Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Ariva 254 - dead after a channel database upload? Surely not...! Help most appreciated!!

Title
    Thanks

Ariva 254 - dead after a channel database upload? Surely not...! Help most appreciated!!

Hi all,

Newbie here, but since I've already spent half of Easter looking for an old RS232 cable, might as well give this a shot!

I tried to update a channel list from one version of an Ariva 254 to another via USB a few days ago... But alas, I must've missed something in the uploading process as it accepted all, began to reboot... and then dead.

No "ON", no "Ash", no logo... nothing. It just won't appear to power on - no lights at the ethernet port, or via the Optical out (if it is supposed to have those), no "ON" on the front display. Power adaptor is fine, as it powers the other model just fine (and the other model's adaptor does not power the broken one.)

I really can't see how I could have fried anything in the process, but I found out too late that apparently Ariva firmware/channel uploading is not quite the easy task it's supposed to be.

The unit is in perfect low-use condition otherwise, so I thought it worth a go to see if any of you have had any experience of this failure, or advice on if it is even possible to bring it back from the dead at all. The sheer 'lack of power' after a channel upload still baffles me. Now I wish I'd just done the damn rearranging manually..

Thoughts most welcome and any suggestions would be amazing.

Thanks a lot!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    There are 2 different types of cables rs232 with parallel wires and the other DB9 with a crossover wire used on old boxes to flash them.

Not sure on Arriva but there were 2 things you could do update / flash the image , and updating channel list and no idea if you can update to send to wrong one

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    There are 2 different types of cables rs232 with parallel wires and the other DB9 with a crossover wire used on old boxes to flash them.

Not sure on Arriva but there were 2 things you could do update / flash the image , and updating channel list and no idea if you can update to send to wrong one
    Alas, this was all via USB until the point it died. I was hoping to find an old null modem RS232 to try to flash/repair, but the machine doesn't even "turn on" visibly, so wondering if anyone has had this before.

I originally believed I didn't send the channel list to the wrong uploader, but I did get a brief BIN warning I didn't have time to read - accidentally said yes! - so it very likely did happen there.

Really annoying there isn't some really basic way to reset the firmware if all comes to all, but hopefully still recoverable.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you still have the manual have a read of flashing it as thinking its only via cable and not Usb and those cables are easy to come by

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    If you still have the manual have a read of flashing it as thinking its only via cable and not Usb and those cables are easy to come by
    Finding a PC that will support RS232 these days is a bit more difficult. Often older software that communicates via rs232 only supports it on comms ports 1 to 4 and usb to RS232 adapters get configured by default to comms ports with higher numbers.

Perhaps see
    Code:
    https://kb.plugable.com/serial-adapter/how-to-change-the-com-port-for-a-usb-serial-adapter-on-windows-7,-8,-81,-and-10
    If the box still has a boot loader it may be looking on the RS232 port before you see see life from the box. I don't know anything about your box but on other makes of boxes that I've owned the procedure was to turn the box off, set up the software on the computer and say go and then turn the box on.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

cactikid (12-04-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Had a few Golden Oldies running XP and had that port and cable in laptop bag.

Never liked those converters as half the time they did not work , maybe wrong cable used.?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks to you all for your help - there's some potential in the possibility it's listening on the RS232 port, so I'll pick up a cable and use an old Win XP machine from the attic to see what can be done - will let you know how it goes!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to spotbeamlooksgood For This Useful Post:

cactikid (16-04-23)