Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to update OpenVIX please?

Title
    Thanks

What is the best way to update OpenVIX please?

Hi

Just wanted to know what the best order is for an upgrade to 6.3 is please.
    Over the last few weeks I've had problems and this morning decided to install a new SSD (posted about it in another thread) and I basically want to start from scratch except for some saved settings.

So in my head I:
    1) Factory Reset

2) Flash the new 6.3 OpenVIX image

3) This is where I come unstuck.
    I want to keep all my settings so do I just flash the smaller Backup file eg vix-rel-5.4.014-20230110-1852.tar which is 5.89meg or do I go for a full image containing 6.2 eg openvix-vuuno4kse-release-5.4.014-20230109_103622.zip which is 86.9mb?
    Obviously I'm thinking if I flash the latter it then goes back to 6.2.

Any advice appreciated

Title
    Thanks
    No what you do is use Vix image manager, and flash online. You will get option to restore settings say yes, then restore plugins say yes.

Go menu setup vix, image manager, yellow to download lastest version, then blue to flash. Its that simple.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bmitie For This Useful Post:

aardvark5 (11-01-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmitie View Post
    No what you do is use Vix image manager, and flash online. You will get option to restore settings say yes, then restore plugins say yes.

Go menu setup vix, image manager, yellow to download lastest version, then blue to flash. Its that simple.
    Thanks for that, so it updates what you've already got with 6.3.
    Excellent.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark5 View Post
    Thanks for that, so it updates what you've already got with 6.3.
    Excellent.
    It's not an update. It's a completely new image, a reflash of your box which doesn't affect recordings or whatever you have stored on your disk. Before the flash it performs a settings backup to disk and notes any plugins you have installed. After it reboots it will ask if you wish to restore your settings and any plugins.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

aardvark5 (11-01-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    It's not an update. It's a completely new image, a reflash of your box which doesn't affect recordings or whatever you have stored on your disk. Before the flash it performs a settings backup to disk and notes any plugins you have installed. After it reboots it will ask if you wish to restore your settings and any plugins.
    Thanks for that.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Avoid FACTORY RESET as it can screw box up and as above.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

aardvark5 (11-01-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Factory reset clears settings and provides no advantage as the re-flash clears everything in flash anyway.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

aardvark5 (11-01-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Bugger, nothing goes right for me.
    At 12:30pm I created a full backup just in case.
    I have now flashed 3 times from inside Image Manager and when my machine reboots it takes me to the screens where you first put an image on - setup display, internet etc.
    Nowhere have I seen an option asking if I want to restore my settings

UPDATE
    it did it on the 5th time
    Last edited by aardvark5; 11-01-23 at 15:43.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    You need to make a settings backup with Backup Manager from a fully working system and then flash a new image and restore.

Best thing is to restore your full image backup and then make a settings backup and then flash the new image.
    Willo
    #######################
    AX HD61 4K UHD Twin (test box)
    Vu+ Uno 4K SE
    Edision OS Mio 4K
    Zgemma H9 Twin
    Vu+ Zero 4K
    Vu+ Uno 4K
    GT-Sat GT-S3DCSS24 Unicable II LNB
    GT-Sat GT-dLNB1-DY Unicable II LNB
    #######################

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    You need to make a settings backup with Backup Manager from a fully working system and then flash a new image and restore.

Best thing is to restore your full image backup and then make a settings backup and then flash the new image.
    It's all working after the 5th flash.
    I've now made a backup of a full image and my backup file.

Title
    Thanks
    The ImageManager does a settings backup by default when you use it to flash a downloaded image. There's no actual need to make a separate backup beforehand, but "belt & braces"

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark5 View Post
    Bugger, nothing goes right for me.
    At 12:30pm I created a full backup just in case.
    I have now flashed 3 times from inside Image Manager and when my machine reboots it takes me to the screens where you first put an image on - setup display, internet etc.
    Nowhere have I seen an option asking if I want to restore my settings

UPDATE
    it did it on the 5th time
    I know you've sorted it, but the first boot after the flash should detect a backup file, unless it's in some non-standard location. Did you use the ImageManager to flash the download? It should/would have done a backup before the flash if you used it.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    His other thread today had a storage device issue. So if there was an issue with storage device, the settings backup would not have been made to the device. If the device is not detected at reboot, following flashing an image, the restore option is not offered either.

Anyway, it is done now.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

cactikid (12-01-23),Joe_90 (11-01-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    The ImageManager does a settings backup by default when you use it to flash a downloaded image. There's no actual need to make a separate backup beforehand, but "belt & braces"
    It didn't do it the first 4 times, don't know why, I was even looking on FTP and there wasn't one there.

Title
    Thanks
    @abu indicated that you maybe had issues with a storage device/disk. It would explain why the settings backup wasn't made beforehand or wasn't detected afterwards.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast