Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Signal Finder showing strong signal but receiver showing 0 signal

Title
    Thanks

Signal Finder showing strong signal but receiver showing 0 signal

I fitted a new satellite dish and octo LNB earlier today and used a signal finder to get it in the correct position.

After coming down from the roof as i have no internet here to make sure the receiver shows signal and the channels work i was surprised to be getting 0 so i changed cables and input i was connected to on the LNB but still nothing on the receiver. As that was an old receiver and not used in a while i connected one that i know is working but still the same. Im after cutting the top of a tree and moving the satellite up the pole in case there was something else causing the issue but still the same.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong? It could be the LNB but i would assume it would show 0 signal on sig finder if it was.

e2.jpgsigfinder.jpglnb.jpg

Any suggestions or help here would be appreciated.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Maybe you pointed dish at wrong satellite?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Alankellyeire (20-02-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Is there a way for me to figure that out as it looks to be pointing in the exact same direction as neighbors.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,269 Posts
    Yes, most likely pointed at the wrong satellite.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Try setting it as AutoDiseqc. (simple, single, automatic) If it is on one of the satellites listed, it should tell you.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Alankellyeire (20-02-23),Huevos (21-02-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    It's highly likely you are pointing at 19.2E - German channels mostly. It's easy to pick up by mistake if you are just "eyeballing" the direction. As it's dark now you are unlikely to be climbing ladders, so wait until you can see what you're doing! Is your dish on the roof/chimney? If you can confirm you are picking up German channels, then you need to point the dish more east (to the right as you are facing the LNB and dish). Once established on 28.2E you may have to skew the LNB slightly in the holder to optimise signal quality.

From looking at the LNB pic - make sure you pull down the cover so that water doesn't get into the cable or use amalgamating tape or a rubber boot.
    Last edited by Joe_90; 20-02-23 at 21:39.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

Alankellyeire (21-02-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Alankellyeire View Post
    I fitted a new satellite dish and octo LNB earlier today and used a signal finder to get it in the correct position.

After coming down from the roof as i have no internet here to make sure the receiver shows signal and the channels work i was surprised to be getting 0 so i changed cables and input i was connected to on the LNB but still nothing on the receiver. As that was an old receiver and not used in a while i connected one that i know is working but still the same. Im after cutting the top of a tree and moving the satellite up the pole in case there was something else causing the issue but still the same.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong? It could be the LNB but i would assume it would show 0 signal on sig finder if it was.

e2.jpgsigfinder.jpglnb.jpg

Any suggestions or help here would be appreciated.
    You are probably pointing at the wrong satellite.

What may help is the dispointer web site

see
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...e-to-Re-Tune#2

https://www.dishpointer.com/

Also if you have an Enigma 2 box on your home network download the the Enigma Signal Meter App and install on your (Android) smart phone - maybe its available from other apps stores for iphones.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_GB&gl=US

One of the screens is the same as you show in your original posts but displayed in near real time on your phone (the phone app has to be connected to the box's IP address) . This means when you are up the ladder you can see the box's SNR and AGC values and fine tune the lnb position and skew once you are pointing at the correct satellite cluster.

Edit
    I assume that you are aware that with one of those satellite meters that once the needle reaches full scale that you wind down the gain knob on the meter and then again adjust the dish for maximum needle reading - repeat reducing the gain if the needle again gets to full scale. If the gain knob is at maximum the needle being at full scale doesn't necessarily mean that the dish is pointing at the satellite - just that you may be getting close.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53w7QRNFmLY
    (note he may be setting up the dish in Ireland)
    Last edited by adm; 21-02-23 at 02:29.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Try setting it as AutoDiseqc. (simple, single, automatic) If it is on one of the satellites listed, it should tell you.
    Tried this and it runs through the sats and says nothing connected at the end of it.

From look dish pointer it's pointed at the correct angle.

Anyone have any other suggestions

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alankellyeire View Post
    Tried this and it runs through the sats and says nothing connected at the end of it.

From look dish pointer it's pointed at the correct angle.

Anyone have any other suggestions
    "From look dish pointer it's pointed at the correct angle." - that's not a good answer - it really does not take more than a nudge sometimes to be on the wrong satellite
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Correction: I should have said if the transponders listed on autodiseqc are found it will return a result.
    The transponders listed in autodiseqc are here: https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/b...qc.py#L17:L183

Did you just check one transponder in signal finder or did you test several. Set the satellite as simple, single, 28.2. Then perform a manual scan, selecting single satellite. Post back what you get. If you can attach the lamedb file that is generated, then that is better. You will have to zip the lamedb file before you can attach it.

Possibilities:
    Wrong satellite
    Correct satellite but dish not aligned properly
    LNB placement/skew
    Faulty LNB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Alankellyeire (21-02-23)

Title
    Thanks
    I finally got it.

I move the sat up to the very top of the 1.8m pole and was able to connect to 28.2 pretty much straight away and took note of something that the LNB arm was pointing to in the distance. I then moved it back down the pole and aligned it with same thing in the distance and done.

Only tuned about 5 or 6 satellites in all my years and never had as much trouble as this. The signal finder was not finding any other satellites other than the wrong one in all my earlier attempts.

A 10 minute job usually turned out to be 6+ hours.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Good to know you got it in the end. Ensure you have peaked the LNB for best signal quality - ignore the dish meter - use the signal finder on the box.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers