Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Newbie advice needed on choice of enigma2 box and streaming over LAN.

Title
    Thanks

Question Newbie advice needed on choice of enigma2 box and streaming over LAN.

I've just ditched my satellite provider, Sky UK, and wanted to set up a system where a centralised set top box, (or boxes), stream content to TV's around the house via my home network. I bought a HDHomeRun and while it did what I initially wanted the terrestrial signal in my area wasn't good enough to make it viable. I did try the Freesat box option in the UK but they are just awful to use, and it's a much easier option to have all the content contained in one app. While the HDHomeRun didn't work out for me I did like how all the OTA channels and IPTV like PlutoTV were all merged into the Google live channels app, and with the PVRLive app I was able to record content directly onto my NAS.

I am hoping using one or two enigma2 boxes would fit my needs, and narrowed it down to an AMIKO VIPER 4K V40 UHD TWIN TUNER DVB-S2X or the OCTAGON SF8008 S2X TWIN 4K UHD 2x DVB-S2X.
    What I ideally want is something that once set up can just sit on a shelf, run 24/7 unattended and then stream content via the home network to Android TV's around the home using an app like Live Channels or any other enigma2 compatible app. I know the enigma2 boxes are usually used as a traditional STB but I essentially want something like a satellite version of a HDHomeRun.
    Also, I'm not a power user all I really need is something that can use the existing SKY HD LNB, can get the Astra2 28.2 FTA channels and the SKY FTA bouquet, and ideally a box that has a good picture quality, is stable, reliable and needs fairly little effort to maintain. As I said, once set up I would rather the family watch content streamed from the enigma2 to an Android TV app than actually use the actual enigma2 box itself.

Is the above easy to do with enigma2 hardware and would either the above Amiko or Octagon boxes be a suitable choice?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by hollyt; 27-08-22 at 15:32.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Record to NAS drive:
    All Enigma2 receivers can record to a NAS drive.

HDHomerun:
    You can install the HRtunerproxy plugin to make the tuners available like a HDHomerun device. See here: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/f...wn-as-Plex-DVR

SKY HD LNB
    All Enigma2 receivers will use these. I would recommend using a receiver with an FBC tuner. If at a later stage the restrictions on services you can access owing to how a Universal LNB operates prove too much, you can change to a unicable LNB.

Once you setup the device to
    1. Update the channels/bouquets >>> See ABM section
    2. Obtain EPG data >>> See EPG section.
    There are several methods to obtain EPG data, but this may be simplest/easiest: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...K-epg-download

It will look after itself and no interaction will be needed.

There are quite a few apps on Android/Kodi to interact with Enigma2. Unfortunately, not many people share the details on satellite forums.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

hollyt (28-08-22)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice and info.