Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: My Wife doesn't like AutoTimers (and I'm not very keen) what else is there?

Title
    Thanks

Question My Wife doesn't like AutoTimers (and I'm not very keen) what else is there?

Hi guys,

Is there a "Series Link" type facility available anywhere in the Enigma world?

I'm not dead keen on AutoTimers and my wife says we can't have an Enigma box as our main machine if it can't Series Link.

It's really the only thing I have against Enigma machines, everything else is so customisable it's amazing, but I can't get past this one shortcoming.

Any ideas? Doesn't have to be box specific, I've had a Zgemma and a Mutant previously but am not running anything Enigma at the moment (Arris 4K Freesat box in case you're wondering).

Paul

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Autotimers are highly configurable. I've got autotimers that have been on my box for several years and they just record series after series.
    Willo
    #######################
    AX HD61 4K UHD Twin (test box)
    Vu+ Uno 4K SE
    Edision OS Mio 4K
    Zgemma H9 Twin
    Vu+ Zero 4K
    Vu+ Uno 4K
    GT-Sat GT-S3DCSS24 Unicable II LNB
    GT-Sat GT-dLNB1-DY Unicable II LNB
    #######################

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

cactikid (31-10-22),paulrichasrdson (01-11-22)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    Autotimers are highly configurable. I've got autotimers that have been on my box for several years and they just record series after series.
    Snap
    In some respects autotimers do more. You can use them to set timers for a whole series and if you don't delete them they will carry on for the next series in six months time and so on.

Series link using CRID data as used by many Freesat/Freeview/Sky branded boxes tends to work well on the main UK channels but on the lesser channels can fall over.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,941 Times in 3,265 Posts
    Openvix enigma has CRID built in but as far as I know there was not interface created.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    for Germany there was a plugin called Serienrecorder which worked with the web site https://www.wunschliste.de/main. The problem is that I do not know if it uses Python 3 and if it is working for foreign series.

btw. AutoTimer works like a charme if configured correctly.

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    btw. AutoTimer works like a charm if configured correctly.
    Ralf
    Thanks Ralf, it's the complexity of configuring AutoTimer that is off-putting but during my latest round of research I heard that there was a way to alter the configuration of AutoTimer so that it always uses your preferred settings, that might be helpful but not having a machine at the moment I can't experiment.

Unfortunately I seem to remember the same settings didn't work with all programs, especially ones that my wife watches such as Masterchef which is shown at different times and different days of the week and is also repeated at different times and days.

Sorry to be asking questions about a system that I don't have, but the shortcomings of the Arris box are a bit of a pain and I might be coming back to the fold.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    If you go into MENU > TIMERS > AUTOTIMERS you press the MENU button and you can edit the default settings.

1_0_19_1B1D_802_2_11A0000_0_0_0_20221101100541.jpg
    Willo
    #######################
    AX HD61 4K UHD Twin (test box)
    Vu+ Uno 4K SE
    Edision OS Mio 4K
    Zgemma H9 Twin
    Vu+ Zero 4K
    Vu+ Uno 4K
    GT-Sat GT-S3DCSS24 Unicable II LNB
    GT-Sat GT-dLNB1-DY Unicable II LNB
    #######################

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    If you go into MENU > TIMERS > AUTOTIMERS you press the MENU button and you can edit the default settings.

1_0_19_1B1D_802_2_11A0000_0_0_0_20221101100541.jpg
    Yes, set the defaults and then when you find a program in the EPG where you want to record all episodes (optionally excluding repeats*) you press one button to select Autotimers. You may have to untick a couple of options such as not to search at the same time of day (episodes may be at different times tomorrow/next week/next month) and the next screen will have all the options set as per your default configuration. You just press the green button to confirm those settings and then the autotimer goes away and does it's searching automatically in the EPG data for evermore until you delete it. For instance I have an autotimer configured to generate timers to record all F1 practices and races on CH4 HD. If I leave the autotimer not only will it find all races this season but next season and the one after as well - as long as it is still broadcast on CH4 HD**

So, after setting the defaults is only a few clicks on the remote to set an autotimer to record a series. It's very much like using the 100s of configuration options in Enigma/Vix, and any other box. Spend some time setting up the box to work in the way that you want it to but in day to day operation you may only press a couple of different buttons on the remote and not worry about how it is set up.

* Repeats are detected by checking the title and short description in the EPG being identical (or near identical). A previous recording is also checked in the same way as the title and short description also forms part of the recording. This detection can fall over on (mainly lesser) channels where the short description can the the same for every episodes but all this does is cause a minor annoyance by recording multiple copies of the same episode.

** Just before you confirm the screen to select all the defaults you can change one of the options to check for the program on more than one channel, or even all channels.
    Last edited by adm; 01-11-22 at 13:19.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    SeriesLink was also prepared for reading on opentv epg, but not implemented.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LraiZer View Post
    Wasn't there a discussion a few years back about series linking using CRID wasn't a common standard so what may work in the UK may not work elsewhere. From a dim recollection, UK and Australian, implementations would have to be different.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,941 Times in 3,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LraiZer View Post
    So how do we get it up and running?
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    So how do we get it up and running?
    Sounds like it would be an amazing step forward for OpenVix if it could be done.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,
    I'm back, after over a year of putting up with my Arris O/S I have sold it on and am presently using an old Humax.
    I wondered if there had been any advances on the Series Link via Crid implementation for UK Enigma machines.
    Paul

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrichasrdson View Post
    Hi guys,

Is there a "Series Link" type facility available anywhere in the Enigma world?

Autotimers perform a similar function.

Title
    Thanks
    If you get an enigma 2 box there is a steep learning curve but if you already know about flashing boxes then you are halfway there. Take it from me automtimer is series link. I have a swmbo who has kept me on my toes. The secret with automtimer is use the phrase PARTIAL match. Also, when you press epg buttton you get two choices on how to record, A. Add timer, records once, B. Blue button = automtimer record as series llink. As said above you can make loads of mods but for now mine is recording all the sopas, voice, strictly, celebrity etc.

Happy Xmas

To start on ENIGMA 2 get a zgemma h7s, 4 slots try 4 images.