Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Is it possible to programme timers/EPG while away from the house?

Title
    Thanks

Is it possible to programme timers/EPG while away from the house?

I can do this on my phone while in the house with an APP but is it possible to do this while away from my house?

My problem is that if I go away for 7 days there will be no EPG for the 7th day, if I go away for two weeks then there's no EPG for those last 8 days.
    I have tried everything to try and download two weeks of EPG but as far as I can see it doesn't exist.

For your info I only need about 13 Freesat channels on 28.2E so it's quite a basic need.

Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark5 View Post
    I can do this on my phone while in the house with an APP but is it possible to do this while away from my house?

My problem is that if I go away for 7 days there will be no EPG for the 7th day, if I go away for two weeks then there's no EPG for those last 8 days.
    I have tried everything to try and download two weeks of EPG but as far as I can see it doesn't exist.

For your info I only need about 13 Freesat channels on 28.2E so it's quite a basic need.

Thanks
    i) Use a record timer to turn your box on at least once a day

ii) Use over the air update of the Freesat EPG which will automatically constantly update the EPG for months/years
    iii) Use autotimers to automatically search the EPG as information appears in the EPG and let it set the timers.

There are other options that others will suggest....
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Not a direct answer to your question, but are you wanting to record something that is broadcast regularly?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Not a direct answer to your question, but are you wanting to record something that is broadcast regularly?
    I know what you are going to suggest
    Sometimes there are different programmes that crop up now and then.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    i) Use a record timer to turn your box on at least once a day

ii) Use over the air update of the Freesat EPG which will automatically constantly update the EPG for months/years
    iii) Use autotimers to automatically search the EPG as information appears in the EPG and let it set the timers.

There are other options that others will suggest....
    Yes the EPG updates on it's own.
    Like I said to Abu sometimes there are other programmes that you don't know are there until you see the EPG.

However, using a TV Guide I could see two weeks in front and set up auto-timers.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    There is a guide by Pembo on how to setup ssh keys so you can log in to your receiver safely from a remote location.

By the way, AutoTimers create timers. You can set a timer if you know date, time and channel. Hopefully service reference won't have changed

7. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

aardvark5 (03-03-23)

Title
    Thanks
    There is a guide by Pembo on how to setup ssh keys so you can log in to your receiver safely from a remote location.

Ooh, I'll search for it

Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

By the way, AutoTimers create timers. You can set a timer if you know date, time and channel.
    You only need to know the title, or partial title of the program. Ideally limit the search to a channel or two but let the autotimer find the future time and day/date. Maybe also use the VPS plugin to adjust timings if there are late changes. My F1 autotimer has found the first race of the season - an autotimer that has been on the box for over a year. One thing to consider if you select exact matching that a program may have a prefix of "new" - or it may not - so it may be better to select a partial match to catch both versions. Another thing that once caught me out is the BBC titling Doctor Who as either Dr Who or Doctor Who. "Who" may be too generic to set an autotimer partial search so I now have two timers for both versions of the program name.

Hopefully service reference won't have changed
    F*****g BBC with their regional HD regional services. Tonight a caught a missing timer because BBC One HD is now BBC One HD Lon for my region (on satellite). I have since updated my autotimers.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    I was not referring to auto timers. They just query the EPG and when they find a match, they then create a timer. If you know the details, why do you want autotimer to search for it and then create a timer?

Menu > Timers > Timers (not auto timers) > Green (Add) >
    The name/descriptions will be of the current event, but you can edit them. You can change the date, time, channel ( press ok to open list of channels) and location. Even if you press green while on grid epg, you can do the same thing.

I have set a timer for 06/04/2023 on Sky witness HD as a test. The EPG details will be shot, but it will record on that service reference on the set date/time.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <timers>
    <timer begin="1680819720" end="1680823800" serviceref="1:0:19:F58:7E9:2:11A0000:0:0:0:" repeated="0" rename_repeat="1" name="Michael McIntyre&apos;s The Wheel" description="8/12. Michael McIntyre hosts as Katherine Ryan, Harry Pinero, the Rev Richard Coles, Scott Mills, Mark Wright, Judi Love and Philippa Perry try to help the contestants win life-changing cash. [S] [HD]" afterevent="auto" justplay="0" always_zap="0" pipzap="0" conflict_detection="1" descramble="1" record_ecm="0" isAutoTimer="0" eit="13150" tags="Michael_McIntyre&apos;s_The_Wheel">
    <log code="15" time="1677886657">record time changed, start prepare is now: Thu Apr  6 23:21:40 2023</log>
    </timer>
    </timers>

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark5 View Post
    Ooh, I'll search for it

Thanks
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...c-private-keys

12. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

aardvark5 (04-03-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    You only need to know the title, or partial title of the program. Ideally limit the search to a channel or two but let the autotimer find the future time and day/date. Maybe also use the VPS plugin to adjust timings if there are late changes. My F1 autotimer has found the first race of the season - an autotimer that has been on the box for over a year. One thing to consider if you select exact matching that a program may have a prefix of "new" - or it may not - so it may be better to select a partial match to catch both versions. Another thing that once caught me out is the BBC titling Doctor Who as either Dr Who or Doctor Who. "Who" may be too generic to set an autotimer partial search so I now have two timers for both versions of the program name.

This is my 3rd VU+ in around 12 years so I have been using Auto Timers in the past HOWEVER my wifes problem is the little nuggets she finds when looking through the EPG, so for example on More4 she may find a documentary about Wetherspoons (one she recorded last night) but it isn't the type of thing you'd go searching for on an Auto Timer.
    We now have a solution, she looks at a TV Guide online for the days she can't programme on the VU EPG and then I can add a timer for it.
    I'm definitely looking into the VPS plugin to adjust timings because BBC on a Saturday especially can be a bugger with shifting times.