Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Create and use symlinks

Title
    Thanks

Create and use symlinks

Hi,

I have set up my vu duo as a transport for my music files to play through my speakers. I want to create playlists without duplicating the files, so my solution is to create symlinks or hardlinks. I hva done this via a terminal successfully however the vix software does not seem to recognise them. I also have the merlin player plugin, this can see both hard ans soft symlinks but if I try to play them it doe not work.

Does vix support symlinks? Can I acheive my aim of creating folders of links so I can create playlists?

Thanks,
    Dan

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danped View Post
    Does vix support symlinks? Can I acheive my aim of creating folders of links so I can create playlists?
    That's a function of the file-system, rather than the OS.
    You can use symlinks (or hard links) on ext3/4 file-systems, but not on fat ones.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    That's a function of the file-system, rather than the OS.
    You can use symlinks (or hard links) on ext3/4 file-systems, but not on fat ones.
    Thanks - How would I go about changing the file system? Is that a case of reformatting the drive?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danped View Post
    Thanks - How would I go about changing the file system? Is that a case of reformatting the drive?
    Well, formatting the partition (which might cover the whole drive).
    But first check what it is currently.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Well, formatting the partition (which might cover the whole drive).
    But first check what it is currently.
    Hmm... looks like it already is ext4:
    Attached Images Attached Images