Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Hdd and SSd issues

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Hdd and SSd issues

Externally powered Hdd in a caddy has failed as box was frozen and Hdd spinning and cannot see it.

Removed box and opened it up and stuck in a 1TB SSD i bought and never used as is not seen in storage.

Is it critical for screws to be secured to frame to work?

At this moment just the internal ssd to get it working San Disk.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    SSD (or HDD) is not powered trough screws.Only by connection cable.
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Not sure if this SSD was in there before and not worked but when it did not work i wondered on grounding on the screws was the issue.
    Might be time to remove it and check on external connection then.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Anybody have an internal photo of SSD connected to board in case its wrong . Cheers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    SSD is connected just as a HDD : the upper connectors :

Code:
    https://www.techkings.org/threads/zgemma-h7.121544/page-10
    better view :
    Code:
    https://www.parabola.cz/clanky/6466/zgemma-h7s-rychly-levny-combo-uhd-prijimac-s-podporou-dvb-s2x-a-multistreamu/
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bellejt For This Useful Post:

cactikid (03-01-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The better view worked as it the second white socket i was plugged into and now plugged into the correct one and showing Storage.
    When eyesight gets bad anything can happen .Cheers M8.

Now i went to see to do a backup on SSD when up crops loads of previous backups but on my ET 10000 which i found very odd as usually stored on HDD that was on external drive and removed for this moment to set up SSD.??
    Last edited by cactikid; 03-01-23 at 14:23.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

bellejt (03-01-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Using TRIM on an SSD in an OpenViX box.

If you wish to use an SSD, you should ideally enable TRIM on it to get the maximum life and speed out of it.
    If it's formatted as ext4 (which it will be if openViX has formatted it) you can use the command
    Code:
    sudo tune2fs -o discard /dev/sda1
    (where /dev/sda1 is your ext4 partition) to mark the partition to be mounted with the discard option, which will mean that TRIM happens automatically as allocation blocks are freed.
    This should cause no problem with newer SSDs, but with older types it might slow things down too much.

You can use
    Code:
    sudo tune2fs -o -discard /dev/sda1
    to remove the option if it causes any problems.

I think tune2fs is included in the OpenViX image by default but if I'm wrong you can install it using
    Code:
    opkg install e2fsprogs
    If you are reformatting an old SSD to use in your OpenViX box you should manually trim it after formatting it as ext4. Use
    Code:
    fstrim -v /media/hdd
    where /media/hdd is the mount point of your ext4 partition.

If you have problems with using discard to TRIM "as you go" you can do fstrim at intervals instead, either manually or automatically.
    I guess a cron job would be as good as anything to automate this, I don't know if there is any other way built in to the Linux in OpenViX.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianG61UK For This Useful Post:

cactikid (06-01-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG61UK View Post
    If you have problems with using discard to TRIM "as you go" you can do fstrim at intervals instead, either manually or automatically.
    I guess a cron job would be as good as anything to automate this, I don't know if there is any other way built in to the Linux in OpenViX.
    Doing it once a week, rather than on every delete, is the recommended way to do it (at least on Ubuntu distros).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you wish to use an SSD, you should ideally enable TRIM on it to get the maximum life and speed out of it.
    If it's formatted as ext4 (which it will be if openViX has formatted it) you can use the command
    Code:
    sudo tune2fs -o discard /dev/sda1
    (where /dev/sda1 is your ext4 partition) to mark the partition to be mounted with the discard option, which will mean that TRIM happens automatically as allocation blocks are freed.
    This should cause no problem with newer SSDs, but with older types it might slow things down too much.

You can use
    Code:
    sudo tune2fs -o -discard /dev/sda1
    to remove the option if it causes any problems.

I think tune2fs is included in the OpenViX image by default but if I'm wrong you can install it using
    Code:
    opkg install e2fsprogs
    If you are reformatting an old SSD to use in your OpenViX box you should manually trim it after formatting it as ext4. Use
    Code:
    fstrim -v /media/hdd
    where /media/hdd is the mount point of your ext4 partition.

Setting up box on new image and SSD is new as bought a while ago and never thought it was the wrong socket i had it into and openvix setup on box and on newer images one does not see ext 3 as ext4 is automatic and mounted.

At a latter date i might check out external HDD to see why it vanished as its was spinning.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Doing it once a week, rather than on every delete, is the recommended way to do it (at least on Ubuntu distros).
    Yes.

But it also depends on how the SSD implements TRIM.
    SATA 3.1 or later includes a queued TRIM command, so the SSD can to some extent schedule TRIMs to action without causing long delays.

My thinking is that small delays will likely not cause problems to OpenViX (disruption of recording or playback), while an automated weekly TRIM, which is likely to be a much larger, will probably be more likely to cause a problem.

I tried both ways and neither seemed to cause problems with the SSD I'm using, which I think probably does implement queued TRIM, though being "DRAM-less" it may have a shortish queue length.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianG61UK For This Useful Post:

cactikid (07-01-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Actually, it just dawned on me, this thread is possibly about a USB connected SSD and, as I understand it, it's rather indeterminate whether a USB to SATA adapter or box will support TRIM commands, some do and some don't.
    Zgemma H7S, Fixed 28.2°E dish, Freeview (Hannington). ABM Providers: [Sky UK; Thames Valley SD Custom; HD swap], [Freeview (UK); Berks and North Hants]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianG61UK For This Useful Post:

cactikid (08-01-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Actually, it just dawned on me, this thread is possibly about a USB connected SSD and, as I understand it, it's rather indeterminate whether a USB to SATA adapter or box will support TRIM commands, some do and some don't.
    No the external Hdd was by usb and externally powered as in a caddy.

My new SSD is now enclosed inside box and connected to correct port due to bad eyesight

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

BrianG61UK (25-01-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    And some that do work need to have udev rules added "by hand" to get it to work.
    Plus Ubuntu 22.10 has a bug which means that some which used to work by default no longer do.

Code:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/konsole/+bug/1998543
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

20. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

BrianG61UK (25-01-23)