Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Fibre optic distribution system in apartments

Title
    Thanks

Fibre optic distribution system in apartments

I recently moved into an apartment that uses a fibre optic distribution GTU box

https://www.gionlineshop.com/product...quad-gtu-mkiii

C68DAF3F-C6EB-4786-BDB7-3F0CC26C2569.jpg

The cables from this box are wired to each set of sockets in rooms around the apartment.

Is this compatible with Enigma 2 receivers? I can get it to work with a branded freesat box and my freesat compatible tv, but no matter which tuner settings I try in Openvix no channels are found.

Does anyone know if this can be done?

Title
    Thanks
    Im no expert... but it appear that is a quad lnb distribution box so all 4 outputs are equally horizontal/vertical switchable (as in a legacy normal quad satellite lnb) Best way to find out is to connect one of the outputs to an E2 satellite box and see what satellites (or disecq switched sateliites) are available. IE connect cable from one of 4 ports to Port A on E2 box then try an "automatic" detection of Port A. Just seen you may have already tried this... if that doesn't work maybe this system is a SKy Q or other LNB system and therefore you need a wideband/Sky Q type box to test it with.
    Last edited by johnhoe; 17-09-22 at 15:04.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    It should work on Enigma2 receivers. The label on it is obscuring the text. Does it say "QUAD GTU" or "Quattro GTU"? I am pretty sure it says "QUAD GTU", so my comments below are based on this.

The cables from this box are wired to each set of sockets in rooms around the apartment.
    How many sockets do you have in the apartment? You can have a total of four outputs on that output unit.

Are there any other units in between? Perhaps a DCSS switch as mentioned on the ofnl site.

The faceplate/socket that has the Enigma2 receiver, how many cables does it have from the distribution unit?

Which Enigma2 receiver are you using?
    How many tuners does it have? To avoid confusion, please post a picture/screenshot of the Menu > Information> Devices.

no matter which tuner settings I try in Openvix no channels are found
    Correct tuner config = what matches the reception equipment attached to tuner.

My understanding is that the four outputs from that distribution unit are just universal output. Each tuner connected to it (without any other splitters etc in between) should be set as simple, single, 28.2. Any tuners without a direct cable, should be set as: Disabled/not configured

So please confirm that the tuners are set correctly. (simple, single 28.2 for those with wires, disabled for those without). And also specify what scanning options you have used.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    It should work on Enigma2 receivers. The label on it is obscuring the text. Does it say "QUAD GTU" or "Quattro GTU"? I am pretty sure it says "QUAD GTU", so my comments below are based on this.

How many sockets do you have in the apartment? You can have a total of four outputs on that output unit.

Are there any other units in between? Perhaps a DCSS switch as mentioned on the ofnl site.

The faceplate/socket that has the Enigma2 receiver, how many cables does it have from the distribution unit?

Which Enigma2 receiver are you using?
    How many tuners does it have? To avoid confusion, please post a picture/screenshot of the Menu > Information> Devices.

Correct tuner config = what matches the reception equipment attached to tuner.

My understanding is that the four outputs from that distribution unit are just universal output. Each tuner connected to it (without any other splitters etc in between) should be set as simple, single, 28.2. Any tuners without a direct cable, should be set as: Disabled/not configured

So please confirm that the tuners are set correctly. (simple, single 28.2 for those with wires, disabled for those without). And also specify what scanning options you have used.
    Thanks for your reply and the useful information.

It is a quad GTU.

There are 3 sockets in the apartment in total. Each socket has two satellite connectors, one tv aerial connector and one DAB radio connector.

The enigma 2 receiver I am using is a Zgemma H7S, which has two DVB-S2X tuners and one DVB-C/T2 tuner. Interestingly I can pick up freeview channels on the box but not satellite channels.

There is no other visible hardware between the GTU unit and the sockets in the rooms. The cables running from the GTU box disappear into the wall of the cupboard where it is located, so I suppose it is possible that there could be a switch or something else connected out of sight but I can't see anything.

I have tried setting tuner A and B in Openvix to 28.2 simple single and performed all types of scans: automatic, blind, autobouquetsmaker set to 28.2, I even tried the signal finder with known working transponders on 28.2. All show no signal found.

So at this stage, I suspect it has to be down to the Zgemma box perhaps experiencing a hardware fault (sadly I don't have access to a dedicated 28.2 aligned satellite to see if it works on that) or some sort of incompatbility with the FIRS distribution system. If I connect either my freesat compatible tv or a Humax freesat box to the sockets in the wall they both find all channels straight away, so I can confirm there is definitely a signal there but something is clearly not right with either my Zgemma box or the configuration I am using (and I have tried many other tuner settings using the advanced options).

I'm going to buy a new enigma 2 box from another manufacturer just to see if I have any better luck with another box.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoe View Post
    Im no expert... but it appear that is a quad lnb distribution box so all 4 outputs are equally horizontal/vertical switchable (as in a legacy normal quad satellite lnb) Best way to find out is to connect one of the outputs to an E2 satellite box and see what satellites (or disecq switched sateliites) are available. IE connect cable from one of 4 ports to Port A on E2 box then try an "automatic" detection of Port A. Just seen you may have already tried this... if that doesn't work maybe this system is a SKy Q or other LNB system and therefore you need a wideband/Sky Q type box to test it with..
    Thanks for the info, appreciated. I did try connecting the box to the two satellite sockets and scanning on auto but it still found nothing. Reading the technical guide, the FIRS distribution system does also support wideband Sky Q LNBs but customers that want this have to get an extra DCSS switch fitted on the GTU box. Mine does not have any visible switch fitted and also I can successfully receive channels on my freesat compatible tv and on a Humax freesat box, which would seem to prove that no extra hardware is needed for enigma 2 boxes. I suspect my Zgemma box may be faulty at this stage, so I am going to test on another enigma 2 receiver and see if this can tune any channels from the system.
    Last edited by kumquatseacat; 19-09-22 at 16:50.

Title
    Thanks
    Can you try enabling the option to send diseqc commands on tuner config. If possible, initially, please turn off the other receivers from mains when testing the Zgemma.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,941 Times in 3,265 Posts
    Please post screen grabs of your tuner config.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    I got a new receiver today (Octagon SF8008) and this works perfectly with the FIRS setup. So thank you for the help everybody but the problem turned out to be my old Zgemma box in the end. For the record, the tuner settings that abu baniaz suggested above are correct. Simple, single, 28.2. The receiver detects the signal in exactly the same way it would with a standard satellite LNB connection.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kumquatseacat For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (22-09-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted. If you still have the H7S, I would be interested in knowing if the diseqc commands option makes things work or not. Someone on another forum with a communal dish setup had to do same thing.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Glad you got it sorted. If you still have the H7S, I would be interested in knowing if the diseqc commands option makes things work or not. Someone on another forum with a communal dish setup had to do same thing.
    In my case it didn’t make any difference. I tried scanning with that setting enabled (along with all kinds of other settings just to exhaust all options) but it still found no signal. So it had to be a hardware fault on the Zgemma. On the Octagon I can get a signal without enabling the diseqc option although it still works with that enabled as well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kumquatseacat For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (26-09-22)