Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourites EPG creation

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Does the ET8500 only have one tuner?

Personally, I wouldn't use those face plates. A 4 gang box with separate f connections or even individual modules would be better. The looping could be done directly inside. F plugs would be far better than the way you have screwed them in. Your problem may even be the shared connection plate with router.

You have not explicitly mentioned switching off all receivers and testing one at a time, there is a weird fault with Sky LNBs when that only happens when more than one port is used. Swappibg the cables on LNB end is another test.

You could connect the 28.2 wire to the Vu, then use the Xtrend in client mode. You then avoid using the cabling to Xtrend apart from ethernet.

Edit:
    I have a feeling the cable shown dotted in red dose not allow transponders at higher frequencies.
    Virgin cable is of a very good quality. They cant afford to install using poor quality cable and come back because of signal issue. As above, bypass the face plate and use f-plugs. If it is still the cable, more likely the kinks and quality of connections on face plates. You have two really bad kinks in one of your pictures.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

cactikid (24-12-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Does the ET8500 only have one tuner?

Personally, I wouldn't use those face plates. A 4 gang box with separate f connections or even individual modules would be better. The looping could be done directly inside. F plugs would be far better than the way you have screwed them in. Your problem may even be the shared connection plate with router.

You have not explicitly mentioned switching off all receivers and testing one at a time, there is a weird fault with Sky LNBs when that only happens when more than one port is used. Swappibg the cables on LNB end is another test.

You could connect the 28.2 wire to the Vu, then use the Xtrend in client mode. You then avoid using the cabling to Xtrend apart from ethernet.

Edit:

Virgin cable is of a very good quality. They cant afford to install using poor quality cable and come back because of signal issue. As above, bypass the face plate and use f-plugs. If it is still the cable, more likely the kinks and quality of connections on face plates. You have two really bad kinks in one of your pictures.

Hi
    Yes all recivers and tvs were switched off and tested one at a time on all cables individually.

I will try swaping the cables over at LNB end.

I can try haveing the face plates changed for 4 gang box with seperate 'f' connectors, but is that not similar to what i have by using 2 x twin connecing face plate boxes?

I understand looping to extend the network can be done internally i assume thats using a splice connetor/adaoptor to directly connect to cables together?

I thought what Im using are F plugs?

I will see if I can get the router and saterlite face plate/box seperated just incase there is interfearence.

What is ment by using the Xtrend reciver in client mode?

I should metioned on post 15 that when using the built in Sat tunner in my smart TV in front or rear rooms they do not pic up transponders in the upper frequency range for example ITVLondon HD 12363V, I assume thats becaue they are only basic recivers with limitations unlike linux boxes.
    Last edited by ALIEN1X; 26-12-22 at 20:08. Reason: typo

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Client mode can be used on a box with no sat or other feeds but needs lan connection [ box ip from another E2 box on your network ]

It uses a tuner on sat say your using a 4 sat tuner input for various sat feeds on your main box and entering this box ip on other box you stream and can control what you view on the non sat connected through your lan setup.

You are switching off your tuner settings and using client mode on box with no feeds.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (02-01-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Cables do not perform well if crushed, often when bent sharply in back boxes. Try see what happens if you loosen the faceplates for your inter-room cable to perhaps remove any sharp bends behind the faceplate. A crushed or sharply bent cable may/will only affect certain frequencies, and not others.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIEN1X View Post

I can try haveing the face plates changed for 4 gang box with seperate 'f' connectors, but is that not similar to what i have by using 2 x twin connecing face plate boxes?

Make your own faceplates

Buy a couple of blank faceplates from any electrical supplier - example
    Code:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-blanking-plate-white/65793

Drill two holes in each

Screw in some F barrel connectors - example (just make sure that when purchased they include the nuts - some sellers do not advertise with nuts because these barrel connectors can be used for other types of cable joining where the nuts are unused)

Code:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352804014183
    Fit F plugs to the wires currently behind you existing faceplates and screw into the barrel connectors in your DIY faceplates

Code:
    http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/reference/resources/multiple-outlet-plates.pdf
    Why your unscreened wall-plates are not recommended (note: Satcure no longer trade but have left their information web pages up)
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wall_plates.htm
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (26-12-22)

Title
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=ALIEN1X;529812]

I understand looping to extend the network can be done internally I assume that's using a splice connector/adaptor to directly connect to cables together?
    Which network are you talking about? I was referring to ethernet cables that are connected to the receivers/router. You cannot splice/split them

I thought what Im using are F plugs?
    You are at the end. But you have some f-face plates that are dubious. And some really bad connections. Look at your picture SAM_8217. Shocking!

I should mentioned on post 15 that when using the built in Sat tunner in my smart TV in front or rear rooms they do not pic up transponders in the upper frequency range for example ITV London HD 12363V, I assume that's because they are only basic receivers with limitations unlike linux boxes.
    Your diagram did not show satellite tuner in your front room. Until you have good connections between your cables, you are in guessing mode and clutching at straws. If you are using the TVs in Freesat mode, they should just work. There should be no limitation.

What is meant by using the Xtrend receiver in client mode?
    I am suggesting that in the interim, you do not use the tuner/cabling to the xtrend. Just use the ethernet cable and use the tuner in the Vu+. I.e remove a variable. We assumed everything is working fine up to the back room.
    See here: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...-build-5-0-013

Unless comfortable, please ignore it.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    Client mode can be used on a box with no sat or other feeds but needs lan connection [ box ip from another E2 box on your network ]

It uses a tuner on sat say your using a 4 sat tuner input for various sat feeds on your main box and entering this box ip on other box you stream and can control what you view on the non sat connected through your lan setup.

You are switching off your tuner settings and using client mode on box with no feeds.
    So 2 sat boxes are needed, one acting as server with active tuners providng the feed and a client sat box where you do not use the in built tuner but rely on the ethernet cable to stream the feed for the server?
    An they both have to be E2 boxes runing vix?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ALIEN1X For This Useful Post:

cactikid (27-12-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Cables do not perform well if crushed, often when bent sharply in back boxes. Try see what happens if you loosen the faceplates for your inter-room cable to perhaps remove any sharp bends behind the faceplate. A crushed or sharply bent cable may/will only affect certain frequencies, and not others.

Make your own faceplates

Buy a couple of blank faceplates from any electrical supplier - example
    Code:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-blanking-plate-white/65793

Drill two holes in each

Screw in some F barrel connectors - example (just make sure that when purchased they include the nuts - some sellers do not advertise with nuts because these barrel connectors can be used for other types of cable joining where the nuts are unused)

Code:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352804014183
    Fit F plugs to the wires currently behind you existing faceplates and screw into the barrel connectors in your DIY faceplates

Code:
    http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/reference/resources/multiple-outlet-plates.pdf
    Why your unscreened wall-plates are not recommended (note: Satcure no longer trade but have left their information web pages up)
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wall_plates.htm
    Thanks I will look into this

Title
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=abu baniaz;529817]

Which network are you talking about? I was referring to ethernet cables that are connected to the receivers/router. You cannot splice/split them

You are at the end. But you have some f-face plates that are dubious. And some really bad connections. Look at your picture SAM_8217. Shocking!

Your diagram did not show satellite tuner in your front room. Until you have good connections between your cables, you are in guessing mode and clutching at straws. If you are using the TVs in Freesat mode, they should just work. There should be no limitation.

I am suggesting that in the interim, you do not use the tuner/cabling to the xtrend. Just use the ethernet cable and use the tuner in the Vu+. I.e remove a variable. We assumed everything is working fine up to the back room.
    See here: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...-build-5-0-013

Unless comfortable, please ignore it.
    Thanks I will have to look into all of this.The faceplate and wiring was done by electricians when they rewired the whole house around 4 yrs ago but I dont think they were competent when wiring data cables or coax

Title
    Thanks
    Here is a link to a screened dual face plate.

Code:
    https://www.toolstation.com/proception-screened-socket/p13270

https://www.toolstation.com/euro-module-tvsat-outlet/p64424

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    So 2 sat boxes are needed, one acting as server with active tuners providng the feed and a client sat box where you do not use the in built tuner but rely on the ethernet cable to stream the feed for the server?
    An they both have to be E2 boxes runing vix?
    I have only got E2 boxes and single tuner so i cannot comment if other boxes could or do offer it.
    I only use Vix

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Here is a link to a screened dual face plate.

Code:
    https://www.toolstation.com/proception-screened-socket/p13270

https://www.toolstation.com/euro-module-tvsat-outlet/p64424
    Thanks I was actually thinking of shielded version as my current ones are not

Title
    Thanks
    Just found out there are brushed faceplates where the cable just goes thru without any termination and just simply add a F barrell on the end.

which one has the least signal loss/interfearence - ' F barrell' thu wall conection or shieled faceplate?

Title
    Thanks
    Most people have f plugs and barrel connectors knocking around. Surely you would try the free option first? You can get those covers later.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi ,
    I have now changed the face plates both ends of the suspected coax cable for shielded ones and noticed a vast improvement and also picture quality too.
    I can no set up ABM as orignally asked.
    Although I get 817 - 826 channels as apposed 866, I noticed thats because of the kinks/exposed brading where it terminates at the plates which I have temporally taped with pvc tape.
    I noticed that when straighting out kinks there is imrprovement.At some point I will need to change the cable as im not missing that many channels, so for now it will do.

I thank everyone who contributed on this post, and sheiled wall plates is the way to go. Happy New Year.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi ,
    I have now changed the face plates both ends of the suspected coax cable for shielded ones and noticed a vast improvement and also picture quality too.
    I can no set up ABM as orignally asked.
    Although I get 817 - 826 channels as apposed 866, I noticed thats because of the kinks/exposed brading where it terminates at the plates which I have temporally taped with pvc tape.
    I noticed that when straighting out kinks there is imrprovement.At some point I will need to change the cable as im not missing that many channels, so for now it will do.

I thank everyone who contributed on this post, and sheiled wall plates is the way to go. Happy New Year.
    When changing the cable go for Webro WF100 with a foam dielectric which is less prone to crushing or kinking. Many suppliers on Ebay for shorter lengths. In your photo one of your cables has an air spaced dielectric.

The following article gives some insight to cable types but is perhaps 20+ years old and prices mentioned in the article are well out of date
    https://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/art...-quality.shtml
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (02-01-23)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast