Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: SAMBA - Can't Start After 6.2 Upgrade

Title
    Thanks

SAMBA - Can't Start After 6.2 Upgrade

I just upgraded to OpenVix 6.2 from 5.4 (a bit late to the party, I know), however following the upgrade I haven't been able to get SAMBA to work. It's installed and is set to Autostart, but its never on and I'm at a loss what to do, to get it to work.

I've search a few posts on the forum and have followed what was listed here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clemente View Post
    Finally.... yes! Solved. Really THANKS to all of you, following your suggestion going on via telnet this problem was solved.
    This is EXACTLY what I done step-by-step to update from 5.3.039 to 5.4.001.
    1) Blue > Vix > Image manager > Yellow (Downloads).
    2) After downloading, installing and rebooting, at Welcome message I restored my settings.
    3) Having restored, network was just configured. So, from telnet (PUTTY) I choose my new Openvix password (mandatory, as you said, from this version), then I typed "opkg update", all packages was updated successfully.
    4) Menu > Setup > Network > Utilities > Samba: I installed this service, too.
    5) After reboot, again Menu > Setup > Network > Utilities > Samba, and I checked both options:
    Autostart = Enabled, Current status = Running.
    After all these steps Samba was running and the box was finally recognized from Windows like in previous Openvix versions.
    Hope this could help other users. Thank you very much for all your support. I believe that support (not only image quality) is one of the strongest point of Openvix. Other images are good, but support is often so poor.... I just trashed more than one image for this. Here it is different: image is GREAT, and support is GREAT too. Thanks!
    However the above still doesn't work for me. I'm wondering if anybody has any other ideas?

To confirm, I have set a Network password for my box and can access the web interface of my work using a browser.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    Do a search of the forum for:

disable netbios

You need something like:

disable netbios=0

In smb-user.conf under global.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Do a search of the forum for:

disable netbios

You need something like:

disable netbios=0

In smb-user.conf under global.
    What's the easiest way I can access and modify this file considering that SAMBA is the main way I've been previously been gaining access to my box?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Isn't this the problem of V5.4 settings backup restoring something that samba that 6.x doesn't like? https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...openvix-6-0-01
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

cactikid (15-12-22)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    When i could not use samba i added NFS and got a second way into box like Samba and mounted them in there also.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you're comfortable with vi and the Linux command line you could just telnet or ssh in and edit the file in place on your box.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    WinSCP would be an easy way for Windows users to copy files in and out. (Choose SCP protocol, not SFTP)

Notepad++ is a good Windows editor that will read a Linux text file and leave it as a Linux text file after you have edited it.
    Last edited by BrianG61UK; 15-12-22 at 03:27.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Isn't this the problem of V5.4 settings backup restoring something that samba that 6.x doesn't like? https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...openvix-6-0-01
    Thank you for sharing this thread - I managed to resolve this issue by doing the following:
    1) Flashing 6.2 from 5.4
    2) Restoring settings on 6.2 from my 5.4 backup
    3) Removing/Uninstalling SAMBA
    4) Creating a new backup on 6.2
    5) Flashing 6.2 again
    6) Restoring settings from my 6.2 backup
    7) Creating a password for my box from Network/Utilities
    8) Adding/Installing SAMBA

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KuchKuch For This Useful Post:

adm (15-12-22),twol (15-12-22),Valiant (16-12-22)