Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Unicable assistance from Australia !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Unicable assistance from Australia !

Hi all and if so HNY!

Out here in the start of Summer it is mid 30's °C on the roof already and I have a new OS MIO+ 4K and Unicable to get this elusive OPTUS D1 satellite with all the ABC/ SBS (Australian Public FTA broadcasters) lined up after an interval of 5 years without, interim we have had to use the beastly VAST, pay for access (sort of) not all services available and a 3 second channel change delay on a good day.

Australia is a big place, there are feeds for every time zone on D1 and as we are a Sheep Station, well inland, it is handy to come in late and record/ watch something from an interstate feed which can be 1hr ahead, ½hr, 1hr, 1½hrs or 2hrs behind our Eastern time Zone, yes five time zones when horrid DST is enabled and three time zones for the disabled DST six months.

The satellite is over head 11° East and has a low signal because the broadcasting sites where it is designed for have typically 4M+ rx dishes, BUT all TP's here are within 2% RSQ.

So, I have a 1.5M PF (prime focus) from Australia's first system in the 1970's called HACBSS (Homestead and Community Broadcasting Satellite Service) which was connected to a B-MAC decoder from Scientific Atlanta ! (I still have the decoder and it was the first sold in this area).

Anyway essay over, time moves on and multistream comes to D1 in 2017, so our DUO 2 can't sit with that, but the Edision now can. (More later/ in the MIO+ 4k thread, wrt).

From the PF dish I get fairly good stable results of about 85% signal quality.

On another I have a 1M with a new GT-SAT GT S1dCSS24 Unicable LNB from WOS, fed with low loss quad shield foam ½" 75Ω.

When I connect to the (GT-SAT GT S1dCSS24) legacy port on D1 the Edision gives stable and better quality than the PF as its NF is 0.3dB whilst the GT-SAT LNB is 0.1dB, which is rare here for LNB's and cannot be bought/ found in Australia at that low figure.

However when I use the Unicable port and set the Edision to what I reckon are the correct choices (see following images), the signal pulses in and out, from 88% to 0% all the time, with a sequence of six seconds.

So at 0s = 88%, 3s = 40%, 6s = 0% RSQ ! Over and over on a loop (have I said something there?).

There is a Telstra approved/ branded 700mHZ cell extender antenna along from the Unicable dish, but turning it off doesn't improve the behaviour.

I am sure there will be instruction (to novice) from the big KB which is VIX/ WOS !!

Single_PF_screenshot_20230102145012.jpg
    PF x 0.3dB single LNB stable service

LNB_Config_20230102150116.jpg
    Change to Unicable LNB

Unicable_Peak_20230102150229.jpg
    Unicable peak signal

Unicable_Trough_20230102150229.jpg
    6 Seconds later low signal
    Last edited by Aust-VAST; 02-01-23 at 07:37.
    --

"corporate greed and chemicals are killin' the land" Neil Young - Greendale 2004.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,892 Times in 2,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust-VAST View Post
    Hi all and if so HNY!

Out here in the start of Summer it is mid 30's °C on the roof already and I have a new OS MIO+ 4K and Unicable to get this elusive OPTUS D1 satellite with all the ABC/ SBS (Australian Public FTA broadcasters) lined up after an interval of 5 years without, interim we have had to use the beastly VAST, pay for access (sort of) not all services available and a 3 second channel change delay on a good day.

Australia is a big place, there are feeds for every time zone on D1 and as we are a Sheep Station, well inland, it is handy to come in late and record/ watch something from an interstate feed which can be 1hr ahead, ½hr, 1hr, 1½hrs or 2hrs behind our Eastern time Zone, yes five time zones when horrid DST is enabled and three time zones for the disabled DST six months.

The satellite is over head 11° East and has a low signal because the broadcasting sites where it is designed for have typically 4M+ rx dishes, BUT all TP's here are within 2% RSQ.

So, I have a 1.5M PF (prime focus) from Australia's first system in the 1970's called HACBSS (Homestead and Community Broadcasting Satellite Service) which was connected to a B-MAC decoder from Scientific Atlanta ! (I still have the decoder and it was the first sold in this area).

Anyway essay over, time moves on and multistream comes to D1 in 2017, so our DUO 2 can't sit with that, but the Edision now can. (More later/ in the MIO+ 4k thread, wrt).

From the PF dish I get fairly good stable results of about 85% signal quality.

On another I have a 1M with a new GT-SAT GT S1dCSS24 Unicable LNB from WOS, fed with low loss quad shield foam ½" 75Ω.

When I connect to the (GT-SAT GT S1dCSS24) legacy port on D1 the Edision gives stable and better quality than the PF as its NF is 0.3dB whilst the GT-SAT LNB is 0.1dB, which is rare here for LNB's and cannot be bought/ found in Australia at that low figure.

However when I use the Unicable port and set the Edision to what I reckon are the correct choices (see following images), the signal pulses in and out, from 88% to 0% all the time, with a sequence of six seconds.

So at 0s = 88%, 3s = 40%, 6s = 0% RSQ ! Over and over on a loop (have I said something there?).

There is a Telstra approved/ branded 700mHZ cell extender antenna along from the Unicable dish, but turning it off doesn't improve the behaviour.

I am sure there will be instruction (to novice) from the big KB which is VIX/ WOS !!

Single_PF_screenshot_20230102145012.jpg
    PF x 0.3dB single LNB stable service

LNB_Config_20230102150116.jpg
    Change to Unicable LNB

Unicable_Peak_20230102150229.jpg
    Unicable peak signal

Unicable_Trough_20230102150229.jpg
    6 Seconds later low signal
    Try a different userband, in case there is interference from some where. My mio4k likes a really good signal on unicable …. Also takes (long) time to lock, but usually stable once locked.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Aust-VAST (04-01-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thank you for the reply and I have tried all 24 userands and it behaves the same.

Also I have a second one GT S3dCSS24 with the same result when I try.

Actually as we have satellite Internet here on Ku I thought 'aha' that would be it but alas turning it off for a few minutes didn't improve anything.

Also turned off our 4G LTE 700mHZ modem without benefit.

'twas but worth a try !
    --

"corporate greed and chemicals are killin' the land" Neil Young - Greendale 2004.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Try a different userband, in case there is interference from some where. My mio4k likes a really good signal on unicable …. Also takes (long) time to lock, but usually stable once locked.
    Thank you for the reply, also I have the satelliteequipmentcontrol plugin have adjusted the 'Unicable delay after enable voltage switch command' and have adjusted the choices from low to high but it hasn't improved the result.

So for now it is back to legacy mode and have pretty good results there at least.
    --