Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Satellite signal on New TV

Title
    Thanks

No Satellite signal on New TV

Hi all,

I recently changed my parents TV from an old 1080p Hanspree 28" to new Sony W800 32" model (1366 x 768).
    The TV is fed by a Gigablue Trio 4k box with a terrestrial and satellite feed.

On the Hanspree all looks good. When I switch the HDMI cable to the W800 model, only the terrestrial channels work.
    The satellite channels all show 0% signal.

All I moved was the HDMI cable and amended no settings.
    When I switched back to the old TV all is good again.

This has me completely stumped and I am out of ideas.
    I have tried:
    1) Setting the A/V settings to 720p (no sat signal on Gigablue).
    2) Connecting the SAT cable directly to the TV (bypassing the Gigablue). The TV tuning shows no signal
    3) Connected it to a 3 year old LG cheap TV (no sat signal on Gigablue)
    4) Different HDMI cables give the same result

It makes no sense to me as the HDMI cable should not affect the SAT signal at the Gigablue, it should just supply the video

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 881 Posts
    It's possible that the terrestrial channels are SD and the satellite channels are HD and the Gigablue is outputting in HD. 1366x768 is a very odd resolution for a new TV - more like a PC setting.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Silly selling tvs as HD ready and not full HD.
    Did you remove the sat cables and refitted them when box is powered off.
    Possible fault with lnb or cable or dish has moved.

Title
    Thanks
    I had a quick look at the specs. The native resolution of the panel is indeed 1366x768. I suppose it's because of the small screen size. It does accept a full 1920x1080 p50 signal, though. It also accepts a 720p signal. Have you tried with the Gigablue set to 1920x1080i/p at 50Hz?
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks both.

I'd be fairly sure i connected the sat cable with the box off but will retry. I'm pretty sure the tv was off when i connected it directly.

The resolution is strange alright. The whole 32" tv market is a bit strange in general. Hard to get anything decent.

The terrestrial channels are the Irish Saorview channels which are all less than full HD i believe, even the HD ones.

When i select auto/1080p in the AV settings, the menus output fine, just no sat tv signal. I would've thought even if the resolution was wrong, I'd see no menus. I don't see why it affects sat signal reading of the sat box.

If the above doesn't work, I'm going to try and switch it with my zgemma h7s

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I get no signal on tv when i forget to select my HDMI 1 , 2 or 3 and a blank screen when i am looking at a tv channel from tv.

Can i assume with new tvs you might have to activate the ports before use?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    I get no signal on tv when i forget to select my HDMI 1 , 2 or 3 and a blank screen when i am looking at a tv channel from tv.

Can i assume with new tvs you might have to activate the ports before use?
    It definitely has the right HDMI selected. I even tried all three in case one of the ports was damaged.

I literally change nothing apart from the end of the HDMI cable from the old to new tv and the sat signal goes to zero.

The sat feed is very old so i suspect it is something to do with the signal being marginal.

I'll try the zgemma tomorrow to see what it produces

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    Ok - the Saorview signal is 1440x1080 on the HD channels. 1440 is the same as 1920 but the pixel size is 1.33, so the actual resolution is 1920x1080. I'm in the Wicklow area, so can help with your issue if you are reasonably local.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You can always go into webif to see whats happening with no tv on and no signal would suggest cable, lnb , dish allignment?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the offer Joe. I am in Dublin but am fairly familiar with these boxes and think it is not related to the setup.
    Cactikid, good idea on the OpenWebIf. I'm guessing I will see no signal until the HDMI is connected to the old TV.

The update is I switched out the Gigablue Trio with a ZGemma H7S.
    => Same result, no sat signal on the new TV.

My parents have a working Gigablue Quad HD Plus in the other room so I moved the new TV and connected it to the Gigablue
    => Sat channels all fine

Conclusion
    1) TV is working fine
    2) Gigablue Trio is working fine
    3) ZGemma H7S is working fine

By elimination, it must be the SAT feed. I am guessing it is marginal and somehow connecting HDMI to the old TV is boosting the signal.

Title
    Thanks
    I think you need to turn on the debug log and download it attached to a post. You could try it with the Hanspree TV first, then the Sony.

Just to be clear - when you tune to a satellite channel, you can see the screen (Vix) user interface displayed on the new Sony TV, but the box is reporting "tune failed" or similar? If you go into the setup menu on Vix and use the Signal Finder it will tell you if it can obtain a lock on any of the transponders.
    If it's the case that the video to the TV drops out entirely when you select a satellite channel, then it's a resolution issue between the GB Trio (which is 4k capable) and the Sony. There may be an odd setting in the AV menu. Can you post a screenshot of the AV setup menu?

I re-read the thread and something is confusing me. You said you connected the sat cable directly to the TV and got no signal. The Sony W800 does not have a satellite tuner, only terrestrial DVB-T/T2.
    Last edited by Joe_90; 18-01-23 at 16:55.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I dont think you need a HDMI for Webif as your viewing it on pc but you need a live sat feed to give you a signal , like when other box was connected it did not work either.

Do you have a second feed to try with box powered off connect up cables and then on.

I had lost a connection just by moving box slightly as why i mentioned recheck F connector

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,941 Times in 3,265 Posts
    This thread is not clear. It says no satellite signal. Please pick from the following two options:

1) The infobar or other output is displayed but no picture from any channels.
    2) Nothing at all is displayed from the STB on the TV screen.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    This thread is not clear. It says no satellite signal. Please pick from the following two options:

1) The infobar or other output is displayed but no picture from any channels.
    2) Nothing at all is displayed from the STB on the TV screen.
    It's Option 1,.On the new TV, all Vix menus are displayed and terrestrial channels play fine but when I select a satellite channel, it shows tune failed.
    When I go "Signal Finder" in the OpenVix menu, all the numbers are zero.

On the old TV, SAT channels play fine

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    I dont think you need a HDMI for Webif as your viewing it on pc but you need a live sat feed to give you a signal , like when other box was connected it did not work either.

Do you have a second feed to try with box powered off connect up cables and then on.

I had lost a connection just by moving box slightly as why i mentioned recheck F connector
    It could be the connection as the F connector has fallen off leaving the bare central wire exposed. On the old Tv this works fine putting it into the SAT slot on the Gigablue.
    I still have the F connector but it won't stay on with a shove as the cable is too fat. It doesn't give a signal on the new TV when held in anyway.
    Last edited by dubrov; 18-01-23 at 22:55.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast