Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: How Can I backup an external hard drive on TM5402

Title
    Thanks

How Can I backup an external hard drive on TM5402

Hi

I have an external WD passport hard drive with a lot of recordings on it. I want to back this up, in the event of the drive failing (this has happened on a different receiver, so don’t want it to happen again). When I plug the drive into my windows 10 computer, I see it allocates drive E for a couple of seconds then disappears. If I click on the drive to access it as soon as it appears I get “E: is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.”

I think when I got this drive initially, I just connected it straight to the TM5402. I didn’t connect it to a computer.

I have tried putting a memory stick into the USB port on the front of the receiver and using the menu to copy and paste the files from USB0 to USB1, but when I select the memory stick (Sandisk 256GB) and press paste, it just flashes the first file name up, disappears and then nothing. It hasn’t copied anything.

Can anyone help, how can I back up this drive?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurobuff View Post
    Hi

I have an external WD passport hard drive with a lot of recordings on it. I want to back this up, in the event of the drive failing (this has happened on a different receiver, so don’t want it to happen again). When I plug the drive into my windows 10 computer, I see it allocates drive E for a couple of seconds then disappears. If I click on the drive to access it as soon as it appears I get “E: is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.”
    What is the format of your external drive. If formatted by your box it will be formatted as Ext3/4 which is not a format recognised by native Windows 10/11.
    Search Google for something like "How to Access Linux EXT4 Partition and Data on Windows"

You could use a FTP program on you computer to first copy to the computers hard disk and then to your backup device.

If you enable SAMBA on your box it should be seen as a network device on your computer and you can drag/drop, copy/paste the files to your computer.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    What is the format of your external drive. If formatted by your box it will be formatted as Ext3/4 which is not a format recognised by native Windows 10/11.
    Search Google for something like "How to Access Linux EXT4 Partition and Data on Windows"

You could use a FTP program on you computer to first copy to the computers hard disk and then to your backup device.

If you enable SAMBA on your box it should be seen as a network device on your computer and you can drag/drop, copy/paste the files to your computer.
    The Technomate isn’t a Linux box? It did format the drive itself. I don’t have a SAMBA option on my Tm5402. I thought that the native format for Technomate for the non Linux was FAT32 which I would have thought windows read?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post

Strange thing. I plugged the drive into another PC and it just read it, so problem solved. Don’t know why the original PC wouldn’t read it though.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurobuff View Post
    Strange thing. I plugged the drive into another PC and it just read it, so problem solved.
    Not really.
    You've just got a different problem to the one you thought you had.
    Don’t know why the original PC wouldn’t read it though.
    I'd worry about that.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Eurobuff (09-11-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Not really.
    You've just got a different problem to the one you thought you had.
    I'd worry about that.
    ��
    Absolutely no idea with the PC. It’s refusing to do windows updates. It was downloading them getting to 99% install and then quits. I suspect the PC isnt up to it. It’s windows 8.1 updated to Windows 10. I think I need to sort my other satellite receiver out first though (on another post).