Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Play TV DTT works with Nova T Driver :-)

Title
    Thanks

Sony Play TV DTT works with Nova T Driver :-)

Folks following on from this post on another forum, and am happy to report great news
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfreeview View Post
    Just been playing with my new Vu Duo and the new Vix 2.2 Image.
    I was looking at the DTT tuner plugins and I noticed something. The Standard drivers for the Nova HD plugin have the same specs as the Sony Playstation 3 drivers.

Guess what.
    It works.

I can confirm the Sony Play Station 3 Play TV DTT tuner works perfect with the Nova drivers and it gives you all the current Irish DTT channels including RTE 2 HD.
    And its a dual tuner!!!!!
    I was about to sell mine but stopped short when I seen one selling for just £6 on ebay!
    My advice, grab one quick!
    I can confirm that the PlayTV works with Nova T drivers and works as a twin tuner

I picked up one on Ebay for €20 and now have the Irish DTT service clear as a bell!
    Finally be able to watch the Magners/RaboDirect League Rugby in HD for next season!
    Great spot Irishfreeview, Kudos Buddy!
    Last edited by banie01; 27-06-11 at 12:34.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to banie01 For This Useful Post:

Alankellyeire (28-05-17),bassethound (27-06-11),Sicilian (27-06-11)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Which version of the Nova T drivers did you install from the feeds?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Alankellyeire (28-05-17)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    i can see these things going daft on ebay now.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

banie01 (27-06-11)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    glad i got my Nova T of ebay for £9 delivered
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Which version of the Nova T drivers did you install from the feeds?
    The wintv.nova.t(1.0-r2) its working beautifully picked it up straight away on reboot and showing as tuners C/D scanned my channels and recorded 3 DVB-T while watching 1

Quote Originally Posted by bassethound View Post
    glad i got my Nova T of ebay for £9 delivered
    Now that was cheap! I paid £20 including shipping for mine, but hey thats still cheap for a twin tuner in my book!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to banie01 For This Useful Post:

Alankellyeire (28-05-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    can anyone link me one on ebay? not sure which one it is...

Title
    Thanks
    HTML Code:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Play-TV-PlayStation-3-PS3-/230639308723?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item35b32c8fb3

12. The Following User Says Thank You to banie01 For This Useful Post:

judge (27-06-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

judge (27-06-11)

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    No HD for those of us in Blight than

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    No HD for those of us in Blight than
    I'm not sure on that.
    BUT as the MPEG4 decoding is handed off the Duo and the Play TV has the same hardware signature as the NovaT(Does NovaT do Freeview HD) I'd be very suprised if the PlayTV didnt handle Freeview HD.
    I know it wont do it on the PS3 but thats a Sony issue

But I'll hedge my bets and wait for a UK user to confirm

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    You guys are on DVB T and we are DVB T2

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

Alankellyeire (28-05-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    You guys are on DVB T and we are DVB T2
    I know that
    But as the hardware signatures are the same on the Sony PlayTV and The Hauppage Nova-T TD and the Pinnacle PCTV DVB-T usb Stick and others according to here
    HTML Code:
    http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Sony_PlayTV_dual_tuner_DVB-T
    And given the fact that both those tuners do Freeview HD(Or am I wrong? Apologies if I am, But then at least this is still a good twin tuner option for Ireland/Europe)
    I think the PlayTV installed under the Nova-T drivers will do the job in the UK too.
    But like I said I've not tried it but based on the fact that the chipset is the same as Nova-T TD which according to what I've found on google will do UK freeview HD I don't see why it wouldnt.

Title
    Thanks
    Unfortunately for UK viewers Freeview HD does not work with PlayTV. This was a sense of annoyance for UK PS3 owners who bought it originally on launch on the assumption that it would work with the UK HD channels.

Freeview HD requires a DVB-T2 tuner.

The tuner in the PlayTV is a twin DVB-T tuner which will sadly not tune the DVB-T2 channels. PlayTV works very well as a twin Freeview SD tuner for the VU+Duo. There will never be any potential for the UK Freeview HD channels to be received with PlayTV as it is a hardware limitation and not a software limitation.

The only USB DVB-T2 stick that I know of is the PCTV Nanostick and as far as I know no linux drivers exist for that one..

The reason that the Irish Saorview HD channels work ok is that they are on standard DVB-T frequencies which the PlayTV can receive and the VU+ has no problems decoding the MPEG4 HD stream.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrimeTime For This Useful Post:

banie01 (27-06-11),bassethound (27-06-11),Sicilian (28-06-11)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Sony Play TV DTT works with Nova T Driver :-)

Sorry to reply to such an old thread, but it's the only one I could find related to play TV by Sony.

@banie I am using the Play TV with my Vu Duo here in Ireland, and it works very well. However, Every now and again, I get a blank screen with the message: No data on transponder (No signal on PAT) or something similar.

I solve it by doing a reboot. Simply changing the channel doesn't fix it. The problem happens maybe twice a week.

I'm running the latest VIX 3.808. I reflashed last week, and did a fresh scan also. I've got the 0700 driver installed from feeds.

Am I alone, or does anyone else see this?
    Last edited by finbarr; 26-01-14 at 15:29.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finbarr View Post
    Sorry to reply to such an old thread, but it's the only one I could find related to play TV by Sony.

@banie I am using the Play TV with my Vu Duo here in Ireland, and it works very well. However, Every now and again, I get a blank screen with the message: No data on transponder (No signal on PAT) or something similar.

I solve it by doing a reboot. Simply changing the channel doesn't fix it. The problem happens maybe twice a week.

I'm running the latest VIX 3.808. I reflashed last week, and did a fresh scan also. I've got the 0700 driver installed from feeds.

Am I alone, or does anyone else see this?
    Thankfully I have not noticed that problem here at all on my duo 2 with the play tv tuner Only time I ever see this problem is with rte+1 channel either when it's off air (pre 7pm) or when there are certain programs which cannot be shown on this channel for contractual reasons (eg fair city) rte use mheg 5 to send an on-screen message to explain this but unfortunately none of the e2 boxes support mheg 5

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    D I S C L A I M E R

ET8500
    80cm motorised triax TD88

24. The Following User Says Thank You to irishchris For This Useful Post:

finbarr (26-01-14)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast