Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Can IMDB query show if a show is a repeat??

Title
    Thanks

Can IMDB query show if a show is a repeat??

I know this is a big ask and I expect I will be told to go and program the IMDB to do this myself (which I can't as I am not capable enough) but I wondered if there was any way the IMDB code could be tweaked to get the latest series date so the end user can know if a show is a repeat or a brand new series.

When looking at the guide it is not possible to tell and it is a real pain sometimes not to know. I used to use an android app to check but even these have become totally unreliable.
    There is data in IMDB that tell you, for example, For tonights episode of Dragons Den (5th Jan 2023 on BBC 1 at 8pm) there is no indication that it is a new series. A quick check on (what I thought) was a reliable android app indicated its a repeat. Further delving on IMDB shows that it is, in fact, a new series (20) episode 1. First Aired 5th Jan 2023.

e.g.

2023-01-05 13_53_42-Dragons' Den (TV Series 2005– ) - IMDb.jpg

I did try to look at he PY code and tried to call up the URL it seems to be using so I could see if the data was easy to identify but it gave me an Amazon AWS login prompt so I could go no further.

For me it would make life Sooooooo much better and for the right guru who can code in PY it would likely be pretty simple.

Thanks kind people :-)

Paul

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Don't know about code from IMDB to display that but what sometimes would happen is the channel would prefix any new series with "New:". However, this I suspect is upto each Channel provider

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlandox View Post
    Hi Yes that is the place. I assume that the Next Episode bit is the next new 1st release rather than the next time a repeat is to be shown on some random channel. The "New" prefix is sometimes there in the guides (EPG) but is it is so hit and miss. Also, BBC rarely show the prefix "New".

If you look at a series that is never going to have a new episode then the little box (as in the image above for "Dragon's Den") does not appear. e.g. for Inspector Morse You cannot see the popup appear as you can with Dragons Den. Also in the series details you can see the date of all the series' with the last series at the top of the list with its (I assume 1st) broadcast date. e.g. Browse Seasons > xx Episodes > Select All from the drop down box, shows the latest season first and its associated broadcast date:
    2023-01-06 10_17_45-Window.jpg

If you compare that to Dragons Den it also shows the last broadcast date (or the next broadcast date) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443370...es?ref_=tt_eps :
    2023-01-06 10_22_01-Window.jpg

None of this detail is on the scraping in the plugin on OpenVIX (or any other image I guess) which is such a shame as it is some of the most useful information I feel.

Thanks
    Paul
    Last edited by smipx; 06-01-23 at 11:27.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    The search is done based on the title. How do you suggest we get the episode when doing a search.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    The search is done based on the title. How do you suggest we get the episode when doing a search.
    Once a title is clicked on it takes you into a detail page. It was on this page that I would hope to be able to see all the information for that particular title. In that information page and details page the information on the next new episode does not exisit.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smipx View Post
    In that information page and details page the information on the next new episode does not exisit.
    If it doesn't exist what are you suggesting?

Title
    Thanks
    I DOES EXIST - I have shown that it exists in IMDB
    It is not parsed and presented in the IMDB plugin that is all.
    I was hoping that someone might be able to catch the field and present it in the output of the plugin.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm just quoting your post where it says it doesn't.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    I suggest you open an issue on enigma2-plugins repository so the author of the plugin can respond.
    https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/issues

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    I suggest you open an issue on enigma2-plugins repository so the author of the plugin can respond.
    https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins/issues
    I have done that Huevos. Hopefully it will be condered a useful enhancement and be considered :-) https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigm...ins/issues/576
    Paul

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smipx View Post
    I have done that Huevos. Hopefully it will be condered a useful enhancement and be considered :-) https://github.com/oe-alliance/enigm...ins/issues/576
    Paul
    Well I did log it but its been 2 weeks an no-one has even viewed it on github let alone assigned or accepted or rejected it. I guess it might be a non-starter :-(

14. The Following User Says Thank You to smipx For This Useful Post:

Huevos (19-01-23)