Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to use Backup & Image Manager on Duo/Solo/Uno/ET9000/ET5000 ViX

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts

How to use Backup & Image Manager on Duo/Solo/Uno/ET9000/ET5000 ViX

This tutorial will show you how to use the new Backup Manager and Image Manager on the ViX Image

Now although they seem the same, they aren't

The Backup Manager lets you create scheduled backups of your system files (not full
    Image like Image Manager).

The Image Manager enables you to backup and restore your image (we are talking the whole image, not just settings).

Both also let you chose where you want to store the backups i.e USB, HDD, Network and also you can schedule Daily, Weekly or Monthly backups too.

Backup Manager

The (automated) settingsbackup is now in ViX-BackupManager, including the re-install of softcams and other plugins. After flashing an image, the restorefunction discovers the existence of settings, and asks if you want to restore them. The restore asks if previously installed plugins must be installed.

The restore function only discovers the existence of the latest backup, and it must have the default pref-fix. If you want an older backup to be restored, just say "No" to the wizard, return to the backupmanager once the system is up, select the wanted backup and choose "restore".

To get started you need to go to the Backup Manager which can be found by pressing the blue button/VIX/

1.jpg

Once in the Backup Manager you will see something like below (mine has previous backups, your might be empty)

2.jpg

First you need to set up the Backup Manager (scheduled backups, directory etc). Press the Menu button on your remote to setup

3.jpg

I have set mine to do a daily backup at 2am and store it on my HDD.

You can also press "Yellow" and add other files you would like to backup other than the default ones that are pre selected for you (i havent done any extra)

4.jpg

Press "Green" to save if you have made any changes. Once you are back on the main Backup Manager screen you are ready to make a backup.

Press "Green" to make a New Backup and you will prompted with a confirmation box

5.jpg

Press "Yes" and the backup process will start like and you will be returned back to the main backup manager screen below

6.jpg

The backup process will run in the background but if you want to view it just press "Green" to View Progress

7.jpg

This will take a few minutes to process and once done you will see the Finished screen

8.jpg

Just press OK to return to the main backup manager screen.

9.jpg

You might notice that there is nothing in there, if that is the case press "Red" to Refresh List and you should now see your backup

10.jpg

Now you can restore these settings right from the Backup Manager screen at any time by pressing "Yellow" to Restore. Or you can restore these settings after doing a new flash of the ViX Image right from the restore wizard.

NOTE:
    The restore wizard only finds (and hence restores) the latest backed up settings. If you want to restore older setting, just say "No" to the restore wizard, you end up with a "clean" system. You can then enter the Backup Manager, select the desired settings and restore them in the live-system.

the latest backed up settings that the wizard would restore in my case from the screenshot above would be

vuduo-enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz

And thats that

The Image Manager tutorial is below
    Last edited by punisher; 21-07-11 at 21:49.
    "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad - Click Here
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to punisher For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Chips (09-09-12),ColinB (05-01-14),covenantsland (02-02-12),facan (18-04-14),geraldo (19-03-15),maggiesfan (20-05-12),mcquaim (08-02-12),mimiru (25-06-12),pudvos (03-06-13),Sicilian (01-11-11),Spokes (25-01-12),ToMaJo (28-12-11),Tomtoggs (09-10-13),yoyopowder (08-10-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Image Manager

To backup your entire image ready for a new flash or a restore you need to get to the Image Manager which can be found in Blue Button/VIX/Image Manager

Once in there you will either see an empty screen or something like mine below

12.jpg

Now first you need to set this up again like you did the Backup Manager. so press "Menu" on your remote to bring up the settings page

13.jpg

Chose where you want to store the backup (mine is on USB) and selected whether you want daily/weekly/montly backups (i have chose daily backup at 7am) and then "Green" to save the settings and return to the main screen.

Now press "Green" to do a New Backup and you will be prompted with a confirmation box, just press "Yes"

14.jpg

Again just like the Backup Manager you will be returned to the main screen as the backup runs in the background for a few minutes.

15.jpg

To view the backup, press "Green" to View Progress and you will be shown the progress bar like below

16.jpg

You can press "Blue" to continue in the background or wait for it to finish and once completed press "OK"

17.jpg

once you are back to the main screen, again it might be empty

18.jpg

so just press "Red" to Refresh List and you will now see your new backup dated todays date at the beginning.

19.jpg

Now you can restore the image from the Image Manager by pressing "Yellow"

20.jpg

or you can ftp into media/usb (where i stored my backups) and copy the backup onto another usb and flash the image that way too.

21.jpg

Enjoy the tutorials guys. Any questions then dont hesitate to ask.

Last edited by punisher; 21-07-11 at 21:57.
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to punisher For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BALDRICK75 (30-05-12),ColinB (05-01-14),gaz31 (23-02-13),geraldo (19-03-15),maggiesfan (20-05-12),mcquaim (08-02-12),mimiru (25-06-12),phil7513 (07-05-17),shaft (26-08-12),Sicilian (01-11-11),Spokes (25-01-12),super666 (04-12-12),topher (22-05-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Punisher

Thanks for the tutorial

I have just tried a backup & restore

I tried to use the restore feature pressing the yellow button

It asks for confirmation.
    From there on there is no progress info
    Is this normal or does the restore happen in the background no info?

Regards

Dave

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slasher71 For This Useful Post:

ToMaJo (28-12-11)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi

sorry only just noticed a reply to this. hope you found and answer but if not, when you select to backup, if you exit out the screen back to tv screen then press blue button and you should see a progress bar with info on that
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    You cant restore the image on the ET, it has to be flashed.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

facan (18-04-14),phil7513 (07-05-17)

Title
    Thanks

How to use Backup & Image Manager on Duo/Solo/Uno/ET9000/ET5000 ViX

hello i have followed your guide but it does not restore my VU+Duo i have vix 2.3.204 installed. after i have restored it the screen comes up with the wizard to set my duo from scratch eg OSD requires setting up again plus all my channels have gone that i had scanned i end up in a worse state than before i did a backup & restore.

I have used both the backup manager & the image manager but to no use p.s. you state you can press the yellow button to back up more items but i dont see this option at all did you use a different version of VIX when you did this what version of VIX has a complete backup you know works ok as i cannot progress further with this system until i know i can play / learn more about the system safe in the understanding if i cock up i can just restore the system.

i hope you can help me as this is my first week with this setup

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you go into Image Manager you can make a full bakup of your image there. Wherever it is located you can copy those files from ftp and stick them on usb an flash how you would any new image. If the backup manager hasnt restored it for you, go bak into backup manager and restore the back you made. It should be listed there
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    I have a question,
    If you do a settings backup, say on vix image, then want to try another image, AAF for instance, will the backup restore your settings into the new image?

Sent from my iThing using sorcery and the magic interweb

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The new AAF image? Or if u were to revert back from that image to vix? If you revert bak to vix then yes u can restore the backup but you cant restore the backup to another image other than vix
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher View Post
    The new AAF image? Or if u were to revert back from that image to vix? If you revert bak to vix then yes u can restore the backup but you cant restore the backup to another image other than vix
    Any image really, just picked that 1 of the top of my head.
    But from what you say it won't work. Thanks.

Sent from my iThing, using sorcery and the magic interweb.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TK4|2|1 For This Useful Post:

facan (18-04-14)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    as punisher said, a a settings backup made from the ViX image, will only work when with the ViX image not any others.

The same applies to settings backups made from other images.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,can i remove current usb stick for epg etc,and install a different usb to backup image and settings?,then remove to keep incase needed,and replace original usb back for epg etc?
    I tried this last night and it got to 40% and the box crashed,would not respond to anything,not even after un plugging,so i lost everthing and had to do a fresh flash of the openvix image,thanks. vu+solo
    BCFC

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Assuming that like the ET9200 you have more than 1 USB port, then leave your normal usb alone, plug in the backup image, ensure it is mounted and backup specifically to this usb.
    I also lost my system in a similar fashion, when I plugged in my 2nd usb and didn't realise I had a problem with the mount, so I think it is unwise and a problem for the system when you start interchanging usb sticks to the same port.
    Motto: don't mess with a working system

Title
    Thanks
    I just want to backup the image just incase i get any problems,like i did!!
    also want to do backup manager for settings. So as i only have 2 usb ports and both are being used,one to power wifi bridge,other for epg etc,i guess i will need to take out the wifi bridge and use that usb port?,to save my settings/image.
    cheers.
    BCFC

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Yes, I always feel nervous without good backups, but would suggest that you when you replace the usb, check that all the mounts are set up properly in Mount Manager.
    The other way is to have a bigger USB stick and use it for both epg and backups, they are now so cheap that it is not a big expense

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast