Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: updating second stage on dreambox.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

updating second stage on dreambox.

Sorry - i know im posting in the wrong area but theres nothing going on in the 7025 area - the last post was mine from god knows how long ago....but, i believe the theory is the same.

ultimately im trying to get barry allen on a fresh install on my 7025+ no matter what i use (image wise) and no matter what version of barry allen i use i cant get it to install - barry allen complains about the second stage being out of date (and i cant get that on either) - been at it for hours and i cant get past first base - can anyone help ??

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    off to bed now as ive had enough....

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    not got a 7025 here, but do have a 7020

what I did was load zoom on as a base image, got a usb stick activated, then used the barryallen plugin to install

hope this helps, and sorry about the lack of resonce
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    moved this thread into the DM7025 section where it should be.

we need some more information.

such as what version second stage are you trying to load to the box ? as the latest version is 83
    what are you using to flash this second stage bootloader ?
    etc etc etc.

also have you tried getting rid of barry allen all together and using something else such as DUMBO the dumb boot plugin ?

again provide as much information as possible.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi - thanks for the responses - as i say i posted here as there are literally 2 posts in the 7025 area (and one of them was mine) so i guessed if i posted then no one would answer, and being as its enigma 2 then i thought i would ask here.

Ok - either im doing something wrong or i dont understand how to do it.

Ive found a number of second stage files, some ipk's, some nfi files - none of them work, the nfi's when i install from the dream up software it goes on but if i try to install barry allen (v5.0.18 i think) it says that the second stage needs to be updated, depending on which version of barry allen i use will depend on the error/minmum version for the second stage.

are there any images with barry allen already pre configed in...?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Sorry - forgot to add im using a compact flash card (2gig) when barry allen works it does always find the CF card and install to there, but as i say its not even getting that far...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i did used to have a version that worked but lost it, saying that as there are much newer versions (v5.something is out) then it would be nice to use that - ive found barry allen the single most useful bit of software on the dreambox as it enables me to mess around with other images without loosing a stable image to return to. many thanks for all the help by the way.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    never heard of dumbo - whats that...?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfysofa View Post
    never heard of dumbo - whats that...?
    read this it will explain it all

Code:
    http://wiki.blue-panel.com/index.php/Dumbo_%28en%29
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    ok - am i right in assuming that its one usb device per image?? looks from what i can see to be a lot clunkier that Barry Allen?? has anyone used this instead of Barry Allen

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ironically it needs the secondstage loader to be updated!!! which is my initial problem...

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    I don't know about the 7025, as I have never used it.... But, from what I remember with the dm800, the secondstage loader was updated the same way as installing an image in flash.

i.e. You would press the standby button when booting up, wait for the ip address to appear on screen, enter that ip on your pc, and load the secondstage through that. But, the last secondstage I used on dm800 was 76, so was quite a while ago I needed to worry about all that
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yeah - ive tried it both ways - some secondstage loaders were nfi's and some were ipkg's. I still havent got it working yet ( trying for the last 2 hours or so ) but i did get a different result. I flashed the GP 4.7 image to base rom and then ran an ipkg secondstage loader which gave me this....

dm7025 login: root
    root@dm7025:~# cd /
    root@dm7025:/# ipkg install /tmp/dreambox-secondstage_83-r0a_dm7025.ipk
    Installing dreambox-secondstage (83-r0a) to root...
    Configuring dreambox-secondstage
    *** raw flash write tool. Don't have bad sectors or it won't work.
    *** uncompressing... ok!
    *** FLASH_GEOM: 02000000 00004000 00000200 00000010 00000005
    *** CRC check ignored!
    *** stage 0: ..00000000 | 00000008..00000014 (12 bytes)
    *** stage 1: ..00040000 | 00000018..00021018 (135168 bytes)
    *** stage 2: ..00000000 | 0002101c..0002101c (0 bytes)
    *** stage 3: ..00000000 | 00021020..00021020 (0 bytes)
    *** bad block list: none
    *** writing.. ok!
    *** done!

but after i rebooted the box i got nothing (blank display on the DB and no video) so, something happened....will try again now...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    This then begs another question....once the second stage is written - is that something that is permanent (ie flashed to the main board away from the general image flashing) - once its done then the secondstage is always at (in my case version 83 had it have worked) or is it a software only thing??

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfysofa View Post
    This then begs another question....once the second stage is written - is that something that is permanent (ie flashed to the main board away from the general image flashing) - once its done then the secondstage is always at (in my case version 83 had it have worked) or is it a software only thing??
    Not 100% sure on this ... But, I think that it's image dependant. IIRC, on the dm800, some images were built with the ss loader in them. Upon flashing the image to the box, it would overwrite the memory for the ss loader with the one in the image. Others didn't, and so would use whichever you had written to it...

Wonder if there could be some sort of problem with your box, or could be the secondstage loaders?! Might be worth trying to contact dmm directly. I know when I had a problem with my dm800 psu, they sorted it out no problems. With this being an older box though, not sure what they'll do?!
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast