Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Using OpenVPN on Virgin Hub 3

dsayers

ViX Beta Tester
Joined
Mar 19, 2016
Messages
1,872
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Hi im not sure where the best place to post this.

Has anyone managed to setup OpenVPN on enigma2 on VM Hub 3 router?

I have tried several VPN,s and every time I start OpenVPN I loose internet connection on my Vu+ Uno 4k using Vix 5.1.002

Oddly I can setup VPN on laptop and phone just not enigma2.

So can anyone confirm they have setup OpenVPN with Virgn HUB 3? Thanks
 
Ok setting google dns on box solves it but whenever I restart box DNS changes back to default, Anyway around this?
 
No one knows or is it not possible to change dns on box?
 
No one knows or is it not possible to change dns on box?
...Google reckons you can't, also says "using different DNS settings on individual devices does work."
 
...Google reckons you can't, also says "using different DNS settings on individual devices does work."

I think ive sorted it I used the commands by Abu and used putty to talnet init 4 to put enigma2 to sleep then edited the resolv.conf file then used init 3 to restart enigma2, editing the file whilst enigma2 is running doesn't save the changes on restart.

So maybe something can be changed within the network menu to be able to save the changes on restart.
 
Bit confused - I was referring to changing dns's on the hub 3.
 
Bit confused - I was referring to changing dns's on the hub 3.

No I know you cant change DNS on VM Hub 3, so I had to change it on box but using network menu to change it reverts on restart. I have managed to do it by putting enigma2 to sleep then editing the resolv.conf then init 3 to restart enigma2.


Another suggestion ive seen is,

you need to edit a system file, comment out 5 lines towarsd the end of /etc/udhcpc.d/50default

change (about line 45)
Code:
                if [ -x /sbin/resolvconf ]; then
                        echo -n "$R" | /sbin/resolvconf -a "${interface}.udhcpc"
                else
                        echo -n "$R" > "$RESOLV_CONF"
                fi

to
Code:
#               if [ -x /sbin/resolvconf ]; then
#                       echo -n "$R" | /sbin/resolvconf -a "${interface}.udhcpc"
#               else
#                       echo -n "$R" > "$RESOLV_CONF"
#               fi

you may need to restart network after.
 
I change all my boxes to a dns of 8.8.8.8 and secondary dns of 8.8.4.4.
They have never changed on restart.
 
I change all my boxes to a dns of 8.8.8.8 and secondary dns of 8.8.4.4.
They have never changed on restart.

Im not sure I have tried via the network menu on both vix and OpenATV with the same results, Maybe im missing something but editing file with enigma2 asleep works for me
 
Have you set dhcp to no and given the box it’s Own ip address.
 
Sorry just seen this yes turned DHPC to no it took a few attempts but it sorted it

Dsayers can you recap how you got openvpn working because i have a superdud3 as well. i am trying to get ipvanish to work using openvpn but no success so far. i have followed a tut from another site and i have copied 3 files to /etc/openvpn (login.txt, client.conf & crt file). the conf file is updated with auth-user-pass login.txt

ive then installed openvpn, enabled openvpn in the menu. openvpn seems to be green and enabled but the vpn isnt working

is this similar to your experience
 
Dsayers can you recap how you got openvpn working because i have a superdud3 as well. i am trying to get ipvanish to work using openvpn but no success so far. i have followed a tut from another site and i have copied 3 files to /etc/openvpn (login.txt, client.conf & crt file). the conf file is updated with auth-user-pass login.txt

ive then installed openvpn, enabled openvpn in the menu. openvpn seems to be green and enabled but the vpn isnt working

is this similar to your experience

With my issues as soon as I started openvpn I lost internet connection.

In network menu, device run network test if any fail turn off VPN now goto device and run the network wizard and change dhpc to no then press ok. Now set to Google dns.

Nameserver 1 8.8.8.8
Nameserver 2 8.8.4.4

That worked for me using my private network and didgit vpn.

Also with those vpn,s I only needed Client.conf and login.txt.

Also ask your vpn provider for there dns as it might be better.
 
The reason you network appears to stop working is because by default your box is trying to use your local VM hub as a DNS server.

Using openvpn you are tunnelling ALL network traffic from you box via a remote machine including DNS requests. This means your box can no longer talk to the "local" VM hub while the tunnel is connected.

To get around this you add the following lines to the openvpn config file allowign you to specify which public DNS servers to use while connected (in this case google and IBM):

dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8
dhcp-option DNS 9.9.9.9​


You can also configure openvpn to only tunnel non-local network traffic i.e. the box will still be visable on the local network but any traffic not destined for the local Internet will be tunnelled. If I remember correctly you just need to replace

dev tun
tls-client​

with the line

client​

in the openvpn config file.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top