.
    If any combination isn't either near zero ohms or near completely open be suspicious.
    (Near zero probably being less than 1 or maybe 2 ohms and near open being greater than say 10k ohm)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechieSnail View Post
    You might be able to make a good guess at them being hopeless using an ohm meter.
    If any combination isn't either near zero ohms or near completely open be suspicious.
    (Near zero probably being less than 1 or maybe 2 ohms and near open being greater than say 10k ohm)
    Hmm, easy to do before purchase over the Net I'm sure the retailer would allow you to remove them from the sealed bubble pack and then accept back the reject(s)

Title
    Thanks
    I ran the "Terrestrial Scan" plugin and it found channels but I can't see the channels anywhere. Under Providers I see:

BSkyB
    Freesat
    SES
    SES Astra
    Unknown

I don't see the Freeview channels in any of those.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I ran the "Terrestrial Scan" plugin and it found channels but I can't see the channels anywhere. Under Providers I see:

BSkyB
    Freesat
    SES
    SES Astra
    Unknown

I don't see the Freeview channels in any of those.
    Is that the providers list in
    menu -> setup -> tuners and scanning -> autobouquetmaker -> providers

or is it somewhere else that you are looking? When in the web interface and the bouquets editor the "Unknown" contains the freeview channels.

In which country are you residing? If in the UK use AutobouquetMaker (as in post #4) to get the Freeview Bouquet and channels. However it may help if you were running OpenVix 5.3.39 rather than 5.2.022

Maybe also set menu -> setup -> EPG -> Grid EPG -> Show Boquets on launch = yes

Title
    Thanks
    When watching a channel if you exit out of everything then press the down arrow then press the button to view "Providers" is where I was looking. I'm in the UK - London. I'm not bothered about AutoBouquets Maker at the moment. I'm just trying to view the list of freeview channels.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    When watching a channel if you exit out of everything then press the down arrow then press the button to view "Providers" is where I was looking. I'm in the UK - London. I'm not bothered about AutoBouquets Maker at the moment. I'm just trying to view the list of freeview channels.
    The Freeview (Terestrial FTA) channels will be in "Unknown". If you have cofigured your box to show a transmitter or satellite icon then the contents of "unknown" will show a transmitter tower icon.

ABM will give you that list with a Freeview UK bouquet heading in around 30 seconds!
    Last edited by adm; 25-08-20 at 22:11.

Title
    Thanks
    Freeview services don't show under provider, same as Virgin. They always come up as unknown. So if you want to use Provider viewing mode, look in the unknown category.

In orbital mode, you can delect them under Terrestrial.

Or better still, use Bouquet mode and select them from the Terrestrial bouquet.

There is no need for you to use ABM.

Title
    Thanks
    As I said previously, when watching a channel if I exit out of everything then press the down arrow I see a screen that has this:
    Red button: All
    Green button: Satellites
    Yellow button: Providers
    Blue Button: Favourites

I pressed the yellow button to view "Providers". Then I select "Unknown". All the channels there are HbbTV. Is that the Providers menu you were referring to?

I don't know what you mean by this "In orbital mode, you can delect them under Terrestrial"
    Or this "Or better still, use Bouquet mode and select them from the Terrestrial bouquet."

If I press the blue Button to view Favourites there's a Terrestrial menu at the top. That just has HbbTV channels again. I can't see any Freeview bouquets in Favourites.

Could you please give me step by step instructions as to where to find the menu that has the Freeview channels in.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast