Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice Needed Before Purchasing Equipment - Freesat, Freeview & Plex

Title
    Thanks
    Awesome thank you all. It sounds like I should probably get a device with 2 x DVB-T/T2 terrestrial tuners and a FBC Satellite tuner. That way I wouldn't have to worry about watching/recording at the same time.

Maybe I should consider just using Kodi for distributing channels to other smart devices then, as I wouldn't have to worry about fooling plex with complicated setups etc. Thanks for the heads up on this.

With a device such as the GiGaBlue UHD Quad 4K, with the Twin tuner DVB-C/ T2 module - would I need to physically split the signal from the aerial to both inputs, or can one input tune both multiplexes at the same time for viewing/recording?

Also I saw a mention that the Gigablue device can only do 'Multi-stream' when using the add-on satellite tuners, and not the built in ones. I will have to use the DVB-C/ T2 tuner add-on module, so I am not sure if not being able to 'Multi-stream' satellite channels will affect anything in terms of viewing/recording on both the box and on Kodi devices?

The VU+ Duo 4K SE looks like an amazing device, but with the tuners included it's approx. 120 pounds more expensive that the Gigablue model I had been leaning towards the Zgemma H7S, but with the single DVB-C/ T2 tuner I feel like I would regret not going either the VU+ or Gigablue route.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishEric View Post
    Awesome thank you all. It sounds like I should probably get a device with 2 x DVB-T/T2 terrestrial tuners and a FBC Satellite tuner. That way I wouldn't have to worry about watching/recording at the same time.

Maybe I should consider just using Kodi for distributing channels to other smart devices then, as I wouldn't have to worry about fooling plex with complicated setups etc. Thanks for the heads up on this.

With a device such as the GiGaBlue UHD Quad 4K, with the Twin tuner DVB-C/ T2 module - would I need to physically split the signal from the aerial to both inputs, or can one input tune both multiplexes at the same time for viewing/recording?

Also I saw a mention that the Gigablue device can only do 'Multi-stream' when using the add-on satellite tuners, and not the built in ones. I will have to use the DVB-C/ T2 tuner add-on module, so I am not sure if not being able to 'Multi-stream' satellite channels will affect anything in terms of viewing/recording on both the box and on Kodi devices?

The VU+ Duo 4K SE looks like an amazing device, but with the tuners included it's approx. 120 pounds more expensive that the Gigablue model I had been leaning towards the Zgemma H7S, but with the single DVB-C/ T2 tuner I feel like I would regret not going either the VU+ or Gigablue route.
    Personally (and I have both), the gbue4k is better value than the gbuhd4k unless you really need a larger lcd screen, esata connection and hdmi in.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (30-11-22),IrishEric (29-11-22)

Title
    Thanks
    How many channels to you want to watch / record at the same time - include channels watched and recorded by over devices connected?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JonMMM For This Useful Post:

IrishEric (29-11-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Personally (and I have both), the gbue4k is better value than the gbuhd4k unless you really need a larger lcd screen, esata connection and hdmi in.
    I am pretty certain I do not need any of those things, so I will check that model out! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JonMMM View Post
    How many channels to you want to watch / record at the same time - include channels watched and recorded by over devices connected?
    Realistically I would say a max of 2/3 channels being both watched/recorded at the same time. I guess they could be different channels on different multiplexes for Saorview, and possibly the same for Freesat. There's not many in the house that watch TV so the demand will be low, but I just want to future proof and not give myself restrictions in terms of watching/recording if that makes sense.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 883 Posts
    As regards Saorview connection - you just plug the aerial lead into one tuner, then you use a patch lead to connect tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in. Or use a splitter. If you're in a good signal area splitting the signal shouldn't cause an issue.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

IrishEric (30-11-22)

Title
    Thanks
    AFAIK USB tuners dont work on gigablue UE 4K so no terestial tuner

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMMM View Post
    AFAIK USB tuners dont work on gigablue UE 4K so no terestial tuner
    C/T2 tuners not available (they say Impex/GigaBlue) until March 1 2023(I guess China issue) - although one German company still has them on the list to order.

Whats the issue with USB - drivers??
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

IrishEric (30-11-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Whats the issue with USB - drivers??
    Driver change on 20180914. New Broadcom SDK. Maybe E2 needs to be adapted, maybe not.

https://github.com/GigaBlue-STB/meta-gigablue/issues/8
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...and-USB-tuners
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...ils-on-startup
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...rs-not-working

Title
    Thanks
    Just not something I can test. Only Sat around here
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Just something I am getting in the back of my mind - I could be wrong

Title
    Thanks
    Good to know about the GigaBlue DVB-C/T2 tuners not being in stock until March. I might still order the Gigablue UHD UE 4K in the meantime and use the built in DVB-S2X tuners for Freesat, and then order the DVB-C/T2 tuner module when it comes into stock.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys, much appreciated. I have gone ahead and ordered the aerial which I will be mounting high up on the gable wall, and connecting using the second wire of the twin satellite cable (with the other going to the Unicable LNB).

I think I should be pretty much sorted now with the following setup:

It's a bit more expensive than going the Zgemma H7S route with a standard LNB, but I think it should future proof things a little bit more and cause less headaches with running out of tuners etc.
    Last edited by IrishEric; 30-11-22 at 23:57.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    The FBC tuners are internally linked. So the splitter is not a requirement.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

IrishEric (01-12-22)

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for that detailed explanation. That makes a lot more sense to me now! I was wondering how people were managing with a single DVB-T tuner on many of these devices....

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gllenncross View Post
    Thank you very much for that detailed explanation. That makes a lot more sense to me now! I was wondering how people were managing with a single DVB-T tuner on many of these devices....
    What i have done on my Zgemma H7S on a Saorview feed into splitter and one goes to box and other to tv and if box needs to record i can view on tv as we have limited channels in Ireland.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,269 Posts
    Duo4kse with FBC satellite tuner and twin DVB-T2.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

cactikid (21-01-23)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12