Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Word of Caution if you drive a new diesel

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylar View Post
    i had my dpf removed from a 306 tdi cost me about 400 at the time past all mots no problems and been fine ever since. There is also an additive you can add directly to the fuel tank to help with the regeneration process . Think all diesel cars after 2007 have them fitted by law but you can remove them if you like
    Not on some of the newer ones from what I have heard. Also the VW apparantly no longer have them fitted.

I did a DIY job on mine cleansed it with caustic soda and its been fine since.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Goto love a modern diesel engine. whats next EGR valve or Dual mass flywheel?
    If its a vauxhall be prepared for both.. lol

Title
    Thanks
    Get the car remapped to remove it and manually break it out of the car. It serves no real purpose tbh other than to save the cat. But the cat has years and years of life in it. Or you could get someone to regenerate the PF filter, it burns the gunk out of it and leavs it like new. The person that recaps it can also do it. It only costs a fraction of buying a new one for it to fair 2-3 years down the line again.

Title
    Thanks
    I know this is an old thread but just for information.
    I have an 09 citreon berlingo and page 127 of the manual it says it is caused by
    saturation of the filter after prolonged urban type driving, low speed, long traffic jams.
    It says
    drive at a speed higher than 40mph (60km/) for at least 5 minutes as soon as possible when traffic conditions permit.
    If after this the light is still on then contact a citreon dealer

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    the easiest way to clean the filter is to drive on a long stretch of road with revs over 20k for around 20 minutes. dont have to go fast just knock it into a lover than normal gear as long as the revs go over 20k for the duration needed.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

scruff1963 (16-11-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    the easiest way to clean the filter is to drive on a long stretch of road with revs over 20k for around 20 minutes. dont have to go fast just knock it into a lover than normal gear as long as the revs go over 20k for the duration needed.
    you mean 2k buddy.. not 20k..

Diesel vehicles hit the limiter at around 4k - 4500 rpm.. F1 cars hit the limiter at 18k rpm..

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Mister For This Useful Post:

roybach (29-07-16),scruff1963 (16-11-12)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    lol 20k, 2k you know what i mean. ( plus ive been awake for 48 hrs ).
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (16-11-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    ......with revs over 20k .....
    WOW that's fast
    Must be a sporty type of diesel you have

Actually it's not enough to do a decent cleaning; better would be to give the motor a decent load for some time; a high-speed motorway trip would be fine (say some 20 minutes at a speed of 75MPH), or better: pull a caravan in a mountain trip!

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

scruff1963 (16-11-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    I have had to do this 4 times with my (now) 3 year old VW Golf but it is mainly used in town, with a few burns up the local autobahns.
    However 3 weeks ago, my wife forgot to mention the light had come on and it ended up in the garage, where they successfully regenerated it.
    Absolute pain, but no need to replace

Title
    Thanks
    Hi guys - Im new to the forum so hello!

Had my DPF light come on recently too but I code VWs/Audis as a hobby so luckily for me, I managed to activate 'regeneration' mode which circulates exhaust gasses to the DPF taking it from 200C to about 800C. This mixed with 2000+ rpm for 15 minutes took me from 80% blocked to 0%

You don't generally need to activate regen mode to clean it but you clear it up MUCH quicker if you do! (15 mins compared to 1-2 hours for an 80% blockage)

Happy to give anyone close (york) a hand with regen if you ever need it!

Ian

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianc1990 For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (21-01-13),scruff1963 (21-02-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Also be aware now mot testers have to physically check the a dpf is still fitted and if not and should be its a fail and has to be refitted so be careful dpf removal could be very costly in the end its also technically illegal

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madian View Post
    Also be aware now mot testers have to physically check the a dpf is still fitted and if not and should be its a fail and has to be refitted so be careful dpf removal could be very costly in the end its also technically illegal

Just do what i did, get rid of the diesel and buy a petrol. LOL.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Did do got a petrol BMW with an LPG conversion get the equiv of 60mpg from a 528i ;-)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Did do got a petrol BMW with an LPG conversion get the equiv of 60mpg from a 528i ;-)

lol, i went for a corsa just for the work run. for the fields i have a old type 2 landrover with a gun rest and lamp kit for those pesky foxes.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks

Or remove the Dpf hollow it out refit then remap ecu as far as mot is concerned it's still fitted and will still pass emissions check

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast