Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: advice on soarview/DVB-T antenna

Title
    Thanks

advice on soarview/DVB-T antenna

Hey,

Moved into a new house and need a antenna for soarview.

Went looking online and there seems to be tonnes of different ones for different frequencies and colors.

Can anyone advise what antenna what I need to pick up signal from this mast.
    https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Collins_Barracks

Thanks in advance

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Your Inbox is full m8.

Saorview aerials are colour coded for areas or black to cover whole spectrum

HTML Code:
    https://www.freetv.ie/images/companies/1/saorview-coverage-map.jpg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

Alankellyeire (06-02-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    You need a group A aerial (red tip) for Saorview reception from Collins Barracks (UHF Chs 32 and 34). It's a relay station (low power) and is vertically polarised, so the aerial elements will be pointing up/down. Check with neighbours to verify that it's the appropriate transmitter for your location. The
    Code:
    saorview.ie
    website has a coverage checker.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

Alankellyeire (06-02-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    Your Inbox is full m8.

Saorview aerials are colour coded for areas or black to cover whole spectrum

HTML Code:
    https://www.freetv.ie/images/companies/1/saorview-coverage-map.jpg
    I cleared it out there now thanks for the heads up.

It was this map i was previously looking at and it confused me more than helped as it shows yellow tip and horizontal in my area but then red all around it. Wasnt sure if icon was just in yellow to make it more clear.

On the bottom of the image it says small stations not included so that doesnt help as I know collins barracks is a relay but not sure if its if thats included.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    You need a group A aerial (red tip) for Saorview reception from Collins Barracks (UHF Chs 32 and 34). It's a relay station (low power) and is vertically polarised, so the aerial elements will be pointing up/down. Check with neighbours to verify that it's the appropriate transmitter for your location. The
    Code:
    saorview.ie
    website has a coverage checker.
    Thanks never knew there was a coverage checker.
    I already had a look at the surrounding house and most dont have antennas that i can see and those that do are pointing to collins barracks and spur hill. Most of those antennas look very old and could be from before ireland went digital. From checking the coverage checker it says spur hill which doesnt make sense as thats over 9Km away while collins barracks is 3KM away. Is that normal to be connecting to a mast far further away? Collins barracks is even in line of sight of spur hill from my new place. Are the mast like phone masts and covering a specific side and not the X radius around the mast?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If your that close try an indoor aerial , the outdoor black one is a one for all areas when one is confused

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Digital/analogue makes no difference to an aerial (or LNB for that matter). The lengths of the aerial elements are dependent on the frequency/wavelength of the signal you wish to receive. The black tip aerial is a wideband version. A proper grouped aerial will perform better. That tv trade website only shows main transmitters. Go by what the saorview website recommends for your address/eircode. It will show you the exact bearing and distance to Collins Barracks and Spur Hill. Spur Hill is probably the appropriate transmitter as it radiates 50kW, whereas Collins Barracks is only 80W and is probably covering local blackspots which can't receive Spur Hill properly. If your neighbours aerials are horizontally polarised (the elements are flat instead of up/down), then they are receiving Spur Hill.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

cactikid (06-02-23)