Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Strange issue with CEC / HDMI control, Sony AV Amp & OpenVix

Title
    Thanks

Strange issue with CEC / HDMI control, Sony AV Amp & OpenVix

// GigaBlue UED 4K / OpenVix
    // Sony STR-DN1080 AV amp
    // Samsung QE43Q60 TV
    // Connected via HDMI/ARC.

With all the equipment in standby, I power on the amp, TV & Gigablue box. Everything works fine for about a minute but then the amp stops showing the video signal from the GigaBlue and switches to its "Home" interface (basically the dashboard screen for step, source selection etc). From there I need to select Watch > Sat/CATV to reselect the HDMI input that the GigaBlue is connected to. After that point, everything is ok until the next time I switch the amp, tv & box to standby when the same thing happens.

I did some investigating with the amp's settings and found that turning off CEC in its "Control for HDMI" settings stops this problem from happening. BUT if I do this, then whenever I use the TV's inbuilt iPlayer, the amp's audio doesn't get switched to the TV's via HDMI/ARC and sound just comes through the tv's speaker, hot the amp.

Switching CEC back to ON at the amp resolves the issue with audio from the TV/iPlayer but then we're back to square one with the amp deciding to drop the video signal from the GigaBlue after a minute and me needing to reselect its HDMI input every time.

I'm now out of ideas and have exhausted my understanding - does this situation make sense to anyone else / can anyone think of something I can try so that the amp doesn't stop showing video from the GigaBlue but audio behaves properly from the TV's iPlayer?

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    “ With all the equipment in standby, I power on the amp, TV & Gigablue box“ how do you do that - what sequence??
    Post debugs logs - 1)going into standby 2) power up to power down
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    [QUOTE
    Post debugs logs - 1)going into standby 2) power up to power down[/QUOTE]

Where can I find these please? Happy to ssh to the box.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveharman View Post
    [QUOTE
    Post debugs logs - 1)going into standby 2) power up to power down
    Where can I find these please? Happy to ssh to the box.[/QUOTE]
    Menu/setup/system/logs/settings - change to not flash(preferably HDD), local time (!), show in extensions … then short press blue button, log manager, red button, shows logs.
    Ftp to your PC and post (unzipped ) here (don‘t cut & paste)… go advanced to attach(bottom left)
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    I have a Samsung TV and Sony DN1060 amp. I have had a similar issue going back years - enabling HDMI control on the Sony allows audio playback from the TV on the amp speakers, but caused issues with detection of various input devices including my GB Quad Plus and my Kodi media box. I couldn't resolve it satisfactorily, so I switched off HDMI control on the Sony and put up with the fact that I now can't get audio from the TV through the amp speakers. All my other input devices (Blu-Ray player, Kodi box, GB Quad+) play back satisfactorily and automatically switch my Samsung TV into HDMI mode. I think that this is a known issue with Sony AVRs, but if you can resolve it, then it would be a useful addition to the knowledge base! I'll keep an eye on this thread, but can't assist in fault finding at the moment as I'm away from home.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Apologies for the delay in replying @twol @joe_90 - I wanted to make sure my box was on the latest OpenVix, to rule out the fact I hadn't updated it for about a year! ;-) I am now on Openvix 6.3.002.

Initially, after upgrading it was the same issue - with HDMI Control set to "ON" on the Sony AVR 1080, the GigaBlue would wake from standby, show picture & sound for around a minute and then the Sony would drop to its Home/Input select screen and I needed to reselect the SAT/CATV HDMI input where the Gigablue is connected. I tested iPlayer with HDMI Control set to "ON" on the Sony and that worked fine (as expected). Setting HDMI Control to "OFF" on the Sony meant the GigaBlue worked fine but iPlayer didn't send sound to the amp - i.e; this is the issue in my first post.

Boo... :-(

However. Hunting around in the Openvix settings to see if there was anything new as part of the update to 6.3.002 I noticed on Menu >Setup that there is an entry for HDMI-CEC. I'm not sure if this option is new or I just never spotted before it as I'd be trying to resolve my audio/video problem in settings in Menu > Setup > Audio & Video but my box had Menu > Setup > HDMI-CEC > Enabled > NO !

I have now changed Menu > Setup > HDMI-CEC > Enabled > YES and things are working properly on the GigaBlue AND the Samsung TV's iPlayer switches the Sony AVR and sends audio to it!

I'm not sure if this has any relationship to your issue @joe_90 ? Might be worth a check. Now if only I could manage to pair our Alexa with the Sony my A/V life would be complete.... :-)

Cheers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    @steveharman - thanks for the update. I had enabled HDMI-CEC on the GB Quad at the time, but I think it was the presence of another box (media player) also on HDMI that was confusing the Sony and Samsung combination. I use HDMI-CEC quite satisfactorily on my AX61 and Mutant HD51 boxes, but these are directly connected to TVs over HDMI. It's not such an issue for the GB Quad as it is connected directly to the Samsung TV over component video as it's a simpler option for the other half as she doesn't need or want the complication of using the Sony amp for surround sound!
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers